You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Self Defence at Work.

Aventus

Would the same people who used it in the past have used "white" instead of "black" for people they'd have considered to be white?

"You white beauty"

Present day, if you have anything positive to say about a white person, and prefaced it with the word white, then that would now become racist itself. White supremacy type stuff.

I came in slightly late, he's calling me a knob head etc, I tell him to fuck off and mind his own business seeing as he works in a different department. He marches across the room waving his finger in my face telling me he's gonna kick my head in at home time then he walks off.

Couple of hours later after break, I noticed its slightly after the end of break time, I shout into the next room "it's 11 past, time to get back to work" while walking off chuckling to myself, I hear him calling me a dickhead.

I go upstairs, sit at my desk, and a couple of seconds later he flys in and punches me asking if I still think its funny.

Home time? Could you not just tell the teacher?

• Upvote 1

He’s fucked. Whatever you said he’s run up stairs and hit you.

How long you worked there?

About 5 years, him about a year or so.

The meeting I've been invited to is a disciplinary hearing, so by the looks of it they are trying to nail me too.

About 5 years, him about a year or so.

The meeting I've been invited to is a disciplinary hearing, so by the looks of it they are trying to nail me too.

So you’re ok in respect of them not being able to fire you without a valid reason.

Does the disciplinary letter you’ve received lay out the reason for the hearing? So, is it your disciplinary or are you a witness in Rocky’s?

Best advice echoes what other people have said, get advice from an employment lawyer or join a union. Your membership of the union doesn’t have to have been prior to the incident. Kirsty Rodgers at DWF in Liverpool is goood (if you are in Liverpool)

So you’re ok in respect of them not being able to fire you without a valid reason.

Does the disciplinary letter you’ve received lay out the reason for the hearing? So, is it your disciplinary or are you a witness in Rocky’s?

Best advice echoes what other people have said, get advice from an employment lawyer or join a union. Your membership of the union doesn’t have to have been prior to the incident. Kirsty Rodgers at DWF in Liverpool is goood (if you are in Liverpool)

I'm in Manchester.

The disciplinary invite is to defend myself against possible gross misconduct.

If it is clearly a matter of your discipline in question you can always ask them - in writing - whether you should seek advice.  They can either say yes, in which case you should be able to ask for more time, or no in which case any formal measures against you wouldn't reflect well on them.  Or ignore it completely, which also wouldn't reflect well on them.

Main thing is stay calm and professional.  Show willingness to maintain a constructive mindset, but don't agree to anything you aren't comfortable with.  In all likelihood they will just want it all to go away, but it happened, you were assaulted in your place of work and they shouldn't diminish that.

Oh and listen to Anubis over us amateurs. 

edit: in the case of the above, get your contract or a copy of whatever internal policy is in place and review the firm's defiinition of "gross misconduct" with the events in mind.

I'm in Manchester.

The disciplinary invite is to defend myself against possible gross misconduct.

In that case Danielle Ingham at Shoosmiths is good, if she’s not the right person she’ll point you to someone else in the business. The number for Shoosmiths is 03700 865600. Tell work you need more time to get representation, your letter should say you have the right to bring someone.

• Upvote 2

Impressed with the GF's response. Reps all round.

You haven't touched upon my area of expertise yet, so I have kept my counsel, However, if anyone does need a cup of tea, just let me know - and I'm all over it!!

Agreed, thank you everyone.

At least now I feel like I can walk in there with more than my dick in my hand.

Unless I'm victorious, then I fully intend on pulling it out and windmilling all over the place.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, thank you everyone.

At least now I feel like I can walk in there with more than my dick in my hand.

Unless I'm victorious, then I fully intend on pulling it out and windmilling all over the place.

Oh Manchester

OH MANCHESTER

Is full of...

Then again, maybe not.