Quantcast
January 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 77 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

AngryofTuebrook

January 2019 Transfer Thread

34 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I read it just to spot the grammatical error, couldn't find it. Where is it?

Well I admit I could be wrong actually. You learn a new thing every day. I assumed the conditional here was followed by a subjunctive clause, so I expected it to read 'were' not 'was'.

"There have been enquiries from English sides and if Ramsey was to remain in the Premier League he would favour a move to Liverpool. "

I guess that is why I am not a proof reader.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5177692

I expected you to chime in on the conditional-subjunctive clause dilemma, not just post gifs.

• Upvote 2

I’ve seen some suggestions on Twitter that we spoke to him and our top offer was £150k per week gross. But it is Twitter....

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I expected you to chime in on the conditional-subjunctive clause dilemma, not just post gifs.

If I were in a different line of work I would possibly be more inclined to do so.

12 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’ve seen some suggestions on Twitter that we spoke to him and our top offer was £150k per week gross. But it is Twitter....

Gross indeed.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Juventus are only supposed to be offering £140,000 I thought. Arsenal gave him a £200,000 offer but withdrew it.

140 take home. Plus, Juve are probably more attractive in other ways. Sponsorship cut, etc. 

Who wouldn't want to go to Juve? Even if he flops and is sold after one season, he'll pick up one of their now guaranteed league winner's medals, and still be young enough for someone in the Prem to take him back.

He's exactly what we have in abundance - hard working, technically solid and scores hardly any goals. We need a creative goalscoring midfielder.  

It may sound silly, but we need Memphis Depay. He's played 4 times this season as an attacking midfielder and scored 4 goals with 3 assists. He's right footed, got a good shot on him at range, and has an amazing partnership with Wijnaldum. He's not a left winger. Not quick enough, but if we played him in Coutinho's position from last season he'd be amazing for us. 

2 hours ago, Red Hot said:

We need a young Modric 

He really would look like a pauper from a Dickens novel.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

It may sound silly, but we need Memphis Depay. He's played 4 times this season as an attacking midfielder and scored 4 goals with 3 assists. He's right footed, got a good shot on him at range, and has an amazing partnership with Wijnaldum. He's not a left winger. Not quick enough, but if we played him in Coutinho's position from last season he'd be amazing for us. 

From what I've read, he's a completely unprofessional bell end who pisses off his manager and teammates to no end.

He reeks of a big fish in a small pond.

12 minutes ago, Em City said:

From what I've read, he's a completely unprofessional bell end who pisses off his manager and teammates to no end.

He reeks of a big fish in a small pond.

He doesn't really get on well with the manager. Depay criticised him for not playing him in every game, and the manager took the opportunity to iron him out in front of the whole squad about the amount of times he'd turned up late for training. It wasn't really the time or the place for it though because Depay came off the bench to win the game for them.

He's just too good for Lyon, by far. He does have a touch of the Ryan Babel's about him though. He wants to be a rapper more than a footballer, but if Klopp got hold of him and made him knuckle down, focus on his football, his talent is ridiculous. 

I don't think we'll sign him - for all the reasons that you've pointed out, but he's one of the few players that can play that type of Coutinho role for us, that wouldn't cost the Earth, and give us the creativity we may be lacking. 

I'd have about half that Lyon side here and Depay would be one of my first choices TBH.

I know this is rose-tinted glasses but I honestly think you can afford maybe one or two players with outsized egos in a squad like ours. Obviously you don't want many (and they can't be TOO out of line) but Klopp isn't going to let him get too far out of hand, and with better players like van Dijk/Salah so professional it would have to serve as an example for keeping it under control.

I think maybe Keita is the only one in our squad at present who's even close, we have a few who border on TOO professional if anything. So we could afford Depay IMO. Plus he'd come here with a burning desire to take down United which would be fun.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

#lcfc have enquired about Adam Lallana’s availability

He can do weekdays but isn't available evening and weekends.

• Upvote 8

In terms of his ability and versatility, Memphis would be a terrific fit but I'd avoid him. We're one of the most attractive sides in the world now and we can afford to be selective. Just doesn't strike me as a guy who will do his best for the team. That would be fine if he was Ronaldo, but he's not that good.