You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

It may sound silly, but we need Memphis Depay. He's played 4 times this season as an attacking midfielder and scored 4 goals with 3 assists. He's right footed, got a good shot on him at range, and has an amazing partnership with Wijnaldum. He's not a left winger. Not quick enough, but if we played him in Coutinho's position from last season he'd be amazing for us. 

2 hours ago, Boss said:

It may sound silly, but we need Memphis Depay. He's played 4 times this season as an attacking midfielder and scored 4 goals with 3 assists. He's right footed, got a good shot on him at range, and has an amazing partnership with Wijnaldum. He's not a left winger. Not quick enough, but if we played him in Coutinho's position from last season he'd be amazing for us. 

From what I've read, he's a completely unprofessional bell end who pisses off his manager and teammates to no end.

He reeks of a big fish in a small pond.

12 minutes ago, Em City said:

From what I've read, he's a completely unprofessional bell end who pisses off his manager and teammates to no end.

He reeks of a big fish in a small pond.

He doesn't really get on well with the manager. Depay criticised him for not playing him in every game, and the manager took the opportunity to iron him out in front of the whole squad about the amount of times he'd turned up late for training. It wasn't really the time or the place for it though because Depay came off the bench to win the game for them.

He's just too good for Lyon, by far. He does have a touch of the Ryan Babel's about him though. He wants to be a rapper more than a footballer, but if Klopp got hold of him and made him knuckle down, focus on his football, his talent is ridiculous. 

I don't think we'll sign him - for all the reasons that you've pointed out, but he's one of the few players that can play that type of Coutinho role for us, that wouldn't cost the Earth, and give us the creativity we may be lacking. 

I'd have about half that Lyon side here and Depay would be one of my first choices TBH.

I know this is rose-tinted glasses but I honestly think you can afford maybe one or two players with outsized egos in a squad like ours. Obviously you don't want many (and they can't be TOO out of line) but Klopp isn't going to let him get too far out of hand, and with better players like van Dijk/Salah so professional it would have to serve as an example for keeping it under control.

I think maybe Keita is the only one in our squad at present who's even close, we have a few who border on TOO professional if anything. So we could afford Depay IMO. Plus he'd come here with a burning desire to take down United which would be fun.

In terms of his ability and versatility, Memphis would be a terrific fit but I'd avoid him. We're one of the most attractive sides in the world now and we can afford to be selective. Just doesn't strike me as a guy who will do his best for the team. That would be fine if he was Ronaldo, but he's not that good.