You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

We haven't made a punt signing for a while. A player who may or not make the step up to a bigger club/better level/from a prospect to a more involved role, but doesn't break the bank.  

They've generally turned out shite - like Dossena, Adam, Aspas, Wilson, Shelvey, Coates, Assiadi, Luis Alberto. But then there's the likes of Robertson, Benayoun, Maxi, Gomez, Arbeloa, Finnan and Coutinho and Shaqiri (maybe to a lesser extent) who've come in to the club from lower teams, for a lowish fee or with no real reputation in the game and gone on to be good to very good additions to the team. 

So, I'd take the money from Solanke and slap it down for this fella. Shoya Nakajima. He plays for a team called Portimonense who've recently been promoted to the Portuguese top flight. Japanese international. Looks like he can play anywhere in the 3 positions behind a striker. Can use either foot. Fast. Skilful. Can pick a pass. He'd probably be available for a fair price as his current club aren't financial big hitters. He's got a bit of the budget Coutinho about him, with a hint of Luis Garcia. Plus, John Henry will love those Japanese shirt sales! 

Guest Alex_K
4 hours ago, aws said:

I think Arsenal have used this approach to keep their wage bill down. They'd rather risk losing some players for undervalue than customarily renew contracts with higher wages with a couple of years to go.  

That gives them far too much credit. Wenger operationally ran the club into the ground during the final few years; it probably explains why something of a coup d'etat was needed to get diversity back into the management team before they finally drove him out. Emery now has to pick up the pieces of a lopsided squad & shabby contractual position that has persisted for seasons.

Adam Lallana has reportedly been told by Jurgen Klopp that he will soon be afforded more first-team chances after it was claimed that Liverpool had rejected two approaches for the midfielder.

The England midfielder has been restricted to just two Premier League starts this season following a groin injury, but appears to be a long way down Klopp’s midfield pecking order at Anfield.

As such, reports on Friday claimed the player was open to a possible move away from Merseyside.

However, with both former club Southampton and Turkish outfit Fenerbahce making firm approaches to sign the player on loan, Liverpool have told both clubs they have no intention of allowing Lallana to leave this month.

According to Sky Sports, Klopp has told Lallana he will be more and more integrated back into the first-team in the coming months, having recently made two substitute appearances. Klopp rates Lallana highly and as such has been told in no uncertain terms that he won’t be allowed to leave – even on a temporary basis – this month.

Liverpool on Friday sanctioned the loan exit of Nathaniel Clyne and the huge sale of striker Dominic Solanke – both to Bournemouth – meaning the chances of another first-team squad man moving on look even more unlikely.

Discussing the reasons behind his move to the south coast, Solanke said: “I think the club is going somewhere. Over the past few years, they have been really good in the Premier League and had some good positional finishes as well. I think it’s a good club to be at, especially for someone of my age.

“I spoke with the manager this morning (Friday). He is a really nice guy. From playing and watching the Premier League, I know the sort of manager he is. I was excited to meet him and am really looking forward to working with him and seeing what he’s about.

“My main target is to score goals and, being a striker, hopefully I can get a few for the team and help the team get wins. Playing in the Premier League, every game is tough and together we can try to do as well as we can.”

4 hours ago, Thoth said:

WARNOCK FUMES AT LIVERPOOL

"It's a disgrace for me, it's a lack of class isn't it?"

An angry Neil Warnock has accused Liverpool of "lacking class" after Cardiff missed out on a loan deal for Nathaniel Clyne

I like to think that is because of Colin Wankers comments about Salah the other week. Sweet if it is.

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Why the fuck would Lallana want to go back to Southampton after the abuse they give him when we play there. Him and Lovren get proper abused. Have we been there since we signed VVD? He will no doubt get the same shit. Cunt of a club. 

And we've always been so pleasant to Sterling, Torres, Owen, etc! Goes with the territory. No big deal...

Has there been a 'We are not interested in Abdulkadir Omur and we have no idea where these stories come from' statement yet? No?

Must mean we're signing him...

12 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Abdulkadir Omur, £27m left footed attacking savant from Trabzonspor? It works for me Clive.

I think 3 Stacks keeps in touch with how Trabzonspur get on, would be good to have his insight into the player.

Good to hear that we're going to replace Markovic with a quick-footed, fairly lightweight, but highly rated young winger from a third rate league.

• Upvote 9

Origi is surely a safer bet for a mid-table club than Solanke, in that he’s actually scored goals at this level and also as a senior international. 

Still, we’d be showing wonderful character in relying on Sturridge’s availability as our only senior attacking replacement. 

STURRIDGE MAY GET NEW REDS DEAL

Jurgen Klopp has refused to rule out a new deal for striker Daniel Sturridge, according to reports in the Express.

The some-time England international's current contract expires this summer.

"We don't talk about things like that. Nothing to say. As long as the boys are here then anything is possible," said the German when quizzed about the possibility of the 29-year-old still being at Anfield next season

KLOPP: OUR YOUNGSTERS HAVE BRIGHT FUTURE

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is prepared to give youth a chance in their FA Cup tie at Wolves, but it may be a little too early for academy prospect Ki-Jana Hoever.

The 16-year-old full-back has been training with the first team after making rapid progress through the youth sides since joining Liverpool from Ajax four months ago.

While there is a possibility of him travelling with the squad to Molineux, Klopp is unsure whether he will see any action.

"He's one for the future, of course. But what we will do with him now for the game, I don't know," said Klopp.

"If Joel (Matip) and Joe (Gomez) would have been fit all the time now then probably Ki-Jana would not have been in training. Now he was in and still is in, it's just a joy to watch him.

"He's an incredible, confident, young fella and he's really a good player on top. That we can see him day in, day out is really cool.

"For sure for the future. When the future starts? I don't know. But he's in, he learns a lot, he improves and it will happen automatically

SHOOTER MAY WIN MILLIONS ON LOTTERY

Shooter in the Motor has refused to rule out winning millions on the National Lottery, according to reports on TLW.

The some-time TLW member's current ticket expires at the end of this weekend.

"We don't talk about things like that. Nothing to say. As long as there are tickets to buy then anything is possible," said the Englishman when quizzed about the possibility of the him winning millions next week.