You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

He doesn't look like a left back at all to me.  Never seen any particular defensive instinct and reckon he was played there at youth level to build up his work ethic (with his brother, who is a more defensively inclined player, on the other side). 

He's an 18 year old, with good positional sense, very good touch and physically capable of coping with the premiership, but he's struggling to find the opportunities that he had in the Championship (where Fulham would batter sides and create chances for him to pop up at the far post).  He's also showing himself to be more of a forward than a wide midfielder as he doesn't seem to create many chances for himself or others, which is a side of his game I expected more from.  He fluffed his lines when he got in against us and he is learning that in the Premiership you can't afford to miss those chances, especially in a relegation scrap (which is a lot of pressure for a kid his age to have to handle for a club he undoubtedly wants to do his best for). 

He's a long long way behind Sancho, a fair bit behind Foden even (haven't seen enough of Nelson this year to compare, but assuming he's a way ahead as well - although like the other two he's been working with better sides for a much longer time).  But if City snapped him up I'd be worried, because he'd be perfect for Pep's system once he was bedded in (he fits the mould for the same role Sterling's been playing for them).  If Spurs get him I wouldn't be too worried, Utd would ruin him and if we got him he'd be boss.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, aRdja said:

@cloggypop, so much hype re Frenkie De Jong. Apparently nailed on to move to Barca next season. Your thoughts? 

I'm not who you asked but I posted about De Jong about a year ago when his numbers started to pop off the page.

He hasn't really slowed down since then. He's really quite unique in terms of ball progression, which is one things our analysts seem to really value (Keita is also quite good at this). But it's not just that, he not only dribbles more and further forward (by a factor of two!) than any other midfielder in the top 5 leagues + Eredivisie, but his passing numbers in the final third are extraordinary.

Big step up from Ajax to Barca, but if anyone can do it he can. If he replicates anywhere near what he's doing once he gets there he has a chance to genuinely be one of the game's greats. Even if he doesn't reach his full potential I still expect him to be a really, really good player.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

He doesn't look like a left back at all to me.  Never seen any particular defensive instinct and reckon he was played there at youth level to build up his work ethic (with his brother, who is a more defensively inclined player, on the other side). 

He's an 18 year old, with good positional sense, very good touch and physically capable of coping with the premiership, but he's struggling to find the opportunities that he had in the Championship (where Fulham would batter sides and create chances for him to pop up at the far post).  He's also showing himself to be more of a forward than a wide midfielder as he doesn't seem to create many chances for himself or others, which is a side of his game I expected more from.  He fluffed his lines when he got in against us and he is learning that in the Premiership you can't afford to miss those chances, especially in a relegation scrap (which is a lot of pressure for a kid his age to have to handle for a club he undoubtedly wants to do his best for). 

He's a long long way behind Sancho, a fair bit behind Foden even (haven't seen enough of Nelson this year to compare, but assuming he's a way ahead as well - although like the other two he's been working with better sides for a much longer time).  But if City snapped him up I'd be worried, because he'd be perfect for Pep's system once he was bedded in (he fits the mould for the same role Sterling's been playing for them).  If Spurs get him I wouldn't be too worried, Utd would ruin him and if we got him he'd be boss.

To me he looks like someone who would have great technique for a fullback but only decent for a winger. He does seem to have good goal scoring instincts, I agree with you there. And I'm sure he'd rather play up front than in defense. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

To me he looks like someone who would have great technique for a fullback but only decent for a winger. He does seem to have good goal scoring instincts, I agree with you there. 

Yeah, fair point in terms of dribbling (especially compared to the other guys I mentioned - Sessegnon seems to rely more on just taking players on for pace, which isn't as easy in the Prem).  His first touch and close passing game is really where he seems to excel, I haven't seen many good longer deliveries or the vision to split a defence.  But if anything, those are the techniques you need more from deeper positions.  Also, technique doesn't often help defending against Premiership wingers, which is where I feel he'd be exposed.  Fulham just don't have the centre backs to even take that risk. 

Ranieri might be good for him in that respect mind you. 

I think with Sessegnon he hasn’t been used to his full potential, he’s much better playing further up the pitch, he’s always trying to do something positive with the ball, I think now Ranieri is at Fulham he’ll flourish under him, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him played on the right cutting in like Mahrez did for Leicester under him, he changed him and it paid off.

A big test for him but he’s a kid really and there’s been a lot of promise put on his shoulders, it’s hard to put your name out there playing left back unless you’re Robbo who’s an absolute monster at LB.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months, Ranieri will turn it around because he’ll fix the defence, Joe Bryan should play LB and he’ll push Sessegnon further up, apparently Ranieri wants Matip.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'm not who you asked but I posted about De Jong about a year ago when his numbers started to pop off the page.

He hasn't really slowed down since then. He's really quite unique in terms of ball progression, which is one things our analysts seem to really value (Keita is also quite good at this). But it's not just that, he not only dribbles more and further forward (by a factor of two!) than any other midfielder in the top 5 leagues + Eredivisie, but his passing numbers in the final third are extraordinary.

Big step up from Ajax to Barca, but if anyone can do it he can. If he replicates anywhere near what he's doing once he gets there he has a chance to genuinely be one of the game's greats. Even if he doesn't reach his full potential I still expect him to be a really, really good player.

You think Barca will play him further up the pitch then or have him running from deep, possibly from CB? 

QUEUE FORMING FOR FABINHO
We passed on some whispers on Friday that AC Milan were sniffing around Fabinhoand generally rubbished the whole idea.

Perhaps, though, the Liverpool midfielder or his representatives are exploring his options because this morning, Milan are joined by one of their Serie A rivals in pursuing the Brazilian

According to Sport Mediaset, Juventus are keen to offer Fabinho the hope of more regular football than he has been enjoying at Anfield since he moved from Monaco in the summer.

That prospect seems even more peculiar than the Milan rumours. Juve are hardly struggling for central midfielders, especially since they signed Emre Can from Liverpool only a few months ago.

One player far more likely to be heading for the Anfield exit in January is Divock Origi. ESPN reckons Galatasaray want a loan deal the centre-forward who has payed even less football than Fabinho – just 11 minutes this season – while the Mirror says Wolves are willing to fork out £20million for the 23-year-old.

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Sell Origi to Wolves, and bagsie first dibs on Neves next summer. Job done.

Sell Wolves a dud to convince them to sell their best player to us.

gatsby.gif