You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

16 hours ago, Angie81 said:

I get the impression you don't think I'm one of us. I could be totally wrong. Maybe it's just the vibe I'm getting here or whatever.

Can I be one of us? 

Nah it was just my poor attempt at humour whilst disgusted that you had managed 11 posts without anyone else asking the same thing. Welcome to the forum. If you need anything, Lifeys PM is open. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Can I be one of us? 

Nah it was just my poor attempt at humour whilst disgusted that you had managed 11 posts without anyone else asking the same thing. Welcome to the forum. If you need anything, Lifeys PM is open. 

Have you asked about beans yet? If not, you were never one of us anyway. 

• Upvote 1

MIGNOLET STAYING PUT

Simon Mignolet is set to stay at Liverpool in January, reports ESPN.

The Belgium international is keen to leave Anfield after falling down the pecking order following the arrival of Alisson.

Mignolet has made just two appearances all season but Liverpool want him to remain at the club until the summer to provide cover

NO LIVERPOOL RETURN FOR COUTINHO

Liverpool have no intention of re-signing Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The Brazil international has struggled to transfer his form from Liverpool to Barca and is reportedly unsettled just a year after his £142m transfer.

Clubs across Europe are keeping tabs on Coutinho, but Liverpool - who fought to keep hold of the influential playmaker – are not one of them

ORIGI IN FOR KANE?

Tottenham are considering Liverpool striker Divock Origi as a temporary replacement for Harry Kane, reports the Daily Star.

The England's captain has been ruled out until March with an ankle ligament injury sustained in Spurs’ defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.

Kane’s injury leaves Spurs short of attacking options, Lucas Moura injured and Son Heung-min is away at the Asia Cup.

It means Mauricio Pochettino could pursue a short-term deal for Belgium international Origi as he desperately looks for reinforcements

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Can I be one of us? 

Forgive me for the overkill of posts, I talk to myself. I like it. It makes me one of us as we're all nuts anyway. Thanks for the welcome.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, Doctor Troy said:

BBC gossip reckons Arsenal want to sign James Rodriguez on loan and that the loan fee for the rest of the season is £3m as Bayern Munich have hardly played him. Arsenal can't afford him unless they bin off Ozil and his massive wages. 

We should try to get him in on loan.

He’s over the hill shite that wasn’t any good in the first place.  Madrid had a clanger paying 60 odd million for him off one screamer in the World Cup especially considering Suarez went for around the same.  Even if you don’t agree with any of that there will be a reason why Bayern are trying to get shut of him.  We stopped wasting our time with signings like that years ago and we shouldn’t be starting it up again.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He’s over the hill shite that wasn’t any good in the first place.  Madrid had a clanger paying 60 odd million for him off one screamer in the World Cup especially considering Suarez went for around the same.  Even if you don’t agree with any of that there will be a reason why Bayern are trying to get shut of him.  We stopped wasting our time with signings like that years ago and we shouldn’t be starting it up again.

There is something up alright, albeit, he's not exactly over the hill at 27 though - thought he looked pretty good in World cup until picked up injury Pre England game...reckon he could have swung it in Colombias favour!

I'm still convinced nothing will happen on signings front though!

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Thought he might have been ok on loan for 3m as we have no real cover in the final third and we are unlikely to make any permanent signings. Bit risky as a big money transfer for the reasons you've outlined.

Presuming nothing will be done this January, looking forward to the summer there really aren't any more huge holes to fill. Rumours we're looking for a big-money striker, and of course the "Fekir replacement" but other than that not much for the first XI.

I just wonder if we won't take another look at Bruno Fernandes at some point. Just went and looked it up after seeing him mentioned as a fanciful Everton target and he has 15 goals in all competitions so far this season! Quite a few in the cups against poor opposition but even so, that's some going for a midfielder. 9 assists as well. And the price seems to have come down some - when we were rumoured to be interested the price was 80m euro, now it's supposedly 40m.

Kai Havertz would still be my first choice at the 10 but failing that I'd not say no to Fernandes coming in alongside Timo Werner next summer.

Now that we don't have any major holes left in our first XI I think our fans are going to have to get used to the idea that not every purchase has to necessarily replace a first XI player like-for-like.

We talk about City having a deep squad because they already had the two Silvas and De Bruyne and they still went out and spent big money on Mahrez. We have Shaqiri, Keita, and Oxlade-Chamberlain, but that doesn't mean we can't use a Havertz or a Fernandes all the same. Little matter which of them is on the bench and which starts from game to game - we'll need them all by the end of the season.

We want the same kind of situation the oil clubs have where we can have an injury or two and instead of relying on a fringe or youth player we have someone else of similar quality to step in.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Now that we don't have any major holes left in our first XI I think our fans are going to have to get used to the idea that not every purchase has to necessarily replace a first XI player like-for-like.

We talk about City having a deep squad because they already had the two Silvas and De Bruyne and they still went out and spent big money on Mahrez. We have Shaqiri, Keita, and Oxlade-Chamberlain, but that doesn't mean we can't use a Havertz or a Fernandes all the same. Little matter which of them is on the bench and which starts from game to game - we'll need them all by the end of the season.

We want the same kind of situation the oil clubs have where we can have an injury or two and instead of relying on a fringe or youth player we have someone else of similar quality to step in.

We need to strengthen in central midfield. Only Fabinho and Wijnaldum in my opinion has been anywhere near the required standard so far this season. Required standard  to win things that is.

We have depth, so the next CM signing should be world class and a direct improvement.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rambo Rambo said:

I’d consider looking for a top draw RB (no idea who as I don’t follow foreign football or play footy manager etc). TAA can then be used in the middle and provide great cover at RB. 

Next you'll be telling us you don't YouTube scout