You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

With Matip back this week, Gomez back shortly, and Hoever looking good for cover on the right, I’m more worried about what happens if Robbo gets injured given who’s seemingly next in line there.

Adam Lewis hopefully because the cunt Moreno is shit and doesn’t give a shit.

17 minutes ago, Anubis said:

With Matip back this week, Gomez back shortly, and Hoever looking good for cover on the right, I’m more worried about what happens if Robbo gets injured given who’s seemingly next in line there.

Matip not back this week. Only back training.

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Matip might be back for Brighton. 

Gomez back in 2-3 weeks. We only have 2 games before the 30th Jan. We are not signing a CB 

This.

The really scary lack of cover is at left-back, where we have an ageing right-footed midfielder and a shit-flinging chimp as cover for Robbo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Surely there is no one left who doesn't acknowledge that we need a CB on loan at the very least? We just had to play a 16 year old out of position last night. 

People talk about short term solutions but a makeshift out of position defence that then reduces options in midfield is a far worse solution. 

We are trying to win the fucking league! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Surely there is no one left who doesn't acknowledge that we need a CB on loan at the very least? We just had to play a 16 year old out of position last night. 

People talk about short term solutions but a makeshift out of position defence that then reduces options in midfield is a far worse solution. 

We are trying to win the fucking league! 

Plus sell Origi and we only have Sturridge for cover up top. We must surely be bringing a couple at least in. The silence is quite reassuring as it has been previous windows strategy.

This squad of players are the reason for the best first half of a season in the clubs history. Getting rid of the fringe players in the space of 2 weeks and bringing some in isn't just highly unlikely, it would be fucking mental. It could upset the whole balance of the squad. 

• Upvote 1

I can see why we're not bringing in a centre half right now - it's a very short term need. Unless it's a world class option like Alisson or VVD, it takes time for a player to get up to speed tactically with what we're doing. It could do more damage than good.

In the longer term, I'd like to see us in for Ake as somebody to compete with Gomez.

I also agree that we're more vulnerable at the other end if one of the front three gets injured, particularly on last night's evidence.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

d a centre back. Beyond fucking stupid letting clyne go when he is solid reliable cover at right back. Do not want to end up with gomez right back and fabinho at centre back condemning us to a midfield trio  of gini, Henderson and Milner.  

Lets get Asprilla and do a Newcastle. Letting Clyne go with no cover on the right or left fullbck position was absolutely mental. Must mean someone is coming in. Going into the last half off the season without any cover defensively is absolutely suicide.

16 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I can see why we're not bringing in a centre half right now - it's a very short term need. Unless it's a world class option like Alisson or VVD, it takes time for a player to get up to speed tactically with what we're doing. It could do more damage than good.

In the longer term, I'd like to see us in for Ake as somebody to compete with Gomez.

I also agree that we're more vulnerable at the other end if one of the front three gets injured, particularly on last night's evidence.

I can see adaption issue that for a midfielder or up top but a CB is a CB. A Decent player knows when to move and when to stay.

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We won't buy a CB but we really should. We have one fit first team CB. One! At least in the short term we're going to risk dropping points and losing first place. 

Yeah but it's Virgil Van Dijk. He's got this. 

Guest Alex_K

United were winning titles with Carrick running around in centre defence. If Van Dijk stays fit we'll be OK. If he doesn't.. We wouldn't anyway. Letting Clyne go though seems bizarre.

49 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There's the rub. Gomez and Matip (and Lovren and Phillips?) would likely be match-ready before any incoming CB.

We need him for two games. I mean if he can keep a good line and win a tackle, i’d take that. 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This.

The really scary lack of cover is at left-back, where we have an ageing right-footed midfielder and a shit-flinging chimp as cover for Robbo.

Blatantly.

The whole point of insurance is that it’s better to have and not need than need and not have; you’re actively hoping not to use it but it’s there to cover your arse. Clyne was decent insurance during a season when we’re trying to get a virtual 30 year monkey off our back.

What reward do we get for cashing in the policy? Who gives a fuck if he stays here for six more months not playing, which supporter will be devastated about that wage loss?

Which supporter won’t give a fuck if Trent and Robbo both get injured at the same time and that fucking moron ends up playing left-back in crunch title-deciders? 

Obviously those of us who think the above haven’t been looking at the teamsheet for the past couple of years and must think Clyne has been a squad regular. There can’t be any other explanation for seeing the potential for this to bite us than believing him to have been an integral part of the first team because we’ve not paid attention. 

• Upvote 1