You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Those two aren't helping us win the league. They're non-factors. 

Stop grouping them together. Nobody gives a fuck about Solanke. But I am pissed off about Clyne for a number of reasons. 

We are depleted in defence already with Gomez and Matip out. 

It implies Lovren will be playing CB and Gomez playing RB to cover Trent or ahead of him. 

If Milner/Fabinho cover RB that depletes midfield options. 

If we lose another CB we are really stretching the squad. 

It has implications for left back as well as it means Moreno is more likely to play. 

We are still in the FA Cup and the Champions league, we need to utilise the entire squad to its fullest, especially if we progress. 

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1

Are we raising funds early in transfer window to clear the way for a transfer or two ourselves? It would be nice to think there is a realisation that just a signing or two could really improve the squad for the later half of the season. In pole position in the league and a CL run under way would certainly be helped by an extra player or two. Solanke was obviously not good enough but I wish Clyne well and feel he still has a bit to offer.

16 minutes ago, lebron said:

Of all those deals, the Kevin Stewart one still stands out. Has there ever been a poorer player transferred for that much money? I get that he was a hard-working player, but he had virtually no strengths to his game apart from that. All the others had something about them that made them stand out at one point or another, and forward players are generally much more expensive.  Smith at 8m is close, shocking the amount of money we've recouped the last few years, Edwards is certainly earning his money.

What makes that deal more surreal is that Robbo came to us in the other direction for a similar fee. Net spend orgasm. 

26 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Stop grouping them together. Nobody gives a fuck about Solanke. But I am pissed off about Clyne for a number of reasons. 

We are depleted in defence already with Gomez and Matip out. 

It implies Lovren will be playing CB and Gomez playing RB to cover Trent or ahead of him. 

If Milner/Fabinho cover RB that depletes midfield options. 

If we lose another CB we are really stretching the squad. 

It has implications for left back as well as it means Moreno is more likely to play. 

We are still in the FA Cup and the Champions league, we need to utilise the entire squad to its fullest, especially if we progress. 

This is it in a nutshell.

Be interested to know if we got a loan fee for Clyne separate from the £19M or if his loan was used to sweeten the Solanke deal at all.

We’ve fleeced Bournemouth on the latter, but all joking aside the Clyne deal is just too big a risk and, with respect to him, I don’t think his desire to play regularly is here or there given what’s on the line.

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Are we raising funds early in transfer window to clear the way for a transfer or two ourselves? It would be nice to think there is a realisation that just a signing or two could really improve the squad for the later half of the season. In pole position in the league and a CL run under way would certainly be helped by an extra player or two. Solanke was obviously not good enough but I wish Clyne well and feel he still has a bit to offer.

I don’t think the club really think in terms of windows, good money was offered for someone we don’t see as needing long term so we took it. This will benefit the budget whenever we do decide to spend.

Also Klopp thinks of players so likes to give them opportunities to play elsewhere if he’s not picking them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Is it me or is there some weird money laundering operation between Liverpool, Southampton and Bournemouth?. Just need to get Brighton involved now.

Well, they're all ports, aren't they. Nice easy docking for your superyacht...

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Those two aren't helping us win the league. They're non-factors. 

That's the point, surely? They were purchased to contribute, their contribution stopped, they leave. Get alternative(s) that contribute.

Not too worried about Clyne leaving.

TAA, Milner, Fabinho, Gomez and even Henderson are all options at RB, and most of them are probably at least as good AS the current version of Clyne.

As for the Wolves game I dont think Klopp will play anyone from the first team squad at RB. Rafa Camacho, or even that 16 year old dutch lad are more likely options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

He can cover left-back too.

If Robbo is out for a run of games at any point between now and May, it’s pretty much going to be a man with a gorilla holding a gun tattooed on his thigh, who likes taking the dog for a walk on a hoverboard.

Or Milner 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Or Milner 

I take your point mate, but having seen just how eagerly the gods spread cheeks to ram cock in LFC ass, I’d have taken the insurance option of telling him “Sorry, you’re needed for the next 6 months even if you’re sat down for all of it.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

I take your point mate, but having seen just how eagerly the gods spread cheeks to ram cock in LFC ass, I’d have taken the insurance option of telling him “Sorry, you’re needed for the next 6 months even if you’re sat down for all of it.”

I would’ve only let him go the moment Gomez proves himself ready to start a game.

40 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Rumours that Chelsea are looking at Lozano. Hopes and dreams shattering like glass in a grinder over the other side of the park.

PSV aren't selling him according to the local paper yesterday. Includes quotes from his agent. 

https://www.ed.nl/psv/raiola-drukt-transferrumoer-rond-lozano-de-kop-in-lozano-blijft-bij-psv~a89207cd/

SOLANKE OUT UNTIL FEBRUARY

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has revealed new signing Dominic Solanke has a hamstring injury and probably won’t play until February.

Solanke joined yesterday in a £19m deal from Liverpool and did not play in Bournemouth's FA Cup defeat to Brighton today.

1 minute ago, Thoth said:

SOLANKE OUT UNTIL FEBRUARY

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has revealed new signing Dominic Solanke has a hamstring injury and probably won’t play until February.

Solanke joined yesterday in a £19m deal from Liverpool and did not play in Bournemouth's FA Cup defeat to Brighton today.

NO BACKSIES!