You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

9 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Happy to see Solanke get a bit more gametime, but I'm surprised we're shedding players in the one area of the squad where we're just lacking a little depth.

Don't worry too much, it's the FSG way: get yourself into a great position around January and the secure no further attacking resources so that when the manager looks at his depleted bench in April and May there is no one of sufficient quality to bring on.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Happy to see Solanke get a bit more gametime, but I'm surprised we're shedding players in the one area of the squad where we're just lacking a little depth.

There is literally zero chance of him playing though is there.

He is behind the first choice front 3 of course plus Origi and Sturridge - Shaqiri would get in a front 3 before him too. Klopp fancies Brewster as his Rashford too IMO and would probably rather see him be around the squad than Solanke in 2nd half of season.

That is a hell of a long way from playing for us - a loan makes sense 

19 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Don't worry too much, it's the FSG way: get yourself into a great position around January and the secure no further attacking resources so that when the manager looks at his depleted bench in April and May there is no one of sufficient quality to bring on.

Imagine choosing this as your moment to have a go at FSG!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Solanke was given the same chances Gerrard, Fowler, Carragher, Sterling, Origi, Ibe, Woodburn Trent and Gomez were.

Some work out, some don't.

A lot of those names came into teams that needed players in their positions. Solanke has not been given the same chances as those listed and that's purely because of the players in front of him. Perhaps it's not a reflection on his quality, more the quality of the other players - the same as the others listed above, although no-one can question the quality of Gerrard and Fowler.

29 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Imagine choosing this as your moment to have a go at FSG!

If we win the title I will be absolutely over the moon and probably out on the town for a week. The feeling would be absolutely incredible as Liverpool have never won the title during my period of cognisance on this planet, can only really remember dad dancing around the kitchen in 1990 listening to the radio.

However I criticise now as when Rodgers looked at his bench during that Chelsea game and Klopp against Sevilla and then Madrid last season and saw the paucity of options that was almost entirely down to naivety/incompetence of those above them, so if that occurs again I will far less than suprised.

• Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, moof said:

And the season before that he scored 2 goals on loan at Leicester. 

You’re right that we shouldn’t write young players off. But I write them all off. I’m then right 98% of the time. 

Nah, I’m not one for Solanke, but in steam built around him, he could grab a few goals. Who knows where he goes from there. 

He needs top level games, for sure. Then there’s the case that he might be a saleable asset after. I mean, some just aren’t cut out for LFC. Ings is doing really well, for example. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

There is literally zero chance of him playing though is there.

He is behind the first choice front 3 of course plus Origi and Sturridge - Shaqiri would get in a front 3 before him too. Klopp fancies Brewster as his Rashford too IMO and would probably rather see him be around the squad than Solanke in 2nd half of season.

That is a hell of a long way from playing for us - a loan makes sense 

Sure, but what happens if Mane and Salah get injured? It just seems a little risky to me.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Sure, but what happens if Mane and Salah get injured? It just seems a little risky to me.

I hear you but in that scenario probably shaq goes into front 3 with one of sturridge or origi which still leaves one of them on bench ahead of Solanke....

I am also of the view (I may be proven wrong of course in time) that Solanke is not much cop and especially not in our system....as i have said previously and earlier in this thread i believe he will have a career on a par with Cameron Jerome - knocking about the lower end of the top division and the upper end of the 2nd tier.

• Upvote 1

I should add, Solanke is a full England international, so we're not exactly talking about some green youngster here.

I also think it's expecting a lot for Brewster to come in after a long-term injury and make a contribution straight away. I'd be loaning him out instead, quite frankly.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Bring Wilson back if Jurgen thinks he needs cover. A better prospect than Solanke and fits the way we play. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I should add, Solanke is a full England international, so we're not exactly talking about some green youngster here.

I also think it's expecting a lot for Brewster to come in after a long-term injury and make a contribution straight away. I'd be loaning him out instead, quite frankly.

Having an England cap means frankly nothing as far as I am concerned - he has shown nothing for us albeit in limited chances, but if he was training well and showing anything he'd surely be ahead of say Origi....he clearly isn't and that for me says it all.

I agree on Brewster and how much of an ask it is and i don't expect us to rely on him but i do think Klopp wants him to get a taste of being in squad and clearly thinks he is going to be around squad ahead of Solanke.

I know we play a front 3 so cover is needed but looks to me Solanke is number 7 in line for a spot in that 3.

It is the equivalent of being a 5th choice centre half!