You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

24 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I will be very surprised if we sign anyone in January.

I think the plan was to spend big on Fekir and give Danny Ward a chance but we then decided to spend big on Alisson and sign Shaqiri instead? 

Glad we did the latter 

7 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I thought they had scrapped the rule about being cup tied this season?

I thought a player could play the first half of the season for one club in the Europa and not be cup tied for the CL, and vice versa.

At least if we get bumped down into the Europa League we’re allowed to sign a player from a team that didn’t fail in the group stages of the CL!

Marouane Fellaini, anyone?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I thought a player could play the first half of the season for one club in the Europa and not be cup tied for the CL, and vice versa.

At least if we get bumped down into the Europa League we’re allowed to sign a player from a team that didn’t fail in the group stages of the CL!

Marouane Fellaini, anyone?

Aubameyang was cup tied for Arsenal, presumably for playing in the Champions League first half of last season? 

43.06 As a rule, a player may not play in the UEFA Champions League and/or UEFA Europa League for more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the group stage. Moreover, as from the start of the round of 16, a player can be registered in accordance with Paragraph 45.01 to Paragraph 45.03. A substitute player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present regulations.

43.07 The UEFA administration decides on questions of player eligibility. Challenged decisions are dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body.

UEFA Regulations 2018/2019.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/55/82/79/2558279_DOWNLOAD.pdf

11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why in God's name would we try to sign Fekir after what happened in the summer? Blows my mind people think we'll be back in for him. 

Maybe the FSG hospital in Boston has pioneered some exciting new bionic knee technology and we're now convinced he can be healthy long-term with the right surgeon?

7 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Origi of the Carpathians for this fix.

I actually would include Origi in the squad. We seem pretty one paced off the bench and I do wonder if his pace could help open a few games. Pre that dirty blue cunt doing him he was developing into a good forward. 

Outside of the box Sturridge offers little. Try Origi/Shaqiri, Mane wide,Salah through the middle Bobby as the 10. 

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't want us to sign him. Certainly not for that much. He seems to be a bit of a prick. We don't need anyone disrupting the squad. 

Norrarsed about him but the nobody coming in comments might be a 'problem'...even given how tough it can be to get the right player in Jan - there is an argument quality forward depth and or the creative hole in our midfield being fixed could be the difference between silverware and the wait for it going on.

52 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't want us to sign him. Certainly not for that much. He seems to be a bit of a prick. We don't need anyone disrupting the squad. 

Stig, any chance you can change your signature to italics or something?  Every time I read your posts I read that you're a prick from Prescot.

Unless it's on a thread on Scotch Barn baths, which would be fair enough...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, razor said:

Stig, any chance you can change your signature to italics or something?  Every time I read your posts I read that you're a prick from Prescot.

Unless it's on a thread on Scotch Barn baths, which would be fair enough...

I am a prick from Prescot. Done though. 

Scotchbarn Baths have been knocked down now. Used to go as a kid and our primary school used to take us there for swimming too. When I went with my mates it was always a packet of Iced Gems from the vending machine then a game of Street Fighter on the arcade. Swim then down to the chippy up the road on the corner for a sausage dinner. 

• Upvote 2