You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I get that, just saying I don't see what we, or he, would lose from giving him some extended time with the side.  The issue with him is getting used to the pace we play at, he's not going to improve in that respect at Hertha.

I just think it would serve him better to train with better players for an extended period, then go out in January to get gametime.

December is:

Everton (h)

Burnley (a)

Bournemouth (a)

CL match 6 (?)

Man United (h)

Wolves (a)

Newcastle (h)

Arsenal (h)

Man City (a - 1st Jan)

Then the FA Cup could actually give him a game.  If there's room in the squad list, we may as well keep ourselves well-equipped for that.  Especially with the durability of Lallana in question.

• Upvote 2

Fairly certain we told Celtic to fuck off about taking any of our players on loan. It was in The Echo a while back, apparently we’re not impressed with the way Rodgers used loan players last season.

Hopefully we did.  We shouldn't loan them anything while that cretin is Manager regardless.

Would prefer it if we kept him about until January to be honest. Give him some time training with these players. Gametime might be scarce but got to have a decent look at him and gives us an extra body for that long December we have ahead of us (which will make or break our season).

Sure we have Jones and Shaqiri looks capable of fitting into a role there as well, but still... feels like he's destined for the loan purgatory I mentioned in the other thread.

He’s probably 8th choice centre mid for 3 places. I think we’ll be sound. Will do him good to play in Germany for a full season

I think training with our team for six months, with limited gametime during the busy period, would do it better.

If we're doing well with injuries and the opportunity doesn't come his way then he can still get a loan easily enough in Jan.

At least lengthening his contract is essentially doing what we criticise Chelsea for. He'll be 23 when he gets back and likely still not prepared to play for us - if he ever will be. In fact the cynic in me would suggest that protecting our investment seems to be just as likely a motivation as an earnest interest in what's best for the player, so there's plenty of room for argument thanks.

I think training with our team for six months, with limited gametime during the busy period, would do it better.

If we're doing well with injuries and the opportunity doesn't come his way then he can still get a loan easily enough in Jan.

At least lengthening his contract is essentially doing what we criticise Chelsea for. He'll be 23 when he gets back and likely still not prepared to play for us - if he ever will be. In fact the cynic in me would suggest that protecting our investment seems to be just as likely a motivation as an earnest interest in what's best for the player, so there's plenty of room for argument thanks.

Can’t agree with that - he needs to be playing week in week out at his age. The club could have sold him for a profit this window, they chose not to.

What’s the point in him sitting on his arse with the off chance he might make an appearance a few weeks before you’d send him on loan?

Ideally he’d have gone on loan to a PL side but he just needs to play.

Because we train, he'd be immersed in the gameplay and style. He'd be directly measured against the players he should be aiming to displace.

I believe in the loan system, but if overdone it just drives a wedge between the player and the side that employs them. Especially at critical points in a players career.

He's played, he's proven what he can do. A six month period to get into shape to be a Liverpool player is an opportunity not a hindrance.

Yeah, making young players sign new 5 year contracts before loaning them out is us across the board now by the looks of it.

With the way player fees are going up, even if they don’t show enough to contribute here we should bank a tidy fee from it.

Horrible and shitness of modern football-fodder, but also quite reassuring to see us being so ruthless, in a way.

If he couldn't break into our team pre Keita and Fabinho then i don't see how he breaks in now and going forward as we look to improve on players he couldn't get near previously.

He isn't a baby, he'll be 23 at end of this loan.

So him being on loan makes even more financial sense than him playing U23 football.