You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I reckon we'll sign one of the players we were rumoured to get in the summer. (Fekir, Pulisic, Rabiot, etc.)

I reckon come January we might very well be balls deep in a title race, and if that's the case then it makes sense to get some of the summer signings in 6 months early to try and bring done fresh legs in to push us over the line.

• Downvote 1

Guest Alex_K

With the number of world class players now at the club, they’ll have to manage the wage bill and new contracts very carefully. Would expect a batch of younger players in the next round after the more tried and tested variation this summer.

Isn’t there already one of these? Must be on the MF.

Barring serious injuries or an absolute no brainer deal materialising, I don’t want anyone in January. Don’t want the kids’ progress being impeded and also want to see us keep our powder dry for one or two massive summer deals.

If in the unlikely event that Mbappé (or similar stellar talent) is willing and able to join us in the summer, I’d be fucking furious if we were priced out because of the “we need another centre half” nonsense and we’d spent a wedge on a player not really needed.

Let’s get back to two out, two in - and also make sure there’s room for the kids.

• Upvote 2

Isn’t there already one of these? Must be on the MF.

Barring serious injuries or an absolute no brainer deal materialising, I don’t want anyone in January. Don’t want the kids’ progress being impeded and also want to see us keep our powder dry for one or two massive summer deals.

If in the unlikely event that Mbappé (or familiar stellar talent) is willing and able to join us in the summer, I’d be fucking furious if we were priced out because of the “we need another centre half” nonsense and we’d spent a wedge on a player not really needed.

Let’s get back to two out, two in - and also make sure there’s room for the kids.

Sensible Samuel over here.

I reserve the right to have a meltdown if we don't sign somebody (identity to be determined) I've only ever seen a three minute YouTube highlights reel of. And Neves.

• Upvote 3

I think the bigger picture here is that we have pretty much all the major holes in our squad filled, and not by players who are about to leave/start declining as they age.

Obviously we're not just going to sit on our hands for the next 3 years until everyone starts turning 29, so what will our recruitment look like in the meantime?

For me, it should be about youth. There is no longer any pressure to bring in amazing players at peak age - we have a bunch of those already. Now we can use our analytics and expertise to pick the young players who are most likely to turn into superstars over the next 2-3 years. Go out and show them how they will have a real route into the first team and how even during the time they're still working their way into the team they'll be doing it under one of the best development coaches in the game.

I'd be looking at players from 18-22 pretty much, but possibly also keeping an eye out for a 16-17 year old who really looks special if we thought we had a chance at him.

Ryan Sessegnon, for example, would be a potential target on my list for January. Even if we had to do a deal with Fulham where we loaned him back for the rest of the season or whatever - we can be patient. If Ousmane Dembele becomes available, or Pulisic, or someone like that, again, we can save up our money and use it all at once, and having time on our side means we can do a loan or a deal for the future (a la Keita) or whatever, no pressure to get someone in right away.

De Jong, Bailey, Brandt, de Ligt, Aouar, Upamecano, Akanji, Havertz, players of that ilk. The foundation for success over the next few years is already laid at this point. All we need now is to fill in an occasional crack due to injury or someone wanting out or whatever and then just build up a pipeline of young players who are developing and improving into first teamers.

It's a good time to be a Red.

• Upvote 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ajax-devastated-liverpool-beat-chelsea-15040937.amp

We've signed a highly rated right back from Ajax's youth set up called Ki-Jana Hoever. He's been on trial at the academy previously. Can also play centre back.

Wanted to play for us after seeing TAA get in the first team and play in the CL final and World Cup according to David Maddock of the Daily Mirror.

Well, some cunt had to start it.

This feels weird, because most previous transfer windows have ended in nervousness and disgruntlement; the kind of thing that has us yearning for the next window.  Summer 2018 hasn't been like that.

Still... Any thoughts?

Starting late this year AOT!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ajax-devastated-liverpool-beat-chelsea-15040937.amp

We've signed a highly rated right back from Ajax's youth set up called Ki-Jana Hoever. He's been on trial at the academy previously. Can also play centre back.

Wanted to play for us after seeing TAA get in the first team and play in the CL final and World Cup according to David Maddock of the Daily Mirror.

He'll sweep everything up

• Upvote 5

Just makes me hate him more

• Upvote 1