You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 West Ham 0 (Aug 12 2018)

tlw content

westhamreport1.jpg

Just like they’d never been away. The Reds picked up where they left off last season and recorded another routine home win. Anfield is definitely a fortress again, although I feel like we could play on the moon and still batter anyone these days. 

West Ham looked terrible but most teams tend to look that way when they play us. I never had any doubt that we’d win this game and win it handily. I was thinking 5-0 beforehand so I wasn’t far off with that. It may seem like over confidence, but it’s not. It’s just realism. 

I saw loads who were nervous beforehand, worried that there’s be a letdown after all the pre-season optimism. I get that, to a degree. It’s a natural reaction to much of what we’ve experienced over the last 30 years. It’s not really relevant to what’s happening right now though. Look how many games we win by three, four, five goals. It’s what this team does. Not every week of course, but enough to justify the confidence many of us had going into this game. 

This was easy. At least that’s how the lads made it look. It was second gear for most of the game and any time we hit third it usually ended with a goal. We never reached fourth. There’s still so much more to come from this team when it’s required, but when you can routinely reel off wins like this it’s a great sign. We had plenty of these last season too, it’s those frustrating draws that cost us. 

It feels like we’re better equipped to prevent those mishaps this year though. The team has been together a while now and we’ve added more quality. If we’re still being held to draws by fucking Newcastle and shite like that this season then we’re never going to solve the problem, but I’m not unduly concerned about it right now. Everything is in place for us to run fucking wild this season. 

It would help if all of our opposition were coached by Manuel Pellegrini. I know he’s got a good reputation and a decent CV, but I didn’t think he was much cop at City as no matter how good they were we always had his number tactically. He’s massively over-rated and he won’t do much better at West Ham than Moyes did. 

I could tell inside of ten minutes of this one it was going to be easy. We had an attack and then all of a sudden the entire West Ham defensive line stopped as one on the edge of the box and caught us offside. Then it happened again a minute later. What the fuck is this shit? 

That’s when it came back to me. This is how Pellegrini’s City used to play all the time, and I always thought it was risky even then. Now he’s doing it with lesser players and he’d only had a few weeks to implement it. I turned to my dad and said “As soon as our lads figure out what they’re doing we’re going to take these apart”. 

West Ham can complain about not getting offside calls all they like (only one goal was offside and that was a really tough call for the linesman to make), but if you defend like that and put your fate in the hands of a linesman you deserve all you get. It’s suicide to play like that against skilful, quick, clever players. And our team is fucking ram packed with them. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

• Upvote 1

Another thing regarding Milner. This is a young team, and for the younger players to have someone like Milner in the squad cannot be underestimated. Just like Gerrard and Murphy etc learned a lot by playing with McAllister for a couple of seasons.

• Upvote 3

Forgot to mention the kid running on to give Mo a hug, and then him getting dragged away by the stewards. 

All a bit mad that. I'm conflicted. On the one hand he was just a kid wanting a hug from Mo, but on the other, he ran on the pitch during the game and he was old enough to know better.

Don't know where I stand on this one.

I've found a new YouTube muppet. The Betway Cup - 'trophy' invented by West Ham and their main sponsors in which The 'Ammers play a European team each pre-season and usually lose. This time they scraped home on pens.

Part of me feels sorry for the sheer sadness of it all, so much so that I'm not going to post his video about signing Zaha and getting Top 4.

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

I lied.

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

Forgot to mention the kid running on to give Mo a hug, and then him getting dragged away by the stewards. 

All a bit mad that. I'm conflicted. On the one hand he was just a kid wanting a hug from Mo, but on the other, he ran on the pitch during the game and he was old enough to know better.

Don't know where I stand on this one.

In my opinion he shouldn't be on the pitch. Shouldn't be hassling the players and affecting their concentration. We've got a league title to win.

• Upvote 1

Glad to see the write-ups are back. Couldn't wait for the season to start and the write-ups to come and subscribed to full Monty so that I have full access.

There's a whole good feeling associated with everyone at the club. The transfers were almost spot on, the pre season, the new and old players gelling, it's just right. Hope the football gods reward us with atleast 1 trophy.

I wanted to see fekir in this team but unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll happen.

Palace have been our bogey team, haven't they. This could be our first big test this season.

• Upvote 1

I haven’t paid my subs yet so not sure if it’s been mentioned in the report but I don’t think it can be understated how much benefit there will be on the fitness side when we are out of sight. This game was dead and buried on the 53rd minute.

I’ve felt in previous years when we’ve been in and around the top of league under Rafa and then Rodgers a lot of it games only had 1 goal in it and the players are having to work right up until the last minute. Over time it takes its toll on the season. Last season was a prime example of it with City. Due to them banging everyone it got easier if anything because they weren’t in a slog with the rest of us. We have to start doing this as regularly as possible.

In recent years we’ve had these good results but I still felt there were lots of games were the result was still in question until basically the final whistle. I know a lot of that was to do with the defence but if we can score 3 goals before the hour against the bottom half teams it won’t half do the legs of the players a favour in the long run.

Bit of a myth the struggling at Selhurst Park thing , probably fuelled by the 3-3 memory. We've won the last 3 PL games there.

Results haven't always been bad, but it's usually a slog.

Last year we got a late winner I believe, and there was the year we won with the Benteke dive. It's usually a tough, horrible game when we go there.

Great report but I disagree on the Lino for the third goal.

If he’s doing his job correctly he’s in line with the last defender and it’s an easy call.

I’d be fucking fuming it that was given against us. Luckily (as also mentioned in the match thread) it provided great entertainment on this occasion and went for us.