You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Intellectual Dark Web

aRdja

14 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The problem here is labelling someone as "literally a former terrorist" when they're not, and never have been, a terrorist.

I don't know what's baffling about it, it's well established that you can't just defame people like that.

What is a recruiter for a terrorist organisation called? If the group that he recruited for, has committed terrorist atrocities, then he can be described as a former terrorist, as he is formerly a member of a terrorist organisation. You don’t have to be the one wearing a vest to be described as such.

10 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Snowflake? The work he does means that labelling him as a terrorist/extremist/Islamaphobe etc puts him in real personal danger and also harms his business.

Same with Corbyn. Does more to support anti-racism than >95% of other MPs, 100% of Tory MP’s. Doesn’t stop the fucking smearing.

7 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

What is a recruiter for a terrorist organisation called? If the group that he recruited for, has committed terrorist atrocities, then he can be described as a former terrorist, as he is formerly a member of a terrorist organisation. You don’t have to be the one wearing a vest to be described as such.

The word "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that paragraph. Just lacking any sort of evidence at all that the group he was involved with was involved in any kind of terrorism.

intriguing.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/dec/06/elon-musk-vernon-unsworth-trial-verdict?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Elon Musk found not guilty of defaming British cave explorer 

Los Angeles jury rules Musk did not defame Vernon Unsworth by calling him a “pedo guy” on Twitter

Julia Carrie Wong in Los Angeles

Published: 22:40 Friday, 06 December 2019

Follow Julia Carrie Wong

Elon Musk did not defame British cave explorer Vernon Unsworth by calling him a “pedo guy” on Twitter, a Los Angeles jury found Friday. 

The case has pitted a 64-year-old financial adviser earning a salary of about £25,000 ($33,000) against one of the richest and most famous men in the world. The dispute stems from the Tesla and SpaceX chief’s ancillary involvement in the Tham Luang cave rescue in June and July 2018, which saw 12 young football players and their coach successfully extracted from a flooded cave system by a team of British cave divers.

On 13 July 2018, after the successful completion of the rescue, Unsworth said in an interview with CNN that the rescue pod Musk had delivered to the cave site was a “PR stunt”, adding that he should “stick his submarine where it hurts”. A video clip of the interview went viral, drawing the ire of Musk.

AdvertisementHide

The billionaire entrepreneur responded in a series of tweets on 15 July, suggesting that Unsworth’s presence in Thailand was “sus[picious]” and calling him “pedo guy”.

Musk eventually deleted the tweets and apologized to Unsworth. 

The jury was tasked with determining whether a reasonable person would understand the tweets to mean that Musk was calling Unsworth a pedophile.

Musk’s attorneys argued that the tweet was not a statement of fact, but an insult, which is considered protected speech. They also attempted to show that Unsworth’s reputation had not been seriously damaged.

Unsworth’s attorneys introduced evidence of the broad dissemination of Musk’s tweets, which were reported in 490 English-language articles on 361 websites in 33 countries.

They also introduced evidence of Musk’s behavior after the 15 July tweets, including his hiring of a private investigator to seek proof of Unsworth’s “nefarious behaviour”.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I can't imagine the word 'intellectual' ever being used in connection with Aaron Bastani, unless the subsequent word is 'void'.

I agree it was a weird inclusion. Way too left of centre to be part of that rabble.

On 04/12/2019 at 20:53, Red Phoenix said:

What a fucking muppet :

Now he is being a fucking snowflake.

This isn't about him being offended, it's about looking for any reason at all to try and cause financial problems for left-wing independent media outlets. Fuck him, the fraud cunt.

Just seen this properly. LOL. What a pussy. “She said I was hateful...” Biggest snowflake in the country. Pathetic.

Yeah, he didn’t spend his life inciting hatred. He spent some of his life recruiting for a group which indoctrinated and incited many people into hatred and extremism. That’s worth the lawsuit. Certainly worthy of defending Mawad over, especially against the type of person that Rico notoriously prejudges all of them as backwards, head-chopping maniacs. 

He cares about Jews. He cares about justice. Nothing to do with Corbyn or his own pocket. 

Fucking hell, the shit he will say for twenty quid. 

Eye opening.

https://www.salon.com/2019/12/06/we-made-it-up-ex-infowars-editor-says-he-published-lies-about-muslim-community-to-spread-hate/

“We made it up”: Ex-Infowars editor says he published lies about Muslim community to spread hate

“And for what? Clickbait headlines, YouTube views?” former video editor Josh Owens writes in New York Times essay

Igor Derysh

A former Infowars video editor admitted that the outlet fabricated lies about a Muslim community in New York to push host Alex Jones’ threats of sharia law in the United States.

Josh Owens, who spent years working for Infowars, wrote an essay for The New York Times Magazine describing how Jones' media empire made up facts to fit its narrative and how employees were subjected to Jones’ angry, violent outbursts.

The day before Jones interviewed then-candidate Donald Trump on his show in 2015, Owens wrote that he traveled to Islamberg, a Muslim community in rural upstate New York, where Jones had instructed him to investigate what he called “the American Caliphate.”

Though the Muslims that lived in the community had not been connected to any violence and some had publicly denounced ISIS, Jones wanted to push the far-right rumor that the community was a “potential terrorist-training center,” Owens wrote.

Owens said he and a reporter tried to lie their way into the settlement but were unable to get in after the community had come under threat. Days before the trip, the FBI had issued an alert for a man named Jon Ritzheimer, who had threatened a terrorist attack against Muslims.

After a law enforcement agent called to confirm their identities, Jones wanted to spin the incident as “an attempt to intimidate us into silence,” Owens wrote.

“He even went so far as to include Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York City, in the purported conspiracy, claiming he wanted to abolish the Second Amendment — and that somehow intimidating us would achieve that,” he added.

Owens and the reporter did speak to a nearby sheriff and mayor, who both told them that the people of Islamberg “were kind, generous neighbors who welcomed the surrounding community into their homes, even celebrating holidays together.”

“The information did not meet our expectations, so we made it up, preying on the vulnerable and feeding the prejudices and fears of Jones’s audience,” he wrote. “We ignored certain facts, fabricated others and took situations out of context to fit our narrative.”

Infowars soon published headlines like “Shariah Law Zones Confirmed in America,” “Report: Obama’s Terror Cells in the U.S.,” and “The Rumors Are True: Shariah Law Is Here!”

Owens said he became enamored with Jones as an angry young man but now looks back on his time at the outlet with regret.

“I thought of the children who lived in Islamberg: how afraid their families must have felt when their communities were threatened and strangers appeared asking questions; how we chose to look past these people as individuals and impose on them more of the same unfair suspicions they already had to endure,” he wrote. “And for what? Clickbait headlines, YouTube views?”

Owens wrote that he and others were also encouraged to push false stories about Sandy Hook, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and reports that radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan was reaching California.

When things went wrong, Jones often responded with violent outbursts, Owens said.

“The blinds stuck, so he ripped them off the wall. A water cooler had mold in it, so he grabbed a large knife, stabbed the plastic base wildly and smashed it on the ground,” Owens wrote. “Once a co-worker stopped by the office with a pet fish he was taking home to his niece. It swam in circles in a small, transparent bag. When Jones saw the bag balanced upright on a desk in the conference room, he emptied it into a garbage can. On one occasion, he threatened to send out a memo banning laughter in the office. ‘We’re in a war,’ he said, and he wanted people to act accordingly.”

In one incident when Jones wanted to “blow off steam,” the crew drove to a ranch outside Austin, Texas, to shoot guns.

“He picked up an AR-15 and accidentally fired it in my direction,” Owens recalled. “The bullet hit the ground about 10 feet away from me. One employee, who was already uncomfortable around firearms, lost it, accusing Jones of being careless and flippant … [Jones] claimed he had intentionally fired the gun as a joke — as if this were any better.”

During another incident, Jones “walked into my office shirtless,” Owens said, which he described as “normal.” Jones then proceeded to instruct another employee to hit him. The two repeatedly punched each other in the arm. “On his last hit, the sound was different. Wet. I thought I could hear the meat split open in the employee’s arm,” Owens recalled. “Jones roared as he punched a cabinet, denting the door in. A few weeks later, I heard that Jones had broken a video editor’s ribs after playing the same game in a downtown bar.”

Owens said he quit his job in April of 2017 and gratefully accepted an entry-level gig with a 75 percent pay cut. Two days later, Jones called him on the phone and tried to talk him into returning, he said.

“Let me tell you a little secret. I don’t like it anymore, either,” Jones told him, according to the essay. “I don’t want to do it anymore and I got all these people working for me, and you know, then I feel guilty. I don’t want to do it. You think I want to keep doing this? I haven’t wanted to do this for five years, man.”

Igor Derysh is a New York-based political writer whose work has appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Boston Herald and Baltimore Sun.