You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Intellectual Dark Web

aRdja

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Bastani’s defence will be really interesting. I bet he settles and prints an apology and some donation tonQuilliam. 

Just seeing that oily weirdo having to eat some humble pie will be worth it, regardless of whether any money is involved.

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

For someone who seems to see the world so literally I fail to understand why you don’t apply the same standards.  

Say I tweet that you are a shit accountant, your wife is a shit Dr (I think she’s a Dr right?) and that then means your job falls through.  Or someone Google’s your name and the tweet comes up and that means you can’t get a job anywhere. Or someone calls you a terrorist, and you can’t get a visa to Oz.  

Mate I genuinely wouldn’t care. It’s not as if his past is a secret. He *did* use to recruit for a shady extremist org. Look up his Wiki page if you don’t believe me? (Don’t know why you wouldn’t) He used to wear that badge with pride, until a couple of days ago. Wonder what changed?

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Mate I genuinely wouldn’t care. It’s not as if his past is a secret. He *did* use to recruit for a shady extremist org. Look up his Wiki page if you don’t believe me? (Don’t know why you wouldn’t) He used to wear that badge with pride, until a couple of days ago. Wonder what changed?

Nothing changed, he just was NEVER A TERRORIST.

It's almost like words have meanings, and using the wrong ones can cause problems.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

You wouldn’t care if you lost your job or your wife did? Bullshit. 

I know what he used to do.  He talks about it all the time. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Nothing changed, he just was NEVER A TERRORIST.

It's almost like words have meanings, and using the wrong ones can cause problems.

Fucking hell. We’re going round in circles. I can quote you what the BBC said about that shady org, but it’d just be a waste of time. 

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Fucking hell. We’re going round in circles. I can quote you what the BBC said about that shady org, but it’d just be a waste of time. 

Yes it would be a waste of time, because it's irrelevant what the BBC said about Hizb ut-Tahrir, because we're talking about an individual named Maajid Nawaz.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes it would be a waste of time, because it's irrelevant what the BBC said about Hizb ut-Tahrir, because we're talking about an individual named Maajid Nawaz.

I’m genuinely LOLing at the moment SD. You know he used actively to recruit members for this vile org right?

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

SO WHAT PART OF IT MAKES HIM A TERRORIST.

^ the point you seem to keep missing.

Depends on what how define it. Would you call a Hezbollah MP a terrorist? Is Khaled Mashal a terrorist? I don’t think it’d be that outrageous to call an Al Qaeda member a terrorist for example, even if that person never killed anyone. Par of the course I’d say.

9 hours ago, viRdjil said:

What are you on about? I thought we had established that Hibz ut-Tahrir is an extremist organisation, so much so that it’s banned in loads of (including Islamic) countries. It’s considered more extreme than Hamas or Hezbollah. Don’t just take my word for it. Here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/extremists-hizb-ut-tahrir-targeting-inner-city-youth-in-birmingham-r2nfrfr08

also leave the dig out, it’s unnecessary and I’ve said it before I’m not interested... I’m 34 years old FFS. Keep it civil.

FYI @Strontium Dog™

40 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Bastani’s defence will be really interesting. I bet he settles and prints an apology and some donation tonQuilliam. 

He probably will just say “soz bebz! I meant former extremist”, which is almost as bad.

Just now, viRdjil said:

He probably will just say “soz bebz! I meant former extremist”, which is almost as bad.

I’m not sure that’s how it works.  And I’m not sure you understand it either.  How is calling someone a ‘former extremist’ insulting?  It’s a compliment, it doesn’t work as the insult Bastani intended.  I’m pretty sure this entire thing is flapping around over your head.  

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m not sure that’s how it works.  And I’m not sure you understand it either.  How is calling someone a ‘former extremist’ insulting?  It’s a compliment, it doesn’t work as the insult Bastani intended.  I’m pretty sure this entire thing is flapping around over your head.  

Of course it is. If you were ever daft enough to be a member of an extremist organisation that openly calls for the destruction of all Jews, and also calls suicide bombers martyrs, then you should probably pipe down.

Source: The BBC

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Of course it is. If you were ever daft enough to be a member of an extremist organisation that openly calls for the destruction of all Jews, and also calls suicide bombers martyrs, then you should probably pipe down.

Source: The BBC

Now I’m convinced you don’t know how it works.  I give in.  

Surely a reasonable person would ask for the tweet to be deleted and an apology which might have resolved the situation quickly. Maajid seems to like drama and attention though so he went straight for the legal action I suppose. After seeing some of Quilliam's funding history it seems like he'd be happy to rake in cash from anywhere though so no surprise.