You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Windows 10. I hate it.

Anny Road

Just got a new laptop and it is W10

I feel like it is working against me to make me spend cash or let other people know about me and how I spend cash.

Can it be tamed?

• 3 weeks later...

I loved windows 10 until I got my new laptop. Firstly is a Surface Laptop which is classed as an ultrabook, but it came with Windows 10 S, which doesn't let you install anything outside the app store (pointless as I'm a software dev). Wank. Then, when you upgrade to Pro (thankfully free), it spends about a day and a half shitting its pants, configuring updates, crashing, hanging before it finally settles down.

It better be smooth sailing from here Bill Gates, or imma get Anny Road to fuck you up.

Windows 10 is shite.

They had a prime opportunity to stripe it all back from the headache of Vista and the other bollocks they came out with.

W10 could have been amazing and Linux-esque. Instead it just came to be this clusterfuck of shite with no direction or purpose.

10 PRINT "Hello"

20 GOTO 10

I remember my first ever attempt at programming and I typed in loads of code from a magazine. I got about half-way through and every time I pressed a key the was a weird noise and the letter I pressed would not appear on the screen. I was perplexed so I phoned someone up who was more experienced than I was to explain the problem and he was even more confused. I said I typed in the numbers then the letters, then the numbers, then the letters but it just stopped. He asked if I had pressed the Enter key after typing in the numbers and the letters. I said no. So I had to type it all in again and pressed Enter after each line and my first ever program worked.

True story and I went on have a 15 year career in software development. I learned how to press Enter.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on W10 since very early on. I think it's great. The Ubuntu stuff that came along last year is also helpful for any Linux heads out there. I think W10 is streets ahead of macos (very glad I left that behind for W10) and don't really see what is better out there. The seemless desktop to tablet mode is good too and imo will be a step to Windows coming back to the mobile platform in the future. Once there's enough poke in a handheld to handle W10, it can easily become everything from your phone to your desktop with nothing more than a USB C dongle.

Ultimately I think it comes down to what you use your device for. Everything I need, W10 covers it perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 10 licks balls.  I've abandoned trying to use the cunt in a network lab environment in favour of my trusty old XP laptop.  I've never really tried any of the Linux stuff although that's a future project, Windows 7 does what I need it to on my main PCs.  I've got one Windows 10 laptop and it's guaranteed to hang and crash when updating.

The fickle useless cunt.

18 hours ago, scudger99 said:

Windows 10 licks balls.  I've abandoned trying to use the cunt in a network lab environment in favour of my trusty old XP laptop.  I've never really tried any of the Linux stuff although that's a future project, Windows 7 does what I need it to on my main PCs.  I've got one Windows 10 laptop and it's guaranteed to hang and crash when updating.

The fickle useless cunt.

I've got 4 windows 10 machines, I've not ever had one issue when updating. I really don't understand what people struggle with with windows 10. It does its job, reliable and not even so resource hungry as it used to be. 

They've made it more of a user friendly and secure machine to those who don't have much of a tech background, which is fair enough.  But trying to change things round can be a long winded cunt of a fight.  I tried to use it in a network lab and couldn't ping it, even after stopping the integrated firewall.  I did exactly the same with my XP & 7 laptops and immediately got results. 

As much use as a chocolate fireplace or David Moyes to me.