You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Julian Assange is a fucking hero

Gym Beglin

Aren’t all rape charges? I mean we all know these bitches lie, right?

Oh wait a minute. No. That’s just what the defence lawyers say.

Trumped up=Donald Trump visiting? I'll get my coat!

Seriously though,there is a school of thought that the charges are bogus and just a way to discredit him.

Aren’t all rape charges? I mean we all know these bitches lie, right?

Oh wait a minute. No. That’s just what the defence lawyers say.

I have to admit I know very little about this case, but if there were ever a time to question the integrity of the accuser this time might be it. Hands up if I'm wrong but the timing and the accused just seem too obvious a stitch up.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah i'm really unsure how much of a hero he is.

He obviously will get fucked for leaking the US wikileaks stuff but i not think the organisation as a whole is the great free info thing its portrayed as.

The meetings with trump jnr

a few bits from Wiki

WikiLeaks has published individuals' Social Security numbers, medical information, and credit card numbers.[25] An analysis by the Associated Press found that WikiLeaks had in one of its mass-disclosures published "the personal information of hundreds of people – including sick children, rape victims and mental health patients".[25] WikiLeaks has named teenage rape victims, and outed an individual arrested for homosexuality in Saudi Arabia.[25] Some of WikiLeaks' cables "described patients with psychiatric conditions, seriously ill children or refugees".[25] An analysis of WikiLeaks' Saudi cables "turned up more than 500 passport, identity, academic or employment files... three dozen records pertaining to family issues in the cables – including messages about marriages, divorces, missing children, elopements and custody battles. Many are very personal, like the marital certificates that reveal whether the bride was a virgin. Others deal with Saudis who are deeply in debt, including one man who says his wife stole his money. One divorce document details a male partner's infertility. Others identify the partners of women suffering from sexually transmitted diseases including HIV and Hepatitis C."[25] Two individuals named in the DNC leaks were targeted by identity thieves following WikiLeaks' reveal of their Social Security and credit card information.[25] In its leak of DNC e-mails, WikiLeaks revealed the details of an ordinary staffer's suicide attempt and brought attention to it through a tweet

University of North Carolina Professor Zeynep Tufekci has criticised WikiLeaks for exposing sensitive personal information: "WikiLeaks, for example, gleefully tweeted to its millions of followers that a Clinton Foundation employee had attempted suicide... Data dumps by WikiLeaks have outed rape victims and gay people in Saudi Arabia, private citizens' emails and personal information in Turkey, and the voice mail messages of Democratic National Committee staff members."[27] She argues these data dumps which violate personal privacy without being in the public interest "threaten our ability to dissent by destroying privacy and unleashing a glut of questionable information that functions, somewhat unexpectedly, as its own form of censorship, rather than as a way to illuminate the maneuverings of the powerful."[27]

In January 2017, the WikiLeaks Task Force, a Twitter account associated with WikiLeaks,[308] proposed the creation of a database to track verified Twitter users, including sensitive personal information on individuals' homes, families and finances.[309][308][310] According to the Chicago Tribune, "the proposal faced a sharp and swift backlash as technologists, journalists and security researchers slammed the idea as a 'sinister' and dangerous abuse of power and privacy."[309] Twitter furthermore bans the use of Twitter data for "surveillance purposes," stating "Posting another person's private and confidential information is a violation of the Twitter rules."[308]

Non-disclosure agreements

Those working for WikiLeaks are reportedly required to sign sweeping non-disclosure agreements covering all conversations, conduct, and material, with Assange having sole power over disclosure.[324] The penalty for non-compliance in one such agreement was reportedly £12 million.[324] WikiLeaks has been challenged for this practice, as it seen to be hypocritical for an organisation dedicated to transparency to limit the transparency of its inner workings and limit the accountability of powerful individuals in the organisation

The idea is sound; a place where whistleblowers can give details in secret. From there, it's a cluster fuck.

Same as any organisation once it starts getting some sort of power or at least power over individuals it starts to corrupt i guess.

Agree though that the initial idea of allowing whistleblowers a platform was good.

It’s a difficult one to understand with Assange. far too complex than what is written in the media or on Wikileaks.

So I judge him on the company he keeps.

Rape charges - innocent until proven guilty is supposed to be our standard yeah?

There is every chance it was statutory rape, there is also a good chance that I was not and he is being charged as a way to bring him under control for his other alleged crimes, enabling extradition to the states. Until he is tried fairly, we can not afford to judge him on that.

Wrt what has and has not been released by Wikileaks, I have never been through the data, but know the dumps were extremely large, the questions that needs to be considered - are the dumps of such a size that sifting ad redacting them would

Be beyond the scop of Wikileaks? Would they have been able to get the important data such as illegal attacks by government on citizens privacy, as well as the dodgy stuff behind the allies actions in the various ongoing wars?

I believe they were working with various “respected and established” media companies early on, but found fault as they came under pressure, and thus began to censor what the released - so again the story gets controlled by those in power - which was ultimately what Wikileaks were trying to

Prevent.

I reckon he has been played a few times for those he has trusted, but his options have been somewhat limited dude to being stuck in a building for the last 6 yers, but still believe he is fundamentally someone with good intentions, who has put his neck on the line in a major way against the super power governments.

He has the support of Johns pilger and a few other quality journos and politically savvy people I admire, so on balance of probability, I trust these people’s opinions, and use them as a guid on all the shit that currently surrounds Assange and Wikileaks as a subject and idea.

• Upvote 4

It’s a difficult one to understand with Assange. far too complex than what is written in the media or on Wikileaks.

Rape charges - innocent until proven guilty is supposed to be our standard yeah?

There is every chance it was statutory rape, there is also a good chance that I was not and he is being charged as a way to bring him under control for his other alleged crimes, enabling extradition to the states. Until he is tried fairly, we can not afford to judge him on that.

Wrt what has and has not been released by Wikileaks, I have never been through the data, but know the dumps were extremely large, the questions that needs to be considered - are the dumps of such a size that sifting ad redacting them would

Be beyond the scop of Wikileaks? Would they have been able to get the important data such as illegal attacks by government on citizens privacy, as well as the dodgy stuff behind the allies actions in the various ongoing wars?

I believe they were working with various “respected and established” media companies early on, but found fault as they came under pressure, and thus began to censor what the released - so again the story gets controlled by those in power - which was ultimately what Wikileaks were trying to

Prevent.

I reckon he has been played a few times for those he has trusted, but his options have been somewhat limited dude to being stuck in a building for the last 6 yers, but still believe he is fundamentally someone with good intentions, who has put his neck on the line in a major way against the super power governments.

He has the support of Johns pilger and a few other quality journos and politically savvy people I admire, so on balance of probability, I trust these people’s opinions, and use them as a guid on all the shit that currently surrounds Assange and Wikileaks as a subject and idea.

Yip, pretty much agree. Particularly Pilger I have great respect for.

Public opinion here in NZ seems to agree; many here pushing for him to come here.

• Upvote 1

Genuinely impossible to know where to land on this because of all the agendas and disinformation out there.

Pretty much where I am. If pushed, my gut feeling is he started out with good intentions, before becoming a Russian stooge, but the whole thing's so murky it's hard to get a good read on his actions.

Is that even possible ? We hear so much about other forces involving themselves in elections. Too many other forces at play here and I just don't see how he's going to get a fair trial. Well not in the US anyway. In fact, I'd say the last place he'll get a fair trail.

Is that even possible ? We hear so much about other forces involving themselves in elections. Too many other forces at play here and I just don't see how he's going to get a fair trial. Well not in the US anyway. In fact, I'd say the last place he'll get a fair trail.

Indeed, which is why it’s been pretty decent of the ecuadoreans to put up with him for the last 6 years.

It would be great if we could send him to Sweden for the rape trial with the full understanding he has immunity from all other charges whilst he is tried, but I believe the charges have now been dropped.

From the admittedly infrequent bits I've read I see him as a pawn in the whole Russian agenda on Brexit and Trump which is why he's meeting with people like Farage and Trump Jr.

As a PR piece a guy leaking selective information under the guise of being on the side of the people would be a pretty useful influencer.

He's no hero of mine.

Indeed, which is why it’s been pretty decent of the ecuadoreans to put up with him for the last 6 years.

It would be great if we could send him to Sweden for the rape trial with the full understanding he has immunity from all other charges whilst he is tried, but I believe the charges have now been dropped.

They’ve expired, not been dropped.