You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hall of Fame - Class of 2018

tlw content

For me, Keegan turned us into the force we were in the 70s and 80s.  I think he was one of the top 3 most important players for us.  Massively underrated as an influence and a player.

He seems to have been a bit unloved in the way that Michael Owen sometimes was when he was with us. Before my time, but was he seen as somehow self-serving? Or was it the legacy of him leaving for Hamburg?

He seems to have been a bit unloved in the way that Michael Owen sometimes was when he was with us. Before my time, but was he seen as somehow self-serving? Or was it the legacy of him leaving for Hamburg?

A lot were unhappy with him leaving to Hamburg. A bit like when Owen left or Coutinho but stronger if anything.

• Upvote 2

He was truly idolised until his last season after he had announced he was off.

• Upvote 3

He's a bit unusual, as I can't think of any of our major figures who are more noted for their link to another team, and he has never stayed in the Liverpool area or done the Liverpool ex-pro circuit like the majority of the others. So I would imagine that to the great majority unless you are in your fifties your first thought when his name is mentioned would tend to be 'Geordie legend / England manager '.

Make no bones about it though , to my generation he will always be the main catalyst that dragged us out of the late-60's relative doldrums and gave us some of our greatest memories including the 74 final , Molineux 76 & Rome 77.

Clemence didn't make the list because, as explained in the accompanying article, the idea is to try and spread it across all era rather than just stick ten players from the great 70s side in there. Liddell went in last year, so Scott took his place on the ballot.

Clem will more than likely be on next year's, but it depends who goes in this time really.

Hunt

Keegan

Hughes

Hansen

Could argue the Iron, Scott, Souey and Neal but there are my 2019 picks as well.

Named after Kevin Keegan. He was the player everyone wanted to be before Kenny.

My dad wanted to call me Emlyn after the Crazy Horse. He'd had a few pints before my christening, turned up late to the church with a Hitachi kit that fitted me when I was 12 yelling out "call him Emlyn, call him Emlyn!"

• Upvote 2

The Shankly documentary on Sunday was a timely reminder for me of how good Hunt was.

It was still really tough to get it down to four.

Hunt was so good a player he managed to keep Jimmy Greaves out of the World Cup winning team.

He's a bit unusual, as I can't think of any of our major figures who are more noted for their link to another team, and he has never stayed in the Liverpool area or done the Liverpool ex-pro circuit like the majority of the others. So I would imagine that to the great majority unless you are in your fifties your first thought when his name is mentioned would tend to be 'Geordie legend / England manager '.

Make no bones about it though , to my generation he will always be the main catalyst that dragged us out of the late-60's relative doldrums and gave us some of our greatest memories including the 74 final , Molineux 76 & Rome 77.

This is true, he doesn’t turn up to these events etc, it is strange. Was nice to see him in the Shanks programme the other night.

Clemence didn't make the list because, as explained in the accompanying article, the idea is to try and spread it across all era rather than just stick ten players from the great 70s side in there. Liddell went in last year, so Scott took his place on the ballot.

Time to start reading up on Sam Raybould

• Upvote 1