You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who should we keep for this season?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Divock or Dominic?

Solanke at least offers something our other forwards don't possess, namely a bit of a physical presence. Origi is pretty much a Budgens version of our front three, so you merely get the same style - relying on pace and movement - but a massive drop off in quality.

Dom jibbed Chelsea off too, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Solanke at least offers something our other forwards don't possess, namely a bit of a physical presence. Origi is pretty much a Budgens version of our front three, so you merely get the same style - relying on pace and movement - but a massive drop off in quality.

Dom jibbed Chelsea off too, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I don't want a player that offers something different, I want a player that offers the exact same thing our front three do, what they do is perfect, but an injury or tiredness can throw that out of whack.

I can't remember the last time we had a forward that "offered something different" that was a success, if they're different they don't suit how we play so their supposed strengths are nullified.

We should turn our front 3 into a front 4 that can rotate and cover each other when needed, not a front three plus a misfit.

We could have Lukaku as our something different and he'd be shit for us, it would have a knock on effect for the rest of the team aswell having to change how they play just to make him useful, fuck that.

We are very good at what we do, we need to make sure we can do that every week without a drop in quality when we need to rest somebody.

We'll be praying the front three can stay fit again.  Shaqiri can hopefully come in and offer something with Mane or Salah moved central but the less we see of anyone other than those four upfront, the more chance we've got of being successful.    

I'm ok with that, we've spent a fortune this window on quality over quantity, we were always going to have squad depth issues for a few seasons from where we started.   

Keeping Sturridge is the smart thing to do at this point because he's playing for a contract. Logic dictates that he'll be as motivated as can be. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually stays fit and plays well this season.

I would, he can't stay fit even after he stopped sprinting.

I guarantee Klopp would answer Solanke.

Edwards too, for that matter. For all Solanke's poor finishing, the truth is that finishing is largely down to luck and in a small sample size he just hasn't had any.

But the biggest point in Solanke's favour is that he works really hard. He's no Firmino, but he's trying desperately to mimic what Bobby brings with closing down defenders on the ball. Origi looks like he has no clue what to do, he dashes to close down when no one else is, and then when the opposing right back is pinned to the touchline and everyone else is moving to close down he's just stood on his heels.

I don't know if Solanke is going to be a real player for us, to be honest I kind of doubt it but he certainly suits us much better than Divock. Origi will be sold to the highest bidder as soon as we get a decent offer and then Solanke's problem will be that Brewster is right behind him and that lad can really play.

Finishing is a skill, it's not in any way largely luck.

For the football stats people goals scored is a bit down to luck. There are a few players in history - Messi being one - whose actual goals regularly exceed the number of "expected goals" from the shots they take in pretty much every season they play. There are also a few players who are consistently bad. For most players the number of goals they score from the number of shots they take fluctuates over time, so some seasons they score more and some less than they would be "expected" to score and the range is actually pretty narrow.

Hence why someone like Pep Guardiola doesn't coach someone like Raheem Sterling (who you might think is a historically bad finisher) to improve his shooting, he coaches him to make runs and get into positions where he can take more dangerous shots.

Pretty sure that's right anyway. I believe that based on the stats from last season Solanke was shown to be pretty good all around, but the goals he actually scored were less than his "expected goals", so statistically if he played exactly the same way this season he'd be most likely to score a few goals from the same chances.

• Upvote 4

We really need much better than Div, Dom, Sturridge and Ings. The latter two would be acceptable if they weren't broken all the time. I'd keep Dom, get rid off the rest, and buy a class striker. Our forward options would be Salah, Mane, Bobby, Shaqiri, Dom and one ace striker. I'd be happy with that lot.

Finishing is a skill, it's not in any way largely luck.

The evidence to date suggests that whilst there is some skill in the act of actually finishing, you can only be sure after a large enough sample. The most important factor in scoring goals is getting into good goal scoring positions.

For the football stats people goals scored is a bit down to luck. There are a few players in history - Messi being one - whose actual goals regularly exceed the number of "expected goals" from the shots they take in pretty much every season they play. There are also a few players who are consistently bad. For most players the number of goals they score from the number of shots they take fluctuates over time, so some seasons they score more and some less than they would be "expected" to score and the range is actually pretty narrow.

Hence why someone like Pep Guardiola doesn't coach someone like Raheem Sterling (who you might think is a historically bad finisher) to improve his shooting, he coaches him to make runs and get into positions where he can take more dangerous shots.

Pretty sure that's right anyway. I believe that based on the stats from last season Solanke was shown to be pretty good all around, but the goals he actually scored were less than his "expected goals", so statistically if he played exactly the same way this season he'd be most likely to score a few goals from the same chances.

I think Sturridge is a better finisher than Sterling, and that isn't luck.

The stattos can claim whatever they like.

Solanke could potentially be a player, he's got the physique and attitude to make it. He hasn't played enough to be sure one way or the other but what I will say is when I've seen him with the reserves or underage England teams he has looked a step above the rest of them.

Origi on the other hand is a sham, his career is passing him by while he apologises to defenders for bumping into them.

If Solanke or Brewster are good enough then they have a manager who won't obstruct their route into the team.

I was thinking of better times past,also there was no option C, which was Neither.

In reality that is our option, just like last season.   Pray to a god that don't exist that the front three can do it all again.

We've spent a lot on quality this year, that I'm ok with that.  The whole squad was never going to end up perfect.   We're still much the same depth wise though and even Klopp has came out both years and said that needs improved.

I would stick with big Div.  He has at least shown he is capable of playing well and being dangerous in the premier league. 

I'd love to be proven wrong on Solanke but I just can't see it.  When a young lad comes you can usually see he's got an eye for goal, he's got pace, he's got a mercurial touch.  Just don't see it 

I think Sturridge is a better finisher than Sterling, and that isn't luck.

The stattos can claim whatever they like.

When stattos claim something, it is usually (hopefully) backed up by evidence...

You think Sturridge is a better finisher, I think Sturridge is a better finisher, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think that, but last season Sterling scored 21% of his shots, and Sturridge only scored 8% of his. The season before Sterling converted 11% of his shots, Sturridge again converted only 8%. On average, roughly 10% of all shots are converted, so the last 2 seasons, Sturridge has been below average.

This what Ne Moe means with regards to luck, not that all players have the same finishing ability, but that in small samples of shots, you can't tell if someone is a good finisher or not because goals are not evenly distributed amongst those shots. I still think Sturridge is a good finisher despite his poor finishing over the last 2 seasons.

Last season Solanke had 23 shots, we have no idea from that amount if he is a good finisher or not unless he had scored a load of goals, and even then there would be luck involved.

When stattos claim something, it is usually (hopefully) backed up by evidence...

You think Sturridge is a better finisher, I think Sturridge is a better finisher, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think that, but last season Sterling scored 21% of his shots, and Sturridge only scored 8% of his. The season before Sterling converted 11% of his shots, Sturridge again converted only 8%. On average, roughly 10% of all shots are converted, so the last 2 seasons, Sturridge has been below average.

This what Ne Moe means with regards to luck, not that all players have the same finishing ability, but that in small samples of shots, you can't tell if someone is a good finisher or not because goals are not evenly distributed amongst those shots. I still think Sturridge is a good finisher despite his poor finishing over the last 2 seasons.

Last season Solanke had 23 shots, we have no idea from that amount if he is a good finisher or not unless he had scored a load of goals, and even then there would be luck involved.

We do! It’s very fucking obvious.