You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jul 14-20 2018)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Jul 14… 

Bury 0 L 0. Well that was shite. There are players in that team who are on the bubble and really need to show what they can do in these games if they are to have any future here, and some of them are doing fuck all so far. Origi and Solanke fired blanks again and with Sturridge likely to break down any day now and Ings set to leave, we’re looking very light behind Firmino. 

Ings wasn’t involved today and neither was Wilson. Both will probably be gone by the end of this week, one of them permanently. I think we need to keep Sturridge now as the benefit of having him around, even if it’s only for 50% of the games, outweighs the benefit of getting his salary off the books. Because that’s all it would be. Not even West Ham, the footballing equivalent of the glue factory, would spend money on buying Sturridge because he misses around half of every season. 

Still, I’m taking five months of Sturridge over nine months of Origi. So send Origi packing, keep Sturridge and let Solanke hang around until Brewster is fit and then let him go on loan to get much needed game time, because although I like him, he’s not bringing much to the table at this point. 

While we were struggling to a goalless draw at Gigg Lane, the balance of power on Merseyside appeared to be shifting again as the Blues won 22-0 in Austria. Sounds impressive, until you actually see some of the goals. Farce doesn’t even cover it. I’ve only seen two goals, one of them an own goal that looked deliberate, and the other where the keeper actually just walks off and leaves his goal unattended as Mirallas went through. I dread to think what the other 20 goals were like. 

What was the point? A seventh division side in Austria is like Sunday League over here. Everton are a fucking joke. I don't even want to take the piss over this one, I'm just embarrassed for them. Soft cunts. After that one when the keeper walked away they should have just called the game and walked off the pitch. I’ve never seen that before. Not at this level anyway. 

Used to see it all the time when we played on a Thursday night, usually when my cousin Al was in goal. We all had to take turns in goal and you couldn’t come out until you let one in. Al never even made a pretence of trying to save anything, he’d just let it in so he could come out again as soon as he could. Maybe these Austrian lads have the same rules we did as it normally takes Everton five months to score 22 goals. The other take away from this is that expensive bum they signed last year, Sandro, somehow didn't manage to get on the scoresheet.

Steve Walsh might be the biggest phoney in the history of football. He's set Everton back years. Top man.

Sunday Jul 15… 

Fucking France, the dull bastards. I can’t say they didn’t deserve to win this tournament as they were the strongest side in it and were rock solid defensively. They deserved it. I don’t like it, but they deserved it. With the quality they have up top and how miserly they are at the back that’s a formidable combination and unfortunately they were too strong for Croatia. Still, they needed a massive helping hand from that shit haired ref and VAR. I hate the idea that a World Cup final can pretty much be decided on a bullshit penalty call like that. 

I hate the handball rule in general, or more specifically the repeatedly poor interpretation of it. There’s too much inconsistency with it and another ref would have dismissed that for what it was. Incidental, accidental contact. VAR can fuck off too. When you watch things like that in super slo mo it makes them far more sinister looking than they are in real time. I don’t think anyone will ever sway me on VAR, no matter how many correct calls it’s responsible for. I don’t like it, I never will. 

Poor Dejan didn’t put a foot wrong all game yet his side still conceded four goals. Footy is mad like that sometimes. He’s been flawless in two major finals yet he’s seen the ball go in his net seven times. Just shows the importance of having a top keeper I suppose. That Croatian fella might be boss on pens, but he’s shite at everything else. And what’s with their weird two deep banks of four when defending set-pieces? It’s looked dodgy all tournament and it cost them at the worst possible moment. It’s a miracle they got away with that set up against England, the set-piece kings. 

Meanwhile, in Brazil….

week28_3.jpg

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

Was thinking about the unrealistic fees we've reportedly refused to budge from for the likes of Markovic and Sturridge, when a deal making more financial sense for us than just letting them see out their contracts could likely be done.  Its about changing external perceptions of our current strength, I think, by stopping us being seen as a soft touch.

Klopp seemed to be drawing a line when he made a comment during his first summer here about no Liverpool players being sold cheaply in future, in relation to Benteke if memory serves.  I presume he and Edwards feel being stuck with a few unfushables is a price worth paying if always sticking to our valuation helps increase sale fees overall. 

As we tend to have our recruitment sorted nowadays and few of the bad old signings are left around, the strategy must be more beneficial to us even allowing for the odd hit to the pocket.  Similar to preferring Can leaving for free if it meant setting a precedent to the rest of our squad that release clauses will no longer be a thing.

• Upvote 3

Almost certain Shaqiri is back in for all 3 up to, and where Bobby is missing, Salah will move central.

I'm all for Sturrridge staying. Fuck having Origi or Solanke on the bench.

It's like Ngog has never left!

• Upvote 2

Almost certain Shaqiri is back in for all 3 up to, and where Bobby is missing, Salah will move central.

I'm all for Sturrridge staying. Fuck having Origi or Solanke on the bench.

It's like Ngog has never left!

N'Gog was better.

• Upvote 1

There’s no point talking about any of the other strikers behind Firmino. The young ones might improve but that won’t be here and it’s a piss take that Sturridge is still talked about as an option. He’s proved beyond doubt to be shot physically. He’s no use even when fit.

There’s no point talking about any of the other strikers behind Firmino. The young ones might improve but that won’t be here and it’s a piss take that Sturridge is still talked about as an option. He’s proved beyond doubt to be shot physically. He’s no use even when fit.

Disagree. Sturridge is still class when fit. Different to what he was in his prime because he's much slower, but he's a good enough footballer to be able to adapt and offer us something.

I'm sure a lot of fans would like to see Klopp get rid of all of the other strikers and buy a top quality alternative to Bobby, but seeing as how Bobby is probably the first name on the teamsheet and virtually never misses any games, that's a tough sell to get any top player to come and sit on the bench.

For this season Sturridge is probably the best option for us. Only question is how much time he'll miss with his inevitable injuries.

Disagree. Sturridge is still class when fit. Different to what he was in his prime because he's much slower, but he's a good enough footballer to be able to adapt and offer us something.

I'm sure a lot of fans would like to see Klopp get rid of all of the other strikers and buy a top quality alternative to Bobby, but seeing as how Bobby is probably the first name on the teamsheet and virtually never misses any games, that's a tough sell to get any top player to come and sit on the bench.

For this season Sturridge is probably the best option for us. Only question is how much time he'll miss with his inevitable injuries.

Genuinely find that a bit mad.....how many times in the last four years has he come on and been of any use to us?  He's been useful far longer than great for us now, walking about living off his name.   The likes of Origi and Benteke have offered more in that time.

Keita linking up with Sturridge is a good sign.  That definitely shows more promise at the moment than Origi (who now looks lost at this level) or Solanke (who's still finding his way).  If Sturridge isn't relying on his sprint bursts any more, his body might (and I say might) not rebel on him so much.  Reliability is his issue, quality never has been,