You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shanks

Bamo

Subscribe to the Liverpool Go thing for preseason

Watching When we were Kings one of the documentaries on there

if you have it its well worth a watch. kenny and Souey talking about there playing days.

Would have been some dressing room to be part of in them days. Kenny giving him all sorts of shit for his clothes and hair

Mentioned before that my Uncle is Chris Lawler and I've been basically force fed Shankly stories since I was born.

My Dad was playing for Skelmersdale Utd and needed a new pair of boots. My uncle told my dad to turn up at Anfield before the team went away on the coach to play Tottenham.

My Dad waited by the coach and the team came out, Shankly came out and said to my Dad "hurry up Chris, get on the coach". My Dad told Shankly he wasn't him and he was his brother. Shankly said "you're a right dickhead you son. If you kept your mouth shut you could have got a game"

My uncle also said that when he was in school that he had interest from Liverpool and Everton but he only wanted to play for Liverpool. He heard that they were sending someone round to talk to him about signing professional terms. Anyway, one day he gets home from school and Bill Shankly is sitting in the living room by the fire having a cup of tea talking to his mum.

Basically convinced him there and then to sign for Liverpool. He left and said "make sure when you get your first paypacket you buy your mammy something nice. The most important woman in your life is your mammy".

There's loads of other ones but my favourite was arguing with a load of priests at a church in Lake Como prior to the Inter Milan semi final in 1965. He was moaning about a church on the lake whose bells would toll every hour of every day. Arguing through an interpreter to a priest about them keeping the team up. The priest said "these bells have been going like this since the 14th century and we won't stop for you Mr Shankly"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 20

My Dad was playing for Skelmersdale Utd and needed a new pair of boots. My uncle told my dad to turn up at Anfield before the team went away on the coach to play Tottenham.

My Dad waited by the coach and the team came out, Shankly came out and said to my Dad "hurry up Chris, get on the coach". My Dad told Shankly he wasn't him and he was his brother. Shankly said "you're a right dickhead you son. If you kept your mouth shut you could have got a game"

That's brilliant!

• Upvote 1

Mentioned before that my Uncle is Chris Lawler and I've been basically force fed Shankly stories since I was born.

My uncle also said that when he was in school that he had interest from Liverpool and Everton but he only wanted to play for Liverpool. He heard that they were sending someone round to talk to him about signing professional terms. Anyway, one day he gets home from school and Bill Shankly is sitting in the living room by the fire having a cup of tea talking to his mum.

Basically convinced him there and then to sign for Liverpool. He left and said "make sure when you get your first paypacket you buy your mammy something nice. The most important woman in your life is your mammy".

There's loads of other ones but my favourite was arguing with a load of priests at a church in Lake Como prior to the Inter Milan semi final in 1965. He was moaning about a church on the lake whose bells would toll every hour of every day. Arguing through an interpreter to a priest about them keeping the team up. The priest said "these bells have been going like this since the 14th century and we won't stop for you Mr Shankly"

Love these type of stories keep them coming Doctor
  • Upvote 1

Most people will have heard of this one:

Shankly used to play in 5 a side games and was obsessed with winning. My uncle was on his team (my uncle was notoriously quiet and barely said anything).

When they couldn't find any posts they just put training tops down for goalposts. Shankly managed to beat a couple of players and shoot towards the goal. The ball went over the top of the training kit and everyone said it wasn't a goal.

Shankly was livid and called everyone a cheat. He then turned to my Uncle and said "Chris is a nice lad and would never cheat. Was it a goal Chris?".

He said it had gone over the post and would have probably gone wide if they were playing with proper goals.

Shankly said "you've been here 3 years and the first time you open your mouth it's a bloody lie!"

When Liverpool played Honved away in Budapest Bill Shankly thought all the hotel rooms were bugged with secret devices and went round everywhere looking for them. Apparently he was well into the James Bond novels and thought anyone from eastern Europe was a Russian spy.

• Upvote 6

Most people will have heard of this one:

Shankly used to play in 5 a side games and was obsessed with winning. My uncle was on his team (my uncle was notoriously quiet and barely said anything).

When they couldn't find any posts they just put training tops down for goalposts. Shankly managed to beat a couple of players and shoot towards the goal. The ball went over the top of the training kit and everyone said it wasn't a goal.

Shankly was livid and called everyone a cheat. He then turned to my Uncle and said "Chris is a nice lad and would never cheat. Was it a goal Chris?".

He said it had gone over the post and would have probably gone wide if they were playing with proper goals.

Shankly said "you've been here 3 years and the first time you open your mouth it's a bloody lie!"

When Liverpool played Honved away in Budapest Bill Shankly thought all the hotel rooms were bugged with secret devices and went round everywhere looking for them. Apparently he was well into the James Bond novels and thought anyone from eastern Europe was a Russian spy.

I love stories like these.

Here's your Uncle scoring a couple of late goals to get us a win at Leeds

• Upvote 3

Nice one. Some on my mum's side of the family (Lawlers from Liverpool originally) claim they're related to him somehow. But I suppose they would wouldn't they!

They once asked Shankly if it was true that he took Nessie to a Shrewsbury game for their anniversary.

"Don't be silly," he said. "That was on her birthday!"

"And besides, it was Shrewsbury reserves!"

• Upvote 1