You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prince Philip...

5 hours ago, magicrat said:

He liked a medal or two did Phil.

Prince Philip

His son Edward also has lots of medals. I've seen them pinned to his chest when he's laying wreaths at the cenotaph and everyone of those medals are well earned, he was magnificent leading Britain to victory in the Royal its a knockout.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

His son Edward also has lots of medals. I've seen them pinned to his chest when he's laying wreaths at the cenotaph and everyone of those medals are well earned, he was magnificent leading Britain to victory in the Royal its a knockout.

He served three months the twat, many of us spent longer in the NAAFI queue than that. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Poster said:

Much as I didn't have a lot of time for the DoE, his medals include the Greek War Cross Of Honour, awarded for his bravery in the Battle of Cape Matapan against the Italian Navy in 1941.  Aged just 19, he operated the searchlights against the Italians during a bloody gun battle in which he said later 'all hell broke loose', and he was Mentioned in Despatches for his courage. 

Not his fault I know but about 7 of his 17 medals are commemorative ones, but unlike his dick of a son he actually earned the others. Apparently he would have risen quite high in the rank of the navy all by himself had he not had to cut his career short when Elizabeth became queen. 

It reminded me of my grandfather who was killed protecting Liverpool during the second world war, killed in action whilst operating the searchlights during a raid on the city. He has a war grave in Toxteth Park Cemetery which now the rules are relaxed mean I can lay some flowers on the grave. 

I knew some of that and feel a bit of a twat now taking the piss out of his gong collection. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I knew some of that and feel a bit of a twat now taking the piss out of his gong collection. 

I have nothing but respect for those that earned their medals, in fact, I have nothing but respect and gratitude for anyone who fought in the 2 world wars and any other conflict where they protect us.

Those that just get given medals and dressing up uniforms when they haven't earned them can fuck off.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I have nothing but respect for those that earned their medals, in fact, I have nothing but respect and gratitude for anyone who fought in the 2 world wars and any other conflict where they protect us.

Those that just get given medals and dressing up uniforms when they haven't earned them can fuck off.

Can't argue with that mate . As an aside where are you on Blue Peter badges as a matter of interest ? 

4 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

So after Brexit, the (mis) handling of the pandemic, cronyism, reduced fiscal expenditure etc this is what makes people say the country completely lost the plot???

yeah, knob head country. 

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Old Eddie boy was a hero during the war, he once operated a search light and pointed it at an Italian boat. He also stood on the bridge of a boat gazing into the distance. That was 2 medals awarded bugger if anyone knows what the other 18 were for. 

20210412_193026.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

Alexander Armstrong has a programme on later this week called 'The Queen's cousins' and apparently interviews a lady who is third cousin once removed from the Queen , how fucking distant is that ? the sycophantic bastard.

Close enough to marry.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Close enough to marry.

Ha ha , A lot closer than that is fair game in Royal circles I would imagine.

Does anybody understand these family descriptions  , third cousin ? , is she the cousin of a cousin of a cousin of the queen , and what the hell does ' once removed 'mean ?

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Ha ha , A lot closer than that is fair game in Royal circles I would imagine.

Does anybody understand these family descriptions  , third cousin ? , is she the cousin of a cousin of a cousin of the queen , and what the hell does ' once removed 'mean ?

As far as I’m aware it’s one less than twice removed. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

If you have a cousin, their kid is once (one generation) removed from you.

Third cousin is when you share a pair of great-great-grandparents.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, PrivateParts said:

I wouldn't consider myself an expert in political image management, but I think it's probably best to keep ideas like this to yourself. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-councillor-apologises-calling-prince-20367199.amp?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

You wonder how brain dead these people are fucking hell. 

On 11/04/2021 at 14:02, Gnasher said:

Bbc offering grief counselling to staff affected by the death of Prince Philip according to the fail. I needed counselling when I saw their annual bill..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9459103/BBC-refuses-reveal-people-complained-blanket-TV-coverage-Prince-Philip.html

The BBC reportedly received a record-breaking 100,000 complaints about its coverage of the death of Prince Philip.