You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prince Philip...

‘Government is to more or less enter a media blackout during the period of mourning for Prince Philip - no Covid press conferences, no press releases other than for essential public health reasons, no ministers on media interviews, including the usual political shows this Sunday.’

Glorious timing.

6 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

Only because the original plan for a minutes racial abuse was criticised 

Imagine the boos straight after around the country when players take the knee. Thank fuck there are no fans present. 

s86uHw5.jpg

“In accordance with your instructions, M’am, I contacted Pedigree and they said that we should send him over. They’ll fire up the grinders and canning and there should be enough to feed the corgis for three weeks.”

25 minutes ago, Chr15 said:

Is it true that Phil the Greek is dead?  Doesn't seem to be anything on the news about it.....

In Greece

My father-in-law pointed out recently that the name "Phil the Greek" was secretly encouraged by the Palace, because in the late 1940s "Phil of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg" might not have played that well with a population who had been involved in two all-consuming wars with Germany. 

It's funny, I'm not a royalist by a long stretch and Philip was clearly an arse, but it's still sad to see the death of someone who was - regardless of our views on him - a monumental historical figure. The times the guy and the Queen have lived through, the events they've partaken in. 

Sadly there'll be little measured discussion of his life or death, it'll be divvied up into the usual culture wars shit, with the Brexit mob lowering the flags in their gardens, while the Canary types foam at the mouth and celebrate his death, as they did Thatcher, even though most of them are 22. 

• Upvote 5

Monumental historical figure, Sec? In what way? Short of being the bloke stood next to the Queen, I’m struggling to think what he achieved save for his service in WWII. And if that makes him a monumental historical figure then so is my grandad.

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's funny, I'm not a royalist by a long stretch and Philip was clearly an arse, but it's still sad to see the death of someone who was - regardless of our views on him - a monumental historical figure. The times the guy and the Queen have lived through, the events they've partaken in. 

Sadly there'll be little measured discussion of his life or death, it'll be divvied up into the usual culture wars shit, with the Brexit mob lowering the flags in their gardens, while the Canary types foam at the mouth and celebrate his death, as they did Thatcher, even though most of them are 22. 

I will not be celebrating his death, however reserve my right to get increasingly annoyed by the rampant propaganda that will flow from every main stream source over the next week.  There will zero mention of anything negative in any mainstream news coverage for the next week apart from when they are talking about how outraged they are that people dare to have a different opinion. 

Already we have his "controversial sense of humour" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair, I haven't seen anyone 'celebrating' it. Cheeky little 'get in' that I've got some points on the deadpool but I think everyone in it had him. Without doubt he's a historical figure etc but not everyone falls for the facade that the royals are some sort of special entity whose lives we should all celebrate/mourn. He did some great things in the war by all accounts and that is commendable for sure. 

I we think this is a ball-ache wait til Liz goes to join the old cunt. It'll be on the news for weeks.

Apart from all the TV channels,  I counted 14 radio stations all carrying the same audio.  Can't get away from it. Why not just report it once as a flash and carry on as usual. 

Oh fuck!!!  We've the televised funeral to come. All day job no doubt

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Is A Red ok? 

I was walking along Frenchmans creek earlier when I found out but I showed grit and determination and managed to make my way home. I will probably be as pissed off with the coverage as you though, its going to drag on with endless twats and their pretend grief.

I will probably also get pissed off with reading the endless references to him being a racist. He was a bloke of his age and his privilege wont have helped his views, but as we have seen on this forum someone can be a racist or a homophobe for example and change with the times. Maybe he did.

• Upvote 3