You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How confident do you feel for next season?

Section_31

If we'd got VVD in last summer instead of January then we would have been a lot closer to City i think. I didnt think when we signed him that he'd make as big a difference as he did.

I thought midfield was a problem in terms of chances conceded but weve gone above and beyond what i thought we were capable and willing to do, if we went out and got Fekir (i think the Alison deal ended that) id be lying if i said i didnt think we'd be in with a big shout for the league.

Carving out goals last season then watching the defence/midfield capitulate the lead must have been hard for the attackers, this time around we wont concede as many chances.

Besides all this i think Keita will be player of the year.

Watching Virgil play the other night it was clear to me that the opposition shouldn't even bother trying to score when he's about. Just concentrate on keeping us to 3 or 4 and be grateful we leave it at that.

City do look like winning again at a canter but so have so many others in the past. Otamendi Walker De Bruyne Sterling and Fernandiho played a shit load of games in the last 12 months and I'd imagine that will catch up with them at some stage. Jesus went backwards in the world cup, he is not going to be the player I thought he could become. If we are within 4 or 5 points by the new year we will win it.

We're going to give it a damned good go aren't we?

I reckon we could sneak it if Citeh get some injuries and have some bad luck. Perhaps refereeing decisions or getting distracted by new Sterling tattoo or CL. 

Amazing feeling having a decent keeper with huge black gloves of doom. He probably growls at Karius when he puts them on. 

I think we'll win the league. I think that every year even when we're shit, but this time I genuinely do think we've got a chance.

The niggling doubt is obviously that we've gone for Fekir so feel like we need that type of player, and then when it hasn't materialised, just left it at that. I can't knock Klopp for his signings or his insistence on waiting for the right lad if he can't get him now/at all, but there's no doubt in my mind we are one big player light in those attacking areas, and i don't see why we'd take a chance on the fitness of the front lads rather than overstocking (especially as you can write off any meaningful contributions from Lallana and Sturridge before a ball has been kicked).

However, i can't really knock this manager. It's apparent by now that he knows what he's doing, i just sometimes feel we lack that bit of urgency. I want to win the league this year, not next year or three years down the line. I'm not sure how desperately the club and manager share that view. 

• Upvote 1

I think the first half a dozen games are going to be massive, new players bedding in , getting over losing the Champions League Final in that way, players like Salah and Mane getting over poor World Cups (not down to them by the way).

I think if we can be there or thereabouts after those games and the front three start to click then I think we have a great chance.....

Of finishing above Spurs.......(can't bring myself to say what I really mean after too many disappointments )

• Upvote 1

Teams other than ourselves need to find ways of taking points off Manchester City if we're to have a crack at the title that doesn't drift away in February.

We'll also need the same luck that we had for much of last season in terms of the availability of Mane/Firmino/Salah.

I think we'll win the league. I think that every year even when we're shit, but this time I genuinely do think we've got a chance.

The niggling doubt is obviously that we've gone for Fekir so feel like we need that type of player, and then when it hasn't materialised, just left it at that. I can't knock Klopp for his signings or his insistence on waiting for the right lad if he can't get him now/at all, but there's no doubt in my mind we are one big player light in those attacking areas, and i don't see why we'd take a chance on the fitness of the front lads rather than overstocking (especially as you can write off any meaningful contributions from Lallana and Sturridge before a ball has been kicked).

However, i can't really knock this manager. It's apparent by now that he knows what he's doing, i just sometimes feel we lack that bit of urgency. I want to win the league this year, not next year or three years down the line. I'm not sure how desperately the club and manager share that view. 

Love the confidence BBT , but I think you point out an issue in your last paragraph. While as fans we are all desperate to win the League , it doesn't make a massive difference financially to FSG & Jurgen would ( understandably ) rate CL success far higher.

Yeah I think if we win the title there'll be a large dollop of luck involved rather than it being a case of the club pushing the boat and making sure it happens. We got away with selling Coutinho in Jan last year. Feel like we're trying to get away with going into this season 1-2 light as things stand. But again, very hard to criticise at the moment isn't it. 

Since Pep joined City he's spent more cash than fergie and Wenger did in their entire careers. I know transfer fees are daft so it's not entirely relevant, but interesting anyway.

Did some quick mafs last week too.

Klopp has a net spend of about 150m since he joined.

Mourinho about 350m.

Guadiola about 450m.

It all depends on how we start - particularly with those first games against the other top rivals. Denting their confidence will be a key to our success.

We should be stronger than most of our rivals early doors.

Most of them had more of their key players go all the way in world cup than us.

Has to give us an edge early....likes of Kane, DeBruyne et al will have literally 1 week back with their clubs before season starts.

Having VVD for a full season improving massively on the Goalkeeper adding Keita and Fabinho and generally upgrading the squad means we will definitely be in the mix fuck this top 4 shite I'm thinking Champions or 2nd at worst

I know it doesn't exactly work like that but surely VVD for a full season and Alisson on goal gives you at least 10 more points. That'd be 85 points at least. Need to hope that we can do even better than this and City drop a level.

City still have better 2nd 11 than ours so luck with injuries will mean a lot. And their spending probably isn't over.

Bravo

Danilo Laporte Stones Zinchenko

Foden Gundagon Delph

Mahrez Jesus B Silva

Karius

Clyne Matip Gomez Moreno

Milner Wijnaldum Lallana

Shaqiri Sturridge Solanke

The more important question is whether we need a Coutinho replacement.  We have a very different and more dynamic midfield now.  I'd be happier if we brought in another top quality attacking midfielder, but the days on relying on one creative player - who was too often nullified by teams who could defend and showed him onto his weak foot - are behind us. 

• Upvote 2

The more important question is whether we need a Coutinho replacement.  We have a very different and more dynamic midfield now.  I'd be happier if we brought in another top quality attacking midfielder, but the days on relying on one creative player - who was too often nullified by teams who could defend and showed him onto his weak foot - are behind us. 

I think we need a Coutinho replacement. Not a like-for-like, but somebody who can come in and offer very high level cover in and around the attacking midfield areas. Right now, it's not deep enough.

I think we need a Coutinho replacement. Not a like-for-like, but somebody who can come in and offer very high level cover in and around the attacking midfield areas. Right now, it's not deep enough.

I agree with your broad point but would quibble over the word “need”. I think this squad could win the title. I also think (don’t laugh) that a judiciously deployed and frequently rested Daniel Sturridge could be the deciding factor in our season.

However, I definitely think there’s room for Fekir or an equivalent talent in this squad.

I agree with your broad point but would quibble over the word “need”. I think this squad could win the title. I also think (don’t laugh) that a judiciously deployed and frequently rested Daniel Sturridge could be the deciding factor in our season.

However, I definitely think there’s room for Fekir or an equivalent talent in this squad.

I don’t think the squad is good enough to win the title, honestly. Man City are fucking outrageous. I also think relying on Sturridge is folly. We are two players away from having a real crack. One of those must be in midfield and the other is CB. Could do with Werner, too.

City are beyond the beyond.