You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Edwards

Ne Moe Imya

• 4 months later...

Build him a statue already.

Much being made of the fact that the times when he's spent huge money he's got it absolutely spot on with Alisson and van Dijk, but it should also be noted that the rest of tonight's back 5 cost £8m combined.

It's the absolute perfect way to do business. When you can, you go out and get a bargain like Matip or Robertson. And then you supplement those players with absolute stars for huge money like Alisson and VVD. Throw in an Alexander-Arnold-style success out of the academy every couple of years and it's a recipe for challenging the oil billionaires right at the top of the game.

Honestly, right now if Edwards pulled out his laptop and said we should buy Aly Cissokho or Djimi Traore for £80m I'd say "if that's what you think we need, then let's get him." Genius.

• Upvote 2

I think paying big for the right players is a mixture of trust from FSG in this guy and in Klopp and the fact that we're now earning more because it's working out. And rightly so. Why would you give 200m to those who will waste it? They've proven that most big money purchases are working out. I suspect that the more it works, the more money will be there when needed. These guys don't just buy for the sake of it. They buy with a purpose and keep the money in their pocket otherwise.

Edwards/the transfer committee people were always good at their jobs. The reason why it's paying off more now is because there is a great working relationship between them and Klopp, who was used to a similar system at Dortmund and because we have consistent Champions League football and a charismatic manager who can sell the club.  

26 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Edwards/the transfer committee people were always good at their jobs. The reason why it's paying off more now is because there is a great working relationship between them and Klopp, who was used to a similar system at Dortmund and because we have consistent Champions League football and a charismatic manager who can sell the club.  

I think Pogba would be a beast playing for Klopp

20 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

They were shite at it at that time and so was he.

Could have been due to the working relationship though? Rodgers was always adamant that he was in charge(Madre de Dios!) and wanted little interference whereas Klopp said from day 1 that he was happy for a relationship which required input from others apart from himself. Inexperience spoke while experience listens.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Could have been due to the working relationship though? Rodgers was always adamant that he was in charge(Madre de Dios!) and wanted little interference whereas Klopp said from day 1 that he was happy for a relationship which required input from others apart from himself. Inexperience spoke while experience listens.

I'm listening

It's fair to say that Rodgers trusted Edwards about as far as he could throw him. Edwards / the transfer committee weren't as good back then as what they are now though. I doubt even Klopp could have got much out of Iago Aspas in English football. Luis Alberto likewise. Excellent players in the right environment but completely unsuited to the Premier League. I mean the transfer committee were behind signing Lazar Markovic for £19.75m or whatever, Klopp took one look at him and said no thanks. And he's still here, we couldn't even get a transfer fee for him.

Edwards and his team are really good at what they do, but they've needed patience and support to get this good.

If he wasn’t doing his job well we wouldn’t in the position we currently are and I’d definitely be calling him a stats virgin with a laptop, so credit where credit’s due.

Seems fairly evident it takes a manager with the humility and security to involve him properly too, so yet another feather in Klopp’s cap.

From Brendan and the motorbike courier to this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

It's fair to say that Rodgers trusted Edwards about as far as he could throw him. Edwards / the transfer committee weren't as good back then as what they are now though. I doubt even Klopp could have got much out of Iago Aspas in English football. Luis Alberto likewise. Excellent players in the right environment but completely unsuited to the Premier League. I mean the transfer committee were behind signing Lazar Markovic for £19.75m or whatever, Klopp took one look at him and said no thanks. And he's still here, we couldn't even get a transfer fee for him.

Edwards and his team are really good at what they do, but they've needed patience and support to get this good.

Markovic has refused to leave at least once after a fee was agreed.