You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Now TV

Section_31

I very rarely watch a film/tv series more than once so a library is no use to the likes of me. My musical tastes are overwhelmingly in the past tense so again live sport is the only thing I need to find a suitable provider for.

PS Netflix is good but you can struggle for stuff to watch after a while.

Do you know what? You’re god damn right. I’m gonna ring Sky right now and agree to give them £60 a month on top of what I already pay them for broadband. Thanks for the moral lesson.

No different to walking into HMV and robbing the box sets, but rationalise it however you want.

Like saying you bought 4 Xbox games from them, so that entitles you to steal everything else you want.

There's really no excuse for it in this climate. 

All of the content is available relatively affordably, contract free, meaning you don't have to commit to anything. You wanna blitz GOT? Do a month of Now TV. Built up a bunch of Netflix originals you haven't seen? Switch it out for a month. 

The only way I'd advocate for the illegal streaming is if there's a show you're unable to get due to licensing restrictions, but that's rarer and rarer these days.

You're not "sticking it to Murdoch." You're sticking it to fellow humans who he'll charge more in order to make up the difference. 

No different to walking into HMV and robbing the box sets, but rationalise it however you want.

There’s a significant difference in how much it actually costs them. After all, box sets cost money to produce the materials. If you mean ethically or morally, I guess that’s a matter of debate.

There’s a significant difference in how much it actually costs them. After all, box sets cost money to produce the materials. If you mean ethically or morally, I guess that’s a matter of debate.

Hosting large amounts of content on servers for on-demand streaming also costs money. 

Hosting large amounts of content on servers for on-demand streaming also costs money. 

I'm not sure what point you're making there? Somebody not using the service costs them less, not more. You're assuming that those who aren't buying the media would do if they couldn't get it elsewhere. That's not necessarily true, and in many cases definitely isn't true. Again, I could see the argument from a moral perspective, but from a cost perspective, I'm not seeing how it's the same as pinching from HMV. 

I have been building my own personal Netflix for the last ten years. I’ve got 16TB of TV and Movies. Most of them in 1080p 10bit or 4K. It’s just a fucking chore to keep it updated. Plex has been great though. The only thing I have a problem with is live sports. That’s pretty much sorted now, too.

It cost a lot of money to buy all those TV Shows and Movies. They’re all legally obtained.

I had a very similar setup (dedicated 3x4tb plex server) but I moved house and the server blew up (fried mem controller on the motherboard) and I haven't got around to rebuilding the setup into my current desktop pc. Once I can be arsed, it'll be great. It class controlling your own library, especially for older or more obscure stuff.

By the time you add up the costs including:

Electricity 24/7

Time for building

Time for maintenance

Parts (especially if you want to build in redundancy)

It's effectively very costly.

Fucking excellent to have though.

I had mine set up as a few things to try and justify the cost. I set it up as my own personal cloud server, torrent seedbox etc. I could use uTorrent in my phone to add any content remotely and plex would pick it up automatically and rebuild the library.

I could be at a mates house, torrent a series to my home server, then immediately cast it from my phone to his TV.

I had a very similar setup (dedicated 3x4tb plex server) but I moved house and the server blew up (fried mem controller on the motherboard) and I haven't got around to rebuilding the setup into my current desktop pc. Once I can be arsed, it'll be great. It class controlling your own library, especially for older or more obscure stuff.

Yeah, definitely. Plex is brilliant. I put all of my DVDs, BRs and box sets on there (and it took fucking ages, but was worth it) that I had from years back. I'm digital as fuck now. Long gone are the days of having a CDs, Records, and DVDs all in the house. I think that's good thing. It's easy as shit to use, too.

You're not "sticking it to Murdoch." You're sticking it to fellow humans who he'll charge more in order to make up the difference.

They’re free to jib it and stream it illegally if they so wish. Do you think Sky would lower their prices if more people subscribed? They wouldn’t, they’d do the opposite.

Most of the shows people stream illegally are made for American TV anyway. Streaming them here in the UK makes virtually no difference to their bottom line. Take the HBO shows for example. Sky pay HBO (up to, perhaps not even as much as) £55m a year for exclusivity to their entire catalogue. A quick Google search will tell you that Sky had a turnover of £12.9 billion in 2016/17. They’re making more than enough money.

I can understand what Karl_b said about the negative effect on the music industry. That’s clear as day. Streaming TV though? Nah.

They’re free to jib it and stream it illegally if they so wish. Do you think Sky would lower their prices if more people subscribed? They wouldn’t, they’d do the opposite.

Most of the shows people stream illegally are made for American TV anyway. Streaming them here in the UK makes virtually no difference to their bottom line. Take the HBO shows for example. Sky pay HBO (up to, perhaps not even as much as) £55m a year for exclusivity to their entire catalogue. A quick Google search will tell you that Sky had a turnover of £12.9 billion in 2016/17. They’re making more than enough money.

I can understand what Karl_b said about the negative effect on the music industry. That’s clear as day. Streaming TV though? Nah.

You heard it here first folks. The Global Phenomenon That Is Game Of Thrones was only made for American TV and just happened to catch on. 

I’m glad you managed to grasp the point. It’s a HBO show. HBO being a subscription based US broadcaster, not available here in the UK.

Wow! You don't say? I genuinely think it's cool you've cast yourself as Robin Hood here. It takes some mental gymnastics, but it's kinda good to know that just because something isn't a physical, tangible product and exists in a digital realm that it makes it fair game to be stolen. 

Oh as well as licensing its content to Sky in the UK and Ireland, HBO has its own networks in: Canada, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Chile, Colombia, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, Spain, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong and the Philippines.

Wow! You don't say? I genuinely think it's cool you've cast yourself as Robin Hood here. It takes some mental gymnastics, but it's kinda good to know that just because something isn't a physical, tangible product and exists in a digital realm that it makes it fair game to be stolen.

Oh as well as licensing its content to Sky in the UK and Ireland, HBO has its own networks in: Canada, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Chile, Colombia, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, Spain, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong and the Philippines.

Nothing Robin Hood about it, fella. You can call it stealing, I can laugh at it.

It doesn’t matter how many other countries HBO broadcasts in, my point remains the same.

I’m sure we’re both happy doing what we’re doing.

Nothing Robin Hood about it, fella. You can call it stealing, I can laugh at it.

It doesn’t matter how many other countries HBO broadcasts in, my point remains the same.

I’m sure we’re both happy doing what we’re doing.

Good talk.

The way I see it I work to spend money on things I enjoy and paying for Netflix, Now TV and amazon Prime is that, fuck them kodi sticks they never work anyway, I want to enjoy my progammes in full HD with no buffering or anything. The demise of cinema is the saddest aspect for me, I'd fucking love it if people couldn't watch movies illegally, going the cinema isn't just about the movie it's the experience itself. I take Jaden to Imax now and again, it costs a fair few quid but you get what you pay for, I can't recreate that.

• Upvote 4

The way I see it I work to spend money on things I enjoy and paying for Netflix, Now TV and amazon Prime is that, fuck them kodi sticks they never work anyway, I want to enjoy my progammes in full HD with no buffering or anything. The demise of cinema is the saddest aspect for me, I'd fucking love it if people couldn't watch movies illegally, going the cinema isn't just about the movie it's the experience itself. I take Jaden to Imax now and again, it costs a fair few quid but you get what you pay for, I can't recreate that.

problem with the cinema these days Al is that too many twats just don't know how to behave in a public place.  It's not just kids either, their parents are feral and have no concept of taking other people into account.  

• Upvote 2

I won't watch anything on Kodi that I would normally go to the pictures to see. I only go for the bid Star Wars/Bond  type thing or with the kids.

I don't see the point in spending 25 quid to sit with nobs to watch a normal film. i'd rather be a home with a some munchies that cost less than a mortgage.

Our local cinema was looking for investors. I looked into it and financially it was basically a sweetie shop that showed films.

problem with the cinema these days Al is that too many twats just don't know how to behave in a public place.  It's not just kids either, their parents are feral and have no concept of taking other people into account.  

I only go to Liverpool one for the big films or the Plaza for anything else, and by and large it's not bad, I went the showcase not too long ago and I won't go again, just wanted to kill everyone.