You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

25 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Everything just sticks to him.  When you see them hands open up you just know he’s hoovering it up. Top class signing and probably the best keeper I’ve seen play for us.

No probably for me.   He's better than Reina ever was by some distance and unfortunately he's the only other one worth mentioning really.    

20 hours ago, Grinch said:

No probably for me.   He's better than Reina ever was by some distance and unfortunately he's the only other one worth mentioning really.    

I think keepers have tended to run out of steam for us and had some terrible years before being replaced and it tarnishes people’s memories of how good they were.  Reina completely tailed off in his final years although people were in complete denial but he was fantastic for 3-4 years.  Dudek was actually really good as well for a season or so.

Alisson has basically been flawless whilst also being far better on the floor than any of them but it has only been a year.  If he went on to have 2-3 poor seasons I think the argument between him and Reina would be quite close.

• Upvote 1

On 15/11/2019 at 14:58, The Guest said:

I think keepers have tended to run out of steam for us and had some terrible years before being replaced and it tarnishes people’s memories of how good they were.  Reina completely tailed off in his final years although people were in complete denial but he was fantastic for 3-4 years.  Dudek was actually really good as well for a season or so.

Alisson has basically been flawless whilst also being far better on the floor than any of them but it has only been a year.  If he went on to have 2-3 poor seasons I think the argument between him and Reina would be quite close.

Alisson has been fucking ace, but he’s not been better with his feet than Reina. 

35 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Give over. 

Didn’t Reina have 6 assists for goals one season? 

Alisson is brilliant, great with his feet and a better keeper.

He’s a not as good as Reina with his feet though. 

I think Reina was better with the passing, but Alisson seems better with close control and when put under pressure.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

I think Reina was better with the passing, but Alisson seems better with close control and when put under pressure.

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Give over. 

Didn’t Reina have 6 assists for goals one season? 

Alisson is brilliant, great with his feet and a better keeper.

He’s a not as good as Reina with his feet though. 

Reina didn’t play the ball out anywhere near to what Alisson does or experience the type of difficulty he does either.  Reina was renowned for having good distribution at the time but that tended to be because he was very quick and accurate at throwing the ball mainly and hitting long balls.  It suited our tactics because we were a negative team that tried to hit sides on the break.

Football has changed massively since Reina’s peak with the latest thing being that goalies at the top clubs have to be able to pass like midfielders.  I honestly don’t know how you can watch Alisson and think he isn’t streets ahead on the floor compared to any keepers of previous generations never mind just Reina.  Him and Ederson are in a different planet to every keeper now with their feet and most average keepers are above what the top keepers used to be like and it’s down to the type of football most teams want to play.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Reina didn’t play the ball out anywhere near to what Alisson does or experience the type of difficulty he does either.  Reina was renowned for having good distribution at the time but that tended to be because he was very quick and accurate at throwing the ball mainly and hitting long balls.  It suited our tactics because we were a negative team that tried to hit sides on the break.

Football has changed massively since Reina’s peak with the latest thing being that goalies at the top clubs have to be able to pass like midfielders.  I honestly don’t know how you can watch Alisson and think he isn’t streets ahead on the floor compared to any keepers of previous generations never mind just Reina.  Him and Ederson are in a different planet to every keeper now with their feet and most average keepers are above what the top keepers used to be like and it’s down to the type of football most teams want to play.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. 

Reina was the best ‘sweeper keeper’ in the world. Rafa even played him in midfield in a preseason game. 

• Upvote 1

Alisson is the best goalkeeper we've ever had with his feet,by a country mile. Reina didn't pick out full backs and midfielders like Xabi Alonso from in goal,which is what Alisson is able to do. Reina was a great kicker of the ball but it was often a punt upfield. Reina's throwing and starting of counter attacks was second to none though.