You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, its not silly - it is a fact.

It's only a fact if you agree with their definition of what counts as an error leading to a goal - which I vehemently do not. So really, the fact is 'what we at Opta see as an error leading to a goal, ignoring all sorts of other mistakes which result in a goal. Great. Really fucking useful. Or, as I call it... silly. 9/10 people enjoy gang rape. It doesn't mean that 'fact' is any less silly. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Luckyhillkop said:

It's silly if it's used to make the 'Alisson is as shit as Mignolet' point. Which no one is. 

Disagree. When you compare two players, negatively, whilst talking about their susceptibility for making mistakes, you are criticising them based off of that comparison. It's every bit as relevant as other facts, like... oh, I dunno, the 'Gerrard leagues = 0, Nicky Butt = 6' and preceding it with, 'I love Gerrard, but I wish he was a bit more of a winner'. It's fucking ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It's only a fact if you agree with their definition of what counts as an error leading to a goal - which I vehemently do not. So really, the fact is 'what we at Opta see as an error leading to a goal, ignoring all sorts of other mistakes which result in a goal. Great. Really fucking useful. Or, as I call it... silly. 9/10 people enjoy gang rape. It doesn't mean that 'fact' is any less silly. 

Doesn't matter if you agree or not -- it is a fact. That definition is used for every keeper so it is pretty easy to make direct comparisons. Let's be honest -- you don't want your keeper to be doing stuff that falls into that definition

• Like 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Doesn't matter if you agree or not -- it is a fact. That definition is used for every keeper so it is pretty easy to make direct comparisons. Let's be honest -- you don't want your keeper to be doing stuff that falls into that definition

No. It's a narrow, subjective definition that doesn't match the name of the statistic. So it's not a fact, it's a collation based off of somebody's opinion of whether something fits their own subjective pre-chosen opinion. So, you know, a load of silly wank. 

It is subjective nonsense.  Lukaku smashes a hard cross across goal and our keeper tries to stop it.  It spills to an opposition player and he scores.  Mane does something similar although weaker and De Gea kicks it with his foot into a dangerous area and Shaqiri scores.  Ones a goalkeeping error because he tried to do more with it.  

Separately I’m not sure if anyone else got this but after the Napoli game I seen a few things doing the rounds and Ev fans in work about it not being a great save because it was straight at him.  Completely ignoring that the save was about him anticipating what the player was doing and closing the space.  It was funny that Mane got put in a similar position in the box and scores hitting the ball relatively close to the De Gea.

22 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Mane does something similar although weaker and De Gea kicks it with his foot into a dangerous area and Shaqiri scores.

I get what you are saying but Mane's attempted cross was deflected by a Utd player and Dr Gea had to react to that. The cross Alisson spilled was a straightforward one. 

It was by any definition an error. It’s the comparison with mig/karius errors that is the contentious bit.

if it was a comparison with De Gea (the world class goalie playing in the same game at the other end) or Kepa (the equally absurdly priced recent addition to the league) then it would be an interesting comparison to read, but the comparison with Mig/Karius is made for one reason only, to say “ha, I know he’s loads better but looks, this comparison will make him look as bad or worse than the clowns he’s replaced and get internet mongs arguing and sharing our name about”. 

Im now also an internet mong. Thanks Stronts and NV, you caused this.

it may be a fact (although as NV says, by what/who’s definition) that Allison has made X number of errors, but he’s also got the most clean sheets and the fewest goals conceded in the league so I’ll consider a wider comparison to those two dicks more worthwhile than this one.

• Upvote 1

As far as I'm concerned, his two mistakes fall into the: "If a tree falls in the forest and no one heard it, did it really happen?" category. Didn't affect the results so I don't care.

Secondly, Mignolet's main issue wasn't even that he was error-prone - although he very much was - it was that he barely saved anything. Half the shots on target we conceded ended up in the net. Alisson's been the complete opposite and is pretty much saving every shot that he should be expected to save. Ultimately, that's the important thing. And also that he doesn't shit himself with the ball at his feet. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

As far as I'm concerned, his two mistakes fall into the: "If a tree falls in the forest and no one heard it, did it really happen?" category. Didn't affect the results so I don't care.

Secondly, Mignolet's main issue wasn't even that he was error-prone - although he very much was - it was that he barely saved anything. Half the shots on target we conceded ended up in the net. Alisson's been the complete opposite and is pretty much saving every shot that he should be expected to save. Ultimately, that's the important thing. And also that he doesn't shit himself with the ball at his feet. 

Last paragraph here sums it up for me. Messi missed something like 8 penalties a couple of seasons ago, dont think that meant he was the worst attacker in European football.

10 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So when it’s offside per the rules of the game it’s not offside because it wasn’t given, rather than the Lino making a mistake? 

You know your view means the rules are made up on the spot and mistakes can’t happen because the rules change when a ref makes a decision, right? That’s the required result of your logic. Yeah. Very solid. 

Give it a rest please,I know how you always think you are right and hate criticism but it wasnt a foul and wasn't given therefore its irrelevant what we both think but I agreed with the ref.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Give it a rest please,I know how you always think you are right and hate criticism but it wasnt a foul and wasn't given therefore its irrelevant what we both think but I agreed with the ref.

Fuck off, gobby cunt. It was a foul as per the rules. I’m not debating that it wasn’t given. Just like Salah’s offside wasn’t given. But with the benefit of replays, and knowledge of the rules, you can clearly see that it was a foul and it was offside. The way the ref called it is of little relevance. Have a look at it again. He pushes the cunt. 

Are you ever right. About anything. Ever? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. Jesus, Vlad. Wake the fuck up, man. 

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Fuck off, gobby cunt. It was a foul as per the rules. I’m not debating that it wasn’t given. Just like Salah’s offside wasn’t given. But with the benefit of replays, and knowledge of the rules, you can clearly see that it was a foul and it was offside. The way the ref called it is of little relevance. Have a look at it again. He pushes the cunt. 

Are you ever right. About anything. Ever? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. Jesus, Vlad. Wake the fuck up, man. 

He’s probably never seen a replay of it.  He watches the games and turns everything off at half time and at full time so that he can avoid pundits not realising the only knowledge he’s ever gained is up to the point he’s started turning it off.  It explains why he’s wrong about basically everything.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of months back I commented that Alisson Becker could have more PL clean sheets by the end of the season than Pickford has had in his career. I was half joking at the time but it will happen by May. Pickford has 18 clean sheets in 126 games (For 2 shit teams in fairness), Alisson has 12 in 19 games.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, No2 said:

A couple of months back I commented that Alisson Becker could have more PL clean sheets by the end of the season than Pickford has had in his career. I was half joking at the time but it will happen by May. Pickford has 18 clean sheets in 126 games (For 2 shit teams in fairness), Alisson has 12 in 19 games.

That's insane.

I love the way we keep so many clean sheets without ever being a defensive side.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, Numero Veinticinco said:

Are ... are you talking about the rapists themselves?

On 12/17/2018 at 9:56 PM, Numero Veinticinco said:

Only just seen this thread as haven't been on it for a while but I find this a bit unnecessary in a simple debate over an incident in a football match months ago. You don't seem to like people who disagree with your opinion much and seem a bit spikey when challenged over such opinions. An over the top post for me Clive.

• Upvote 2