You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

Iheanacho was penalised for a much softer bit of contact against Guaita in goal for Palace at the weekend; I didn't have too much problem with the goal against us being given but Alisson was a bit unlucky when you compare it with other similar incidents.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Amazing that people can find things to argue so vehemently about when we are all in agreement about a player's greatness. Some folk probably need to get out more.

Hahaha. From possibly the most combative, argumentative person I’ve ever met on the internet, that’s quite a thing. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Seriously need to get rid off Achterberg, no idea what he does with our 'keepers to turn them into such wallies! We've paid £65M for Allison and he needs a goal keeping coach at that level.

Why ?

Top golfers and tennis players all have coaches ( many of whom you'll never have heard of)

Certainly Allison needs a coach to keep him at the top of his game

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Why ?

Top golfers and tennis players all have coaches ( many of whom you'll never have heard of)

Certainly Allison needs a coach to keep him at the top of his game

Achterberg is easy to deal with. Whatever he says, do the opposite. 

I read the match report on the bbc website and they run through some bullet pointed stats at the end.

one of those was the errors vs mig/karius last year stat, and as soon as I read it I thought to myself - there’ll be mongs  arguing both sides of this on TLW soon enough.

for my money, I don’t like the stat as a fuck up directly leading to a goal is typically a mistake that most goalies will and do make. Like yesterday. Letting a cross you should take squirm away for a goal. They all make them, absolutely all of them, so it’s margianlly interesting to know if yours does it more often than others, but not really.

what the stat doesn’t take into account is all the errors or poor play that only lead to a goal indirectly, or more importantly for me, concede a goal that should have been stopped.

thats where Allison is so much better than any keeper we’ve had since early Reina. (He’s better than him too, just not so, so, so much better).

for my money, he’s made two errors this season directly leading to goals.

the one yesterday and the one against Leicester (which I personally don’t think I was a foul, but should probably have been given as one seeing how goalies get everything given as a bloody foul these days).

that was probably a handy error in hindsight as we went on to win the game and he definitely learnt from it.

yesterday was just something that happens. He’ll get over it and I already have. Helps that we won, obviously.

the stat causing an argument can quite easily be put to bed... put Allison in goal last season in Kiev and we don’t concede at least two of the goals we conceded, possibly all 3. If the stat leaves that in any way uncertain then it’s a shit stat and you can ignore it.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Big fan of Alisson, but if he can cut the mistakes out, that would be great. Two errors leading to goals in 17 league games is as many as Mignolet gave away in 19 league games last season.

Lucky for us the errors cost nothing but reduced goal difference.

I remember reading somewhere that last season with Roma he had no error at all that led to a goal. Here's hoping 0 error in the 2nd half of the season. 

1 minute ago, Luckyhillkop said:

I don't think SD highlighted the stat to say Alisson is as shit as Mignolet so I don't get what the fuss is about. 

I don’t specifically either. But I knew anyone mentioning it would find themselves at the centre of an argument.

the person that put the stat together in the first place knew that too.