You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

6 minutes ago, xabi the red said:

Trust big Joel to slam on the breaks and redirect towards Ali

Joel stamped his signature over the whole celebrations. That clip of him carefully tidying up the extension lead while everyone else was dancing in the dressing room - quintessential Matip. I don't what planet he's really from but he's priceless.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's strange though,because we are used to his brilliance we expect it of him. It's hard to disagree though.

That's when you know a keeper is good isn't  it? You just expect him to perform. You never even think to worry about it.

When we had karius,Mignolet, Reina, Westerveld etc You just hoped they didn't fuck up. Probably a bit harsh on Pepe as he started out really well and so did Dudek to be fair. Nothing like Ali though. 

29 minutes ago, Street Preacher said:

That's when you know a keeper is good isn't  it? You just expect him to perform. You never even think to worry about it.

When we had karius,Mignolet, Reina, Westerveld etc You just hoped they didn't fuck up. Probably a bit harsh on Pepe as he started out really well and so did Dudek to be fair. Nothing like Ali though. 

Yep. Up there with our best,if not THE best.

2 minutes ago, Code said:

Hard to argue with it?

We had a player who finished on top of both the scoring and the assists chart. 

Salah had an extraordinary first six months, but his performance dipped in the last three months.

Ali was tremendous from August to May with no fluctuations. I just watched the Utd home game earlier and he made two big saves, while not giving the ball away in his distribution.

I think he’s better than Clem.

I’m probably being harsh but I need another few seasons, at his current level, before he’d displace Clem in my all time XI.

Both clearly excellent, but Ray wins at the moment on longevity. Particularly due to the foundation that provided to a period of virtual invincibility for the Club. 

I want Alisson to surpass him as that would mean we all have more glory to come but he’s not quite there yet. 

1 hour ago, Code said:

Hard to argue with it?

We had a player who finished on top of both the scoring and the assists chart. 

Code you aren’t the only human alive who watches this team and people are entitled to an opinion different to you. Salah was amazing for two 3rds of the season but he was absolutely shite towards the end. Alisson and Van Dijk were our most consistently good players throughout. Deal with it 

The number of near-certain goals he's prevented so far is truly quite extraordinary. I've never seen a keeper so good at dealing with one-on-ones; it's become a bit of a cruel cycle for him - because he's so good at it we've been able to play even higher, which has obliged him to deal with even more high risk one-on-ones, but he keeps doing it. (Clem would have thrown such a wobbly after one or two that, one way or another, a change would have happened.) Those saves aren't as replay-friendly as balletic dives through the air, but there's a rare art to them. I can see from the Courtois hysteria that it's already being taken for granted by many fans, but I doubt any other keeper in our history has made quite so many crucial saves, partly because of how we play and partly because he's simply so good.

On 06/06/2022 at 03:30, YorkshireRed said:

Both clearly excellent, but Ray wins at the moment on longevity.

Thats it really - the history of the team he played in. I don't remember him being talked about as the best in the world. Probably not even the best in England during that time - but a club legend.

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Thats it really - the history of the team he played in. I don't remember him being talked about as the best in the world. Probably not even the best in England during that time - but a club legend.

Oh yes, he had his champions in England (not just his teammates). Shilton was by no means universally regarded as better.

On 06/06/2022 at 11:19, gkmacca said:

The number of near-certain goals he's prevented so far is truly quite extraordinary. I've never seen a keeper so good at dealing with one-on-ones; it's become a bit of a cruel cycle for him - because he's so good at it we've been able to play even higher, which has obliged him to deal with even more high risk one-on-ones, but he keeps doing it. (Clem would have thrown such a wobbly after one or two that, one way or another, a change would have happened.) Those saves aren't as replay-friendly as balletic dives through the air, but there's a rare art to them. I can see from the Courtois hysteria that it's already being taken for granted by many fans, but I doubt any other keeper in our history has made quite so many crucial saves, partly because of how we play and partly because he's simply so good.

Interesting point, he deals with these 1v1s fairly regularly and just cracks on like it's part of the job, no drama. 

Other keepers go absolutely apeshit at their defence every time they're forced to do some work and make a save or two, because they're so uncomfortable in those situations and they know they got away with one.

That's how cool he is, rentlessly handsome too. God I love him.