You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Greatest of all time?

The distribution is something Klopp can coach, but making decisive saves in big moments is not. 

If we win all four, he overtakes Scott and Clemence, for me.

I think he's already challenging Clem,but not quite the trophy haul yet. Or were you counting trophies?

11 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I am always surprised when an opponent scores in a one v one situation,which has got to be a good thing.

Oh yeah, when Jesus managed to time his run to perfection - that is only part one, really.

The 6'6 cat like agility is the final boss and he's a 20 point trophy winning phenom.

It can be forgotten these days, but Ray Clemence was never very good with his kicking, and the Kop would let him know it, too. Alisson can be superb if he spots a move far up the field, but can also be strangely inaccurate when he's actually got the time to play it to feet. I have no idea what got into him yesterday, it was awful.

Again like Clemence, he's excellent with his quick and long throws - and I wish he'd use them more often. Clemence usually tried to throw the ball rather than kick it. He played to his strengths and minimised his weaknesses.

Alisson seems to stick to the standard pattern of play regardless of how much it exposes his weakness. Whenever he gathers the ball, looks to throw it but then checks himself, I tense up a tad, because I know he's probably going to do the 'chase me, chase me!' routine with the forwards which is often just plain unnecessary. When he's really alert and bowls it straight out it's one of our best attacking strategies.

37 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think he's already challenging Clem,but not quite the trophy haul yet. Or were you counting trophies?

I think Ali has the potential to challenge Clem as the greatest Liverpool Goalie, (can't say anything about Scott obviously), he has all the attributes and he is the world's best atm.

But Clem was there for a very long time so there's a way to go yet imo.

Having said that, I can't go the game anymore so haven't seen him live.

He really is a fantastic Goalie, a brilliant shot stopper, great positioning, brave and with the ability to be a spectator for the vast majority of the game and then pull off the most amazing saves just like Clem used to.

I'd just like to see him stop playing short balls out when opposing players are pressing up high putting our back line under unnecessary pressure and causing mistakes, usually to Robbo, but even Virg has been caught out.

Proper heart in mouth stuff.

I'm not saying just hoof it up front, but sometimes it just irks.

He's definitely better looking than Clem was though, may the great man rest in peace.

• Upvote 1

Dont think I agree with the comment Clemence wasnt good with his kicking. From goal kicks to drop kicks, his job was just to punt the ball up field for Tosh to nod onto Keegan. Keepers were not expected to 'play the ball out' from the back during Ray's era.

Alli clearly does this (play the ball) a lot but Id say upto 50% of the time, even Alli's kicking is a little wayward.

Alli has a fair bit to go to be classed as better than Ray in my view. Id say Alli is currently on par with Bruce in his prime and way ahead of Reina.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Dont think I agree with the comment Clemence wasnt good with his kicking.

Well, HE said it, Shankly said it, Paisley said it, Evans said it, and it will be a common reference in any biography of him (e.g.: '.He suffered from nerves, especially with his kicking. Heckled by the home crowd during a game against Swansea, Shankly’s assistant Bob Paisley had the flags on the top of the stand removed so that Clemence could not see he was kicking in to the wind'). I didn't pluck the idea out of thin air just to niggle you. Yes, he improved as he went on but, by his own admission, his kicking was always a relatively weak spot and that's partly why he turned his throwing into such a strong quality to compensate. And of course he was a truly world class keeper.

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Well, HE said it, Shankly said it, Paisley said it, Evans said it, and it will be a common reference in any biography of him (e.g.: '.He suffered from nerves, especially with his kicking. Heckled by the home crowd during a game against Swansea, Shankly’s assistant Bob Paisley had the flags on the top of the stand removed so that Clemence could not see he was kicking in to the wind'). I didn't pluck the idea out of thin air just to niggle you. Yes, he improved as he went on but, by his own admission, his kicking was always a relatively weak spot and that's partly why he turned his throwing into such a strong quality to compensate. And of course he was a truly world class keeper.

It's a debate, mate so dont get all arsey just because someone posts a different view. Im just expressing my view. And that is when you look at Clemence's kicking over his career and not just one game or during his time in the Central League when understudy to Lawrence, his kicking wasnt poor, bad, shit or whatever, given the game plan, most of the time, was for keepers in that era to simply get the ball as far up the pitch as possible.

Total myth that his distribution needs work. He must have made 100 passes yesterday, and only 3 weren't any good, with 1 going out for a throw on.

Valdes was supposed to be the best in the world, and Ederson is currently, and the both fucked/fuck up massively on occasion.

Ali is the dogs bollocks. 

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Total myth that his distribution needs work. He must have made 100 passes yesterday, and only 3 weren't any good, with 1 going out for a throw on.

Valdes was supposed to be the best in the world, and Ederson is currently, and the both fucked/fuck up massively on occasion.

Could put it into the same bracket as the stressing about our high line. 

Probably looks worse than it is and we play that way because of the risk/reward ratio that our spreadsheet merchants have found is beneficial for us. 

2 hours ago, m0e said:

Not sure I agree with that. I'm sat watching the game now, and he's hoofed it straight out of play twice, passed it to a City player, and pinged it straight into Grealish's knees in the area. Not even 30 minutes on the clock.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Not sure I agree with that. I'm sat watching the game now, and he's hoofed it straight out of play twice, passed it to a City player, and pinged it straight into Grealish's knees in the area. Not even 30 minutes on the clock.

Thrilling way to spend your Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Did some gardening earlier, then read a book about cold war spies.

I'm happy with my life choices.

I've hung a man or two, in my life, but that doesn't make me a judge, such that I can stand in judgement of your clearly disastrous life choices.

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The volley out of play was away and safe from danger, so that's hardly an issue.

The other 3 are what I was on about. You wouldn't have seen another one.

His distribution issues are incontournable, really. Any top keeper in our system would be asked to take the same risks and would also fuck some stuff up sometimes. He's not as comfortable as Ederson with the ball, but Ederson is an alien in that regard and there aren't many better than Alisson after him.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

His distribution issues are incontournable, really. Any top keeper in our system would be asked to take the same risks and would also fuck some stuff up sometimes. He's not as comfortable as Ederson with the ball, but Ederson is an alien in that regard and there aren't many better than Alisson after him.

Somebody rep 3 Stacks for the use of incontournable please.