You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

2 hours ago, Chr15 said:

You would think the authorities in both countries would give some leeway given the situation. 

I'm sure all our thoughts are with Alli and his family

to be fair the authorities wouldn't give a flying fuck if he wasn't a footballer, so really it wouldn't seem right to alter any rules for Alisson because he is. It's tough for him and I think everyone has sympathy, which is why most on here are saying if it takes a month, it takes a month. But he won't be the 1st person to miss a loved ones funeral through all this shit and many people had to do that without the need to travel. 

I have got to be honest, I don't know if I was in that situation if I would really want to effectively spend a month in quarantine aside from a day in the middle to attend a funeral. Handling death is hard enough without stuff like that. I think I would prefer to go back and spend the summer with my family and pay my respects that way - when also it may be a little easier to travel. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

to be fair the authorities wouldn't give a flying fuck if he wasn't a footballer, so really it wouldn't seem right to alter any rules for Alisson because he is. It's tough for him and I think everyone has sympathy, which is why most on here are saying if it takes a month, it takes a month. But he won't be the 1st person to miss a loved ones funeral through all this shit and many people had to do that without the need to travel. 

I have got to be honest, I don't know if I was in that situation if I would really want to effectively spend a month in quarantine aside from a day in the middle to attend a funeral. Handling death is hard enough without stuff like that. I think I would prefer to go back and spend the summer with my family and pay my respects that way - when also it may be a little easier to travel. 

Fair point.  If it wasn't our goalkeeper I doubt if I'd have the same depth of sympathy.  Tough luck seems to be targeting us right now what with all the injuries, Klopps mum and now Alli's dad.

Just now, Chr15 said:

Fair point.  If it wasn't our goalkeeper I doubt if I'd have the same depth of sympathy.  Tough luck seems to be targeting us right now what with all the injuries, Klopps mum and now Alli's dad.

as i think someone pointed out on another thread, we need brucie back to do his magic. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-game/118248221/liverpool-legend-bruce-grobbelaar-lifts-curse-by-urinating-on-anfield-posts 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I would do both - and expect him to as well.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I would do both - and expect him to as well.

You're probably right. I don't think I could spend a month I quarantine in those circumstances. 

And I have no idea about policy on burials in Brazil, would they hang around for 2 weeks while he cleared quarantine? Here you'd be fucking lucky to get it organised that quickly, but I realise that's not normal in other parts of the world. 

It’s a tough situation. I live in the US and my Dad is in his last stages of cancer in the UK. I went back last October. Quarantined for two weeks. Spent the second two weeks with him. 

It’s tough when a parent is ebbing, but there’s a time for preparedness. You can make your peace. 

Unexpected loss is much crueler. Especially in these times. My heart goes out to Alisson. God Bless Fella.

• Upvote 13

Just reading the notes Jurgen has written for tonight's programme. Had me welling up.

Jurgen Klopp has paid a touching tribute to 'wonderful' Alisson following the tragic death of the goalkeeper's father in Brazil last week.

Jose Becker, 57, drowned in a lake near his holiday home in the south of the country on February 24, prompting an outpouring of sympathy for the Liverpool star.

And now Klopp, whose own mother sadly died in January, has told Alisson 'how much this team and this club loves him' in an emotional message.

The Brazilian is set to return to action against Chelsea tonight after missing Sunday's win at Sheffield United, with Klopp writing in his programme notes: 'It's been almost impossible to speak about in public, to be honest – just too hard. But maybe I can write it better.

'The world has experienced too much loss recently. We have other members of our club who have suffered it. In the city of Liverpool, throughout this country and around the globe, too many have had to deal with the agony of losing a person they love so much. Bereavement is too common just now.

'But for Ali, our wonderful, loving, soulful team-mate, this was truly tragic. No-one really has the words to explain what they feel in these moments. I know I'm not adequate.

'So instead I wish to tell Alisson how much this team and this club loves him and his family. The greatest tribute possible to Alisson's father is the person his son is and has become. He honours him every day with how he lives his life.

'We must all give Ali as much time as he needs and we must give him space in the appropriate moments also. Our supporters should know that he feels their love and their compassion.

'Ali has the strongest faith of anyone I've ever met, so he knows they will be together again to celebrate all the new special memories he creates from now on.

'I've used this phrase, or a version of it, many times previously: football can feel like the most important of the least important things in life. It feels appropriate again tonight.

'For Ali and all others who have suffered loss, this wonderful game of ours can still bring escape, energy and joy.'

Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones dedicated his goal against Sheffield United to Alisson, days after news of his father's death emerged.

'It's been a difficult time for me and the rest of the team,' Jones said. 'This goal is for Ali's dad, may he rest in peace. If Ali sees this, this is for you.'

Jones added: 'He's a strong lad, a big player for the team. He's not here today but we miss him for sure and I'd like to take this time to dedicate my goal to him, his dad and the rest of his family.'

Klopp echoed his midfielder's message, saying: 'It's a very nice touch from Curtis, of course, but it was clear it would be like this, that we'd try everything - not only for Ally but also for Ally of course.'

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Just reading the notes Jurgen has written for tonight's programme. Had me welling up.

Jurgen Klopp has paid a touching tribute to 'wonderful' Alisson following the tragic death of the goalkeeper's father in Brazil last week.

Jose Becker, 57, drowned in a lake near his holiday home in the south of the country on February 24, prompting an outpouring of sympathy for the Liverpool star.

And now Klopp, whose own mother sadly died in January, has told Alisson 'how much this team and this club loves him' in an emotional message.

The Brazilian is set to return to action against Chelsea tonight after missing Sunday's win at Sheffield United, with Klopp writing in his programme notes: 'It's been almost impossible to speak about in public, to be honest – just too hard. But maybe I can write it better.

'The world has experienced too much loss recently. We have other members of our club who have suffered it. In the city of Liverpool, throughout this country and around the globe, too many have had to deal with the agony of losing a person they love so much. Bereavement is too common just now.

'But for Ali, our wonderful, loving, soulful team-mate, this was truly tragic. No-one really has the words to explain what they feel in these moments. I know I'm not adequate.

'So instead I wish to tell Alisson how much this team and this club loves him and his family. The greatest tribute possible to Alisson's father is the person his son is and has become. He honours him every day with how he lives his life.

'We must all give Ali as much time as he needs and we must give him space in the appropriate moments also. Our supporters should know that he feels their love and their compassion.

'Ali has the strongest faith of anyone I've ever met, so he knows they will be together again to celebrate all the new special memories he creates from now on.

'I've used this phrase, or a version of it, many times previously: football can feel like the most important of the least important things in life. It feels appropriate again tonight.

'For Ali and all others who have suffered loss, this wonderful game of ours can still bring escape, energy and joy.'

Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones dedicated his goal against Sheffield United to Alisson, days after news of his father's death emerged.

'It's been a difficult time for me and the rest of the team,' Jones said. 'This goal is for Ali's dad, may he rest in peace. If Ali sees this, this is for you.'

Jones added: 'He's a strong lad, a big player for the team. He's not here today but we miss him for sure and I'd like to take this time to dedicate my goal to him, his dad and the rest of his family.'

Klopp echoed his midfielder's message, saying: 'It's a very nice touch from Curtis, of course, but it was clear it would be like this, that we'd try everything - not only for Ally but also for Ally of course.'

Sheer class 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...