You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

4 hours ago, moof said:

Chilavert for me, Clive. Ederson can come back when he scores a free kick from inside his own half 

One of the enduring memories of my childhood was getting to see him play in the Copa America, must have been about 1997 or so.

It was a dull game, against like Ecuador or Uruguay or someone, played in Bolivia in Cochabamba where I was living with my parents at the time. Not much going on, there had only been about 4 shots all game midway through the second half.

Some of the Paraguayans, in an effort to liven up the atmosphere, started chanting "Chilavert, Chilavert!" The great man, known to be a bit full of himself, started doing a fancy warmup (the ball was way down at the other end of the pitch). At one point he turned around to the fans, who were behind the goal, to acknowledge their chant. He was waving at them, soaking it in. 

Meanwhile the opposition stole the ball and came forward on a quick counter. He was totally unprepared, almost slipped when he turned around to see what was happening and panicked. He got back in goal in time to deal with it, but it was a close-run thing. Pretty funny to watch.

6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

One of the enduring memories of my childhood was getting to see him play in the Copa America, must have been about 1997 or so.

It was a dull game, against like Ecuador or Uruguay or someone, played in Bolivia in Cochabamba where I was living with my parents at the time. Not much going on, there had only been about 4 shots all game midway through the second half.

Some of the Paraguayans, in an effort to liven up the atmosphere, started chanting "Chilavert, Chilavert!" The great man, known to be a bit full of himself, started doing a fancy warmup (the ball was way down at the other end of the pitch). At one point he turned around to the fans, who were behind the goal, to acknowledge their chant. He was waving at them, soaking it in. 

Meanwhile the opposition stole the ball and came forward on a quick counter. He was totally unprepared, almost slipped when he turned around to see what was happening and panicked. He got back in goal in time to deal with it, but it was a close-run thing. Pretty funny to watch.

That is boss, mate. What a character he was. Sadly, didn’t get to see enough of him during his career, but he was always a perfect representative of the best aspects of football. Fun, flamboyant, dramatic, and above all just possessed wonderful ability 

15 hours ago, Grinch said:

Was he even a good goalkeeper?   Played for the biggest collection of shite and largely known for his free kick record. 

I'd say quite a few on here, seen him at one world Cup and next to fuck all else. 

I'd say you have a fair point. He played in Spain and France but not at particularly big clubs,Zaragoza and Nantes I think?

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Is it just me or has he not been anywhere near as good as he was last season?

Our defending has largely been mediocre this season. Giving up more chances than last season. He's still saving what he should be expected to save, been good with his feet and playing sweeper. And he had a semi-serious injury. 

The red card today is a function of us still playing a high line 2-0 up which was crazy. That means he needed to come for every ball still, when there's absolutely no way he should have been in that situation in the first place with our lead. If we were not in that stupid high line, he could have stayed back. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Lovren needed to drop a yard, or better still we should be using VVD as the last man when we don't have to chase a game. Alisson is fine, just need to keep a clean sheet to save my fucking blood pressure from turning into a problem, Klopp and the players want it too, but as long as we keep on winning then it won't be something which will be playing on their minds. 

43 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

He’s been very good this season. Last season he was consistently world class.

Also having a good reputation helps once you’ve earned it. Imagine if Mignolet had let in the goals Alisson and Oblak did in midweek. People, including myself, would’ve been absolutely fuming.

17 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I can definitely see that argument, but I disagree.

We've been oddly profligate defensively, and I think Alisson has bailed us out repeatedly this year.

Not with as spectacular situations as we saw with Napoli at home save, but more of the Hazard at home variety, where he's able to turn a goal into he should have saved to a display of his ability to read it and narrow the angle, by his extraordinary authority and awareness. 

For me, mate, chances that would develop under Mignolet, or Karius, get sniffed out before they get the chance to materialise.

Whatever one can see about the atmosphere around Anfield, be it too expensive, too touristy, or what have you - the stadium knows a world class keeper when they see once, and I do think we've got a few wins just by his anticipation and the crowds complete confidence in the best goalie in football.

• Upvote 1