You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

Just realised what could be the reason for signing him to a 6-year deal instead of 4 or 5 as is normal for most players.

I'd be willing to bet that it's to do with our accounting. If we were really, really confident that he's a great player and the risk he comes here and flops (or gets injured) is low, then one way to make the numbers work if Roma were being sticklers for a price higher than we wanted to pay is to stretch them across a longer period.

On a team's books a player is never measured by what the fee was, but by what they cost/year of their contract (or how the fee is amortised). So if he cost £66m, that's £11m/year across the 6 years of his deal. Add to that his wages (presumably something like £7.5m/year?) and you have a total player cost of £18.5m/season. Which is expensive but keeps him under £20m/season which is about the max we could probably possibly do (van Dijk is over that but not by much, and no-one else is close).

If it had been 5 years that amortisation cost goes from £11m/year to £13.2m/year, which is a big jump and puts total player cost at £20.7m/season. I'd bet that when Roma wouldn't fudge on the price we thought to ourselves "Hm, goalkeepers aren't injured that often, I wonder if he'd do 6 years?" and then approached his agent to see if we couldn't make that work.

Makes sense.

Better than my theory of us being worried that he'll be incredible, so if Madrid come knocking in a couple of years we'll get a bit extra money because of the longer contract.

Listen, anyone who’s doubting whether Alisson is going to anything other than a fuckin first class keeper needs their head testing.

Read an article from Roma goalie coach who said Alisson was the ‘Messi’ of goalkeepers and would redefine the position.

Just hope Achterberg doesn't turn him from the Messi to the Paul Konchesky of keepers.

In all honesty I think Alisson will teach Achterberg how to coach better as he won't stand any nonsense.

In all honesty I think Alisson will teach Achterberg how to coach better as he won't stand any nonsense.

is it possible he'll possibly bring a coach with him?

I think i read recently that both de Gea and Navas brought their coaches with them when they signed for Utd and Madrid respectively. 

Im nearly sure i read that.