You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

I really do think its needed for the South American players.

Most of them do seem to want a community for their families away from football(don't blame them) anything that makes them feel at home is welcome.

Same with the club making the effort with the prayers rooms etc for the Islamic players.

Man City have probably indirectly done us a favour here too with them only being up the road and having a load of Brazilians themselves, makes the sunny North West seem like a better destination for them than London.

Plus I like to imagine our Bobby does his bit during internationals, Phil might do aswell, and Lucas deffo bigs us up to anyone who'll listen.

Of we get him and don't sign anyone else then we have massively improved. A full season from Van dijk is half a signing for next season too. Get him in get him leaning and get us ready. Not sure we even need Fekir.

Think we could do with Fekir still myself.

He can cover Bobby or play in Coutinho role. 

Chamberlain looks unlikely to play all season.

Could push Keita into the more advanced role but a top notch attacking mid would not go amiss

Think we could do with Fekir still myself.

He can cover Bobby or play in Coutinho role.

Chamberlain looks unlikely to play all season.

Could push Keita into the more advanced role but a top notch attacking mid would not go amiss

Yeah agree, a top notch option for the front 3 or attacking midfielder to play with them.

If we do get Fekir though we'd be set up to have a go at winning everything and pretty much not need to sign another player for 3 or 4 years.

Imagine how badly that would break the website if it did happen.

• Upvote 1

My daddy left home when I was three 

And he didn't leave much to ma and me 

Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze. 

Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid 

But the meanest thing that he ever did 

Was before he left, he went and named me "Alisson"

• Upvote 2

The only thing I'd say could be looked at as a worry is how often he parries the ball out. Not seen him caught by it and de Gea does it too. Dont think he is going to be one to come to claim the ball much either. Going to be up to VVD to keep the back 4 from dropping to deep

• Upvote 1

The only thing I'd say could be looked at as a worry is how often he parries the ball out. Not seen him caught by it and de Gea does it too. Dont think he is going to be one to come to claim the ball much either. Going to be up to VVD to keep the back 4 from dropping to deep

For me, it looks a an issue when you compile very quick reaction saves into one video. For me, there’s no real expectation to save shots at point blank range, so when they do, parrying it back is no big issue. At the moment we aren’t worrying too much about it because they’re in the net. When you take them out of a compilation, it looks less of an issue.

From the youtube videos you'd be silly to say he looks like the best keeper on the planet. 

Dont get me wrong, he looks very very good, but with the price we're paying, you'd think he's the best.

The problem is our weakness in that position is so glaringly obvious, that whoever we looked at had a "Karius tax" on him, so their price tag was bound to be a good few million more.

Im delighted with the deal though. Klopp again proving how ruthless he is, and also how stubborn he is. If he wants a particular player, THEN HE WANTS THAT PLAYERS!!!

Looking forward to a good lean to

From the youtube videos you'd be silly to say he looks like the best keeper on the planet. 

Dont get me wrong, he looks very very good, but with the price we're paying, you'd think he's the best.

I've seen this a few places now and I have to admit I don't understand it.

The best keeper in the world is probably De Gea, right? How much do you think the Mancs would want for him? I'd say at least £120m if you wanted to buy him this summer. Young (for a GK), long-term deal, no reason to sell - he'd be incredibly expensive.

So no, I don't think Alisson is as good as De Gea. Or Oblak, but he'd cost £90m (and even then that's only because he has a release clause, without it he'd probably be even more). Ter Stegen is arguably a level above Alisson as well but he's unattainable because he wouldn't leave Barca. If he did, I'd reckon it'd be £100m at least to get him anyway. The other "best goalkeepers in the world" (Neuer, Handanovic, Navas, etc) are all much older and we probably wouldn't be interested in a short-term solution.

So while we've just signed "the most expensive goalkeeper in the world" that's only because none of these players have moved since the Neymar deal totally changed transfer prices. And even today, he might have cost the most due to the timing of the move but he's nowhere near the most valuable.

Truth is, Alisson is going to cost us about half of what the most expensive goalkeeper in the world would cost. Which is pretty much what he's worth - and if he can keep up last season's form where he saved Roma ~11 points over what they'd have earned with a statistically average goalkeeper, he'll be worth over £100m in no time.

• Upvote 2

I've seen this a few places now and I have to admit I don't understand it.

The best keeper in the world is probably De Gea, right? How much do you think the Mancs would want for him? I'd say at least £120m if you wanted to buy him this summer. Young (for a GK), long-term deal, no reason to sell - he'd be incredibly expensive.

So no, I don't think Alisson is as good as De Gea. Or Oblak, but he'd cost £90m (and even then that's only because he has a release clause, without it he'd probably be even more). Ter Stegen is arguably a level above Alisson as well but he's unattainable because he wouldn't leave Barca. If he did, I'd reckon it'd be £100m at least to get him anyway. The other "best goalkeepers in the world" (Neuer, Handanovic, Navas, etc) are all much older and we probably wouldn't be interested in a short-term solution.

So while we've just signed "the most expensive goalkeeper in the world" that's only because none of these players have moved since the Neymar deal totally changed transfer prices. And even today, he might have cost the most due to the timing of the move but he's nowhere near the most valuable.

Truth is, Alisson is going to cost us about half of what the most expensive goalkeeper in the world would cost. Which is pretty much what he's worth - and if he can keep up last season's form where he saved Roma ~11 points over what they'd have earned with a statistically average goalkeeper, he'll be worth over £100m in no time.

Very fair points.

I'm not slating the dude, but don't for one minute think he won't be judged as the most expensive goalkeeper ever. Because providing there isn't any hitches, then that's what he is.

Someone on here posted up an article about goalkeepers performance stats last season. And I think the difference with Allison and oblak was the distribution. Oblak only has a 40% success rate with his kick outs, while Allison is over 80% success.

It's such a massive upgrade though. If this guy saves, as you said, 11 points. Couple that with a full season of big Virgil, then, without sounding fictitious, we really should be in with a shout for the league.

Going to be weird having a quality keeper for the first time since Reina lost interest.   The fee and hype should mean the fans don't turn on him in pre season like they did with Karius too.

Going to be weird people on here not being able to moan we haven't bought anyone decent!