You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jul 7-13 2018)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Jul 7… 

Chester 0 L 7. The World Cup can fuck off now, it’s served its purpose of filling the gap until the Reds are back, but now they are back I just want that shit over and the rest of our lads back home. Who needs that shite when you’ve got Harry Wilson showing this kind of composure, Sturridge looking like his 2014 self, Curtis Jones dazzling and Naby doing his thing. Not even Origi being Origi could spoil my enjoyment of this. Him and Solanke were fucking woeful, but everyone else looked good. 

Did you see the fuss made over Karius chucking one in during the warm up though? Some eagle eyed fan noticed it in the the background when Mellor and Warnock were pitch side previewing the game. This is exactly why he can’t be number one. Not because he let one through his hands in a warm up, but because it is seen as being a thing. 

Just think about the absurdity of this. He let a goal in during a kick about with Achteburg in a pre-season game, and it went viral on twitter (well over a million views) with fans ripping into him. Honestly, there is not another goalkeeper at any other club in the world that would have to endure this. I’m not even saying it’s wrong as it’s a perfectly natural reaction. I’m just highlighting it as the reason why he can’t be first choice. The scrutiny and pressure is just far too much for him to handle, particularly as he’s not that great to begin with. It’s a circus and he’s the clown. 

Sunday Jul 8… 

Most bizarre story in a while. We’re giving a new five year contract to that Awoniyi kid who keeps getting loaned out because he can’t get a work permit. That’s not the bizarre bit. He’s meant to be joining Monaco on loan for this season. That’s not even the bizarre bit either.

The bizarre bit is Barca and Inter were supposedly trying to lure him away. What am I missing here? He’s 20 and he’s had loan spells with mediocre teams and he’s not really done much. Why would these teams want him? I guess we’ll find out soon enough if he goes to Monaco, as other than Ajax no-one brings talent through like they do. 

Some talk today that we’ve turned our attention back to Brandt after giving up on Fekir. We wanted him last year and had to settle for Salah. A year earlier we wanted Gotze and had to settle for Mané. So maybe I need to get over this Fekir thing because we tend to do alright with our second choice options don’t we? I’ve seen very little of Brandt, but he was dynamite every time he came off the bench in the World Cup. Made things happen, had two good feet, pace, skill, power, I could easily get on board with this. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

The Conte/Chelsea thing is interesting. Years ago they wouldn’t have batted an eyelid about just paying him to leave. I think he only had a year left as well. Letting it drag on has surely had impact on their preparations for the season. It’s just another sign that they aren’t what they were. Even if Abramovich still sees himself staying there, he clearly doesn’t fancy just senselessly blowing money like they did in his first 10 years there.

If things go like they normally do there then I expect the guy they hire after they’ve had a successful manager but it’s gone tits up will be sacked before the end of the season. There’s a lot of talk about Hazard going but I just can’t see it. If he goes they will not be able to replace him.