You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Forever the legend - Sir Roger Hunt.

The man will always be a legend. Still look spritly for 80 years of age.

Roger Hunt has been going to the same barbers in Hale for 20 years and had a special trim early last week to look tip-top for Sunday's World Cup Final in Moscow. The FA had invited England's 1966 heroes if Gareth Southgate's team were involved.

Instead, Wednesday night's semi-final defeat against Croatia forced a change of plan. Hunt and his second wife Rowan will visit a close friend, former Newcastle United player Tony Green, at his home near Blackpool and watch the game there.

'It's a great shame England didn't make it. We were going to be flown out on the morning of the match, It would have been my first visit to Russia and I was looking forward it,' says Hunt, as modest and understated approaching his 80th birthday as he was partnering Geoff Hurst in the famous 4-2 win against West Germany at Wembley.

4E41C39700000578-5954877-image-a-87_1531

It has been 52 years since Roger Hunt helped England to their only ever World Cup win

'People ask the '66 team if we would have minded England winning the World Cup again. My answer is 'not at All'. What we did was very special but it's 52 years ago and it's time the country should have a chance to celebrate again.

'I didn't think England had much chance before the tournament began but they played very well. They surprised a lot of people and I would have welcomed Harry Kane lifting the trophy like Bobby Moore did.'

Hunt was one of the first names on Alf Ramsey's team sheet in the glorious summer of 1966 having just won the First Division championship at Liverpool under Bill Shankly.

The competition to be up front alongside him was fierce however. Spurs superstar Jimmy Greaves started the tournament but couldn't win his place back after he got injured and Hurst proved a successful replacement, culminating in his hat-trick in the final.

4E41C3E000000578-5954877-image-a-88_1531

The former England striker sits among large pictures depicting his successful football career

4E41FDB900000578-5954877-Hunt-a-105_1531

Hunt (rear) smiles as he, Jackie Charlton and Alan Ball celebrate England's 1966 World Cup win

Interestingly, Hunt can see similarities between the way Ramsey and Southgate have been able to take big decisions.

'Alf was a great manager. Rather than criticise you in front of others, he'd beckon you over for a private chat. Sometimes you'd think: "Oh no, what have I done!"

'The whole squad respected him so much we stuck together whatever he decided. I stayed good friends with Jimmy and Geoff, we all got along.'

'Gareth has made tough choices. He left out Wayne Rooney and Joe Hart without affecting the spirit in the camp. I met Gareth at St George's Park for the 50th anniversary of our World Cup win and he was very nice. A genuine person.'

The special bond between the Boys of '66 has lasted into its sixth decade. The recent funeral of full-back Ray Wilson, the third member of the team to pass away, was attended by Sir Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Gordon Banks and Hunt.

4E41FA4500000578-5954877-image-a-99_1531

Hunt scores a goal for England against France in the group stages of the 1966 tournament

4E41F78900000578-5954877-image-a-97_1531

The England legend holds the famous World Cup trophy in his arms once again

'We have always stayed in touch,' says Hunt. 'Ray used to come to ours if there was a function in London and we'd drive down together with our wives. We had some great times. He was a joker with some effing and blinding for effect!'

Inevitably, the passage of time is catching up. Bobby Moore, Alan Ball and Wilson are no longer with us while Nobby Stiles and Martin Peters both suffer from dementia.

If Hunt, physically robust enough to play golf regularly with his brother Peter, stumbles over a name in conversation, Rowan is there to help.

Watching this World Cup has been like reliving his youth. 'I've tried to see every game, not just England,' he says.

4E41C3A600000578-5954877-image-a-89_1531

He is pictured with Sir Alex Ferguson and former team-mate Sir Bobby Charlton (right)

'I'm invited out to watch matches but I'm happiest at home so I can concentrate on the football. In a crowd, people like to ask me what I think of the match while it's going on so I can't watch it as closely.

'England have played well and I've got a special soft spot for Jesse Lingard who is a Warrington lad like myself.

'I knew about Jesse even before he played for England. Bobby (Sir Bobby Charlton) invites me to games at Old Trafford and saw him there.'

Hunt still lives in Warrington close to where he grew up. His career started with the local non-league side Stockton Heath Albion (now Warrington Town) before joining Liverpool

'I'd done national service so I got into football late,' he explains. 'Swindon offered me more money than Liverpool but my manager thought I was a home bird and advised I stay in the north-west.'

4E41C3C100000578-5954877-image-a-95_1531

Hunt has been reliving his youth and tried to watch as many World Cup games this summer

It was sound advice. Hunt became Liverpool's record goalscorer and a mainstay of Shankly's legendary team. 'Shanks took over in 1959 and he came to my house to tell me I was a big part of his plans. It was a wonderful gesture.

'Mind you, as a Scot I'm not sure he was too thrilled about England winning the World Cup. I got only two weeks off before pre-season training. On my first day back, Shanks gave me a quick "Well done" and then added: "Right, we've got important work to do!"

Hunt turns 80 next week and there is some regret he'll reach the milestone still part of the only England team to win the World Cup. He'd have hoped to be sharing the glory by now.

'It looked good when we scored that early goal against Croatia but they grew stronger after that,' he says.

'Ben (his wife's 10-year-old grandson) was on the phone after crying because he wanted England to win the World Cup. We had a little chat and at the end he said "Well, at least I've got a grand-dad who has won it."

'That cheered me up a bit but deep down, I would love to see England win it again. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Looking great and still talking sense ( I'll blame his age for the Lingaard bit ).

I have been spoilt with club legends over the years but ' first love ' and all that.

I was devasted when Sir Rog said he was not up to playing for Liverpool any more. Seemed like the end of an era was dawning which I guess it was.

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...