You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

8 hours ago, The Guest said:

Peter Walton talking raw nonsense.  It took two former mancs to actually tell him it wasn’t a pen.  The rules could so easily be changed to make it clear as well.

If the ball is clearly heading into the net and it hits a player’s hand accidental or not then it’s a penalty.  The ball striking players hands innocuously does not really warrant such as harsh a punishment as a penalty.  If a player sticks his arms out to block a cross or shot then fair enough but it should be clear and not in cases like we seen tonight.

Peter Walton was chatting shite. Which shows how bad refs are. He said that the decision was correct according to the way the rule is currently written. Here's the law for handball:-

Handling the ball

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm. The following must be considered:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

"the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence"

So he is talking through his arse. All the footballing people in the room disagreed with him - even Rio. Shit like that perpetuates bad decisions and bad referees.

The rule may change next season - but the current rule should be enforced.

15 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Just the six main articles on the BBC football page this morning about the greatest result in the history of football, the beeb are slacking.

First I will give them Manc cunts credit for going through, 

But surely to god nobody actually believed that was ever a penalty at the end? 

All these articles and not a single mention of the "penalty" at all. 

It's baffling 

6 hours ago, Red House said:

And, for the record, this will be the new handball 'rule' ...

"Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental."

It's just a piece of wording that has taken a panel of blaggers a week to come up with, in order to allow a ref to make any decision they want and it be considered correct in some way.

7 hours ago, Red House said:

But, the referee having to go to the monitor always occurs after interference from the video assistants anyway. So, if anything, it interferes even further with the flow of the game than if they simply had the video assistants make the call themselves. I can see plenty of advantages in video assistant referees making the final call on reviewed decisions, can barely see any in the match ref doing so.

I agree with how No2 put it; the referee on the pitch must be the one making the decisions, whether we agree with them or not.

You call it interference, I call it assistance. He obviously didn’t see the incident properly so he used to replay to take a look.

If a referee misses something and then after the game says “oh, i’d have given a pen for that”, then it can’t be a good thing for me.

7 hours ago, skaro said:

Mine's not ire.  

I'm more confused as to whether 3 minutes of video deliberation over a handball query - only to arrive at a "decision" which is still eminently disputable - is helpful to an important game of sport or not.

A bloke takes what is a clear dive on a video replay in a World Cup Final, gets a free kick and his team scores from it.

Video shows a bloke deliberately elbowing a goalkeeper to the head in a European Cup Final, and he doesn't even get a sanction after the match.

It's more confusion and perhaps contradiction than ire for me.

You won’t get me disagreeing with inconsistencies mate, it’s incredibly frustrating. VAR isn’t there to solve everything though, it’s just there to give the ref assistance when he misses something.

It won’t end controversy as the referee will still ultimately be making judgement calls, but at least there’s some integrity there, i.e. they got to see an incident and make a decision rather than just completely miss it.

7 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

It's probably because you haven't watched matches with VAR with your eyes closed.  There have been loads of worse decisions made under VAR, both at the World Cup and in the Champions League, than made without VAR.

It basically has been proven to do the opposite of what it's intended purpose is, whilst ruining the flow of the game. 

There is not a single thing that is positive about it.

I couldn’t disagree more with this. There are still plenty of controversial decisions with VAR but there are also loads of clear mistakes rectified as well, which is an improvement over controversy plus howlers. I don’t understand how people can’t see that.

24 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

A horrible thought has just entered my head. 

Utd might win the champions league and we could win fuck all. 

Jaysus, just imagine that 

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

We could win the league and CL, imagine that instead

And herein lie the possibilities fuelling my increased Bordeaux intake.

I loved that Neymar came out and said it was a disgrace, as the ball hit his back and not the arm for the pen. This cunt is the worst embodiment of what’s shite about the modern game. The video replay clearly shows it hits his arm. Whether a pen or not, this cheating cunt lies and cheats, even with facts in front of him. I despise him and his kind - pogba, griezmann, Ronaldo, Ramos, most Real Madrid and Barcelona players - walking, talking brands and self promotion tools. This is what’s ruined football. And the cunts who’ve gobbled it up. Twats

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

First I will give them Manc cunts credit for going through, 

But surely to god nobody actually believed that was ever a penalty at the end? 

All these articles and not a single mention of the "penalty" at all. 

It's baffling 

It really isn't is it.

It's those fucking rats.

It really will come down to the ref on the night though, the way it's going. No way does Ramos suffer any punishment for either cardable offence in the final last year. That useless cunt decided that Madrid only committed 5 fouls in an entire match. Ok. 

I've seen loads of reds creaming themselves over last night result. Posts on twatter and fuckbook galore praising them. I did what any person with absolutely no self respect does and called these reds out, got told as a footy fan they appreciate a good result. Yes so do I but I'm not creaming about it ffs. If those Manc bastards were playing a Martian 11 and the future of the earth depended on a Manc win I still wouldn't want them to win, and if they did win I still wouldn't congratulate the cunts. As a Liverpool fan but more so as a scouser, I don't want the scum to win a fucking throw in. I'm happy PSG went out, that's about it.

• Upvote 3