You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 minutes ago, Red House said:

Irrespective of today's decision, I still have no idea why the fuck the match referee has to go review the decision on the monitor instead of the VAR refs making the call themselves. First, it would save a considerable amount of time, which is the main criticism aimed at VAR. Secondly, how can you expect someone who's been running all over the pitch to have enough lucidity to make a better call in the 90th minute than the blokes who have just been sitting monitoring their monitor all game. And, third, there are more than one of them, which should increase the likelihood of getting it right. Just cut the drama and have the VAR refs make all the review calls, or am I missing something obvious here?

The ref is the one that ultimately has to make the decision, unless it's an obvious offside. 

I haven't been arsed about the champions league this season, its all been about the league. After tonight and tomorrow I'm back on board, beat Bayern and I reckon we're favourites.

Enjoyed the tears from Paris tonight, shower of cunts.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Exactly - the tournament is there to be won.

If anything I'd have City next

Porto or Spurs are the ones we would want. Ajax look like a very good young side who could easily ruffle a few more feathers. Porto are shite as we saw last year and Spurs would not be able to handle the pressure of potentially going to the semis of the CL.

Two no-look, slightly stray elbows make contact. One is deemed a foul after video assistance, the other is not. 

Who honestly thinks that was more deliberate than the Ramos elbow to Karius' head? 

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

I haven't been arsed about the champions league this season, its all been about the league. After tonight and tomorrow I'm back on board, beat Bayern and I reckon we're favourites.

Enjoyed the tears from Paris tonight, shower of cunts.

Champions League > Premier League

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

You just know they will keep on getting spawny wins until they play City and then they will lose.

Why is it that - with 70 points in the League and a place in the last 8 of the European Cup still up for grabs - a night like tonight can make me feel unimaginably miserable?

Fuck I hate United.  My bitterness almost makes me feel "Evertonian".

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

The ref is the one that ultimately has to make the decision, unless it's an obvious offside. 

Well, that's not really true though, is it? Ajax goal yesterday being a point in case. The VAR refs were clearly unsure as to whether the ball had crossed the line or not, but they still made the call instead of going to the match referee, so it's not just offside calls. But in any case, it still does not answer the question as to why it is the match referee who has to make the ultimate call for reviewed decisions even though the video-assistants are in a much better position to do so (for reasons I mentioned above). I still can't think of any logical explanation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Red House said:

Well, that's not really true though, is it? Ajax goal yesterday being a point in case. The VAR refs were clearly unsure as to whether the ball had crossed the line or not, but they still made the call instead of going to the match referee, so it's not just offside calls. But in any case, it still does not answer the question as to why it is the match referee who has to make the ultimate call for reviewed decisions even though the video-assistants are in a much better position to do so (for reasons I mentioned above). I still can't think of any logical explanation. 

For the most part, it's pretty effective in cricket. 

35 minutes ago, niallers said:

Better squad? Are you suffering from some form of illness mate? Their keeper, pogba, rash and Lukaku are the only ones getting anywhere near our squad and they'd all be subs bar pogba. 

Give your head a wobble.

You have to remember we've had the benefit of having a style of play for 4 years which has elevated the level of most of our players. The opposite has been true for them, but generally they have loads of talented and expensive players. 

8 minutes ago, Red House said:

The throw in decision is black or white. The ref isn't needed there, where he is needed is when a law needs interpreting. 

I hate saying it and they were unbelievably lucky tonight - but if we put a side out there with as many changes tonight as they did/be missing as many starters there is no way we'd have won.

Not sure if that reflects squad depth for them or a lack of it for us.

Our first 11 cunts them in the bastard and dead hard...but after that it is a different story.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

For PSG, the Buffon signing looks absolutely comical now. I mean what were they thinking getting a 40 year old keeper and playing him in the biggest games? Ridiculous decision. 

Yeah.

He is fine standing watching them beat the shite they are miles better than every week and even if he has something to do and fucks up they'll win anyway...but at top level v good teams he's a liability.

Handball definitely seems to be the area of most controversy with VAR. The rule needs clarifying because different referees are interpreting it in different ways.

It’s supposed to be that the offence must be deliberate but apparently refs have briefed clubs that they’ll give it if a player makes himself bigger to gain an advantage. The problem with that is the fact that a player can make himself bigger yet not deiberately handle the ball, so it’s fundamentally contradictory.

I’d prefer that incident to not be a pen because Utd gained no advantage from it (the shot was going over). Having watched it back a few times (and not live, without raw emotion etc) I can see why the ref gave it (with the context of referee confusion of the rule).

The player was instantly worried too as he looked at the ref and then gesticulated.

I just don’t understand why the defender was turning his back on the shot either, that’s poor defending for me.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

The throw in decision is black or white. The ref isn't needed there, where he is needed is when a law needs interpreting. 

The throw in example was just in reference to the claim that only offside calls are not referred to the match referee. But, my main point is why is the match referee expected to deliver a 'more accurate interpretation of the law' (for lack of a better term) than the video assistant referees, taking into consideration that, unlike the match ref, (i) the latter do not have to face the pressure of the crowd, players and staff when reviewing the replays, (ii) they should be more lucid as they have not been sprinting all over the pitch and (iii) there are more than one of them and can even afford to take a vote in need to.

I am not really asking about the situations in which the match referee can be called upon to the make the call. I've got that down. What I am curious about is what benefit is there to be gained from him having to make the call instead of the video assistants?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Red House said:

The throw in example was just in reference to the claim that only offside calls are not referred to the match referee. But, my main point is why is the match referee expected to deliver a 'more accurate interpretation of the law' (for lack of a better term) than the video assistant referees, taking into consideration that, unlike the match ref, (i) the latter do not have to face the pressure of the crowd, players and staff when reviewing the replays, (ii) they should be more lucid as they have not been sprinting all over the pitch and (iii) there are more than one of them and can even afford to take a vote in need to.

I am not really asking about the situations in which the match referee can be called upon to the make the call. I've got that down. What I am curious about is what benefit is there to be gained from him having to make the call instead of the video assistants?

Because where possible they want it to be the referee on the pitch who calls the game? I’d say a lack of interference is a good thing overall, in terms of direct decision making anyway.

Credit to the Mancs. That's a serious result for them and even though they got lucky with the peno, they showed bottle. I did enjoy psg players crying the horrible dickheads.

I think United will be desperate to make a statement against City in the league that they are really back and win a psychological battle for next season. That's why i think they will really go at them I feel. Ideally they play in the Champions League to get the bad blood boiling for the league clash.

I don't know if Ole will be good for them long term but he has done a fantastic job with them.

41 minutes ago, A_S said:

For the most part, it's pretty effective in cricket. 

Wasn't the premise of video reviews in cricket to eliminate clear errors?

The vexed and even ethical (in a sporting sense) question about technology now, for me, is that it is being used to influence interpretation rather than simply to clarify.

Watching things in slow motion again and again to merely arrive at another interpretation - in other words, something still open to question - seems, well, very questionable to me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, etho said:

So this United team that won 3-1 away is the same one we were bottling it against by only drawing with 0-0 away? 

Sounds like we're a pretty fucking good team to me

Yeah exactly. The narrative that a draw there is a bad result is bullshit. I was happy with it.

• Like 1