You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Video won’t open for me. Repped for constantly banging this kid’s drum though. 

Yeah, the official Ligue 1 Youtube channel doesn't let other sites play their videos. Basically, he dribbles around for like 20 seconds, beats 3 players, gives it, runs into the box, gets it back and finishes. Ben Arfa at his best.

And they say we are lucky..

City's fixtures...

To reach League Cup final: Oxford, Fulham, Leicester, Burton.

To reach FA Cup final: Rotherham, Newport, Swansea, Brighton. 

To reach CL quarter-final: Lyon (3rd in France), Hoffenheim (7th in Germany), Shakhtar (1st in Ukraine), Schalke (14th in Germany).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Raheem Sterling saying he'd never heard racism until he moved to Liverpool.

He can fuck off with that shit! I'm more than well aware we've more than our fair share of racist gobshites on Merseyside, but you can't tell me that a black kid brought up in London in the late 90's to early 2000's knew fuck all about racism! I'm sure he'll have been taught all about Stephen Lawrence!

Your colour has nothing to do with us not liking you Raheem, you and your agent acting the cunt on the other hand.....

• Upvote 2

Article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/08/raheem-sterling-encourages-footballers-speak-suffer-racist-abuse/

Raheem Sterling: I would rather stay on the pitch and hurt the racists even more 

Save
Manchester City's English midfielder Raheem Sterling (L) and Manchester City's French defender Benjamin Mendy (R) take part in a team training session at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in north London, on April 8, 2019 on the eve of their UEFA Champions League quarter final first leg football match against Tottenham Hotspur. Raheem Sterling (L) gears up for Tuesday night's Champions League quarter-final between Manchester City and Tottenham Credit: AFP

8 April 2019 • 5:43pm

Raheem Sterling has encouraged more footballers to speak out if they suffer racist abuse but said that he would not personally be in favour of them walking off the pitch in protest.

The Manchester City forward also spoke of how he was brought up to “love my skin” and added: “I know I am black and I’m proud.”

Sterling, 24, has become a key figure in the heightened debate over how racism is handled in football and also the discriminatory perception of black people in the media and in society.

He posted on Instagram last December after allegedly being abused away to Chelsea and also cupped his ear to the Montenegro fans who aimed racist taunts towards his England team-mate Danny Rose during the recent European Championships qualifier in Podgorica.

Sterling insisted that he was not “trying to make a difference” but, again, spoke eloquently and strongly about the subject ahead of the first leg of City’s Champions League quarter-final away to Rose’s Tottenham Hotspur.

Sterling was named Sportsman of the Year at the British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards and called on Uefa to issue a stadium ban to Montenegro – and warned it could also happen in the Premier League – but said it was never his intention to become a spokesman.

"I don't think I'm trying to make a difference, as I said it's about speaking [about] what you've experienced and some people probably shied away from that but I'm a person when I do feel that something's not quite right I want to speak about it… If more players speak out then the better it will be,” Sterling said.

There has been a rise in the number of reports of racist abuse with several more over the weekend, leading to two arrests, after insults directed at Wigan Athletic’s Nathan Byrne and Derby County’s Duane Holmes.

How racism is dealt with in football is under debate with one suggestion being that players and managers should take the matter in their own hands and walk off, abandoning the game if an incident occurs. However Sterling argued against this as other players, such as Watford captain Troy Deeney in these pages last Saturday, have also done so.

“I think everyone’s entitled to their own opinion,” Sterling said. “I wouldn’t personally agree with it. At the end of the day, I would rather go and win the game because that would hurt them (the racists) even more. They’re trying to get you down, if you do walk off the pitch as a group then that makes them win. If you score a goal to win the match, then that’s an even better feeling which beats them.”

During his childhood in London Sterling said he did not suffer racist abuse but said that changed when he joined Liverpool at the age of 15 from Queen’s Park Rangers. “To be fair in London I didn’t (hear any racism),” Sterling said. “It was mainly when I went up north to Liverpool. That was the first time that I encountered racism.

“Growing up my mum has always told me that I’m a wonderful black child. I know this. When I hear it (the abuse), it’s not nothing new to me. I know I’m black and I’m proud. I’m confident with my body. If you let it get to you… as I say some people can’t take it but as I say, growing up I was always told to love myself and who I am.”

Sterling is aware of Rose’s comments last week – that he cannot wait to retire from football because he has become sickened by the abuse – and said: “I’ve heard stories of his past - I don’t want to go into too much detail - youth teams and stuff like that so I think it’s something he’s come across quite a number of times and it probably is getting a bit much for him. I respect his comments and it’s a shame to hear that, really.”

Sterling will continue to speak out and encouraged other players to do so – with Tottenham forward Heung-Min Son, who he will face on Tuesday evening, revealing that he has also been targeted. “We are talking about it a few times – I have been a victim of racism as well, and I think the best reaction is not to react,” the Korean said. “We are all playing football as human beings and it doesn't matter which country you come from. We all playing the same game and we should protect the players who suffer, and fight it together.”

Sterling, who called for better “education”, himself added: “I can only speak up about events that happen to me and the people around me and that’s as much as I can do to raise awareness, I’m not trying to be someone that leads or something like that. I can just raise awareness and it’s for people in higher places to do their job.”

Pep Guardiola said that Sterling “handles well” the increased focus on him and added of racism: “It’s always difficult to understand in the 21st century we are debating this kind of situation,” the City manager said. “All I can say is that what Danny Rose has done is ‘well done’. We have to fight every day to eradicate it (racism) and make a better society. I try to be correct. We try to be correct. Making a lot of mistakes but not because of the colour of my skin.”

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Raheem Sterling saying he'd never heard racism until he moved to Liverpool.

46 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

He can fuck off with that shit! I'm more than well aware we've more than our fair share of racist gobshites on Merseyside, but you can't tell me that a black kid brought up in London in the late 90's to early 2000's knew fuck all about racism! I'm sure he'll have been taught all about Stephen Lawrence!

Your colour has nothing to do with us not liking you Raheem, you and your agent acting the cunt on the other hand.....

I'd be very surprised if he's talking about Liverpool fans.

I'd be significantly less surprised if he's talking about the Bitters.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

The first time he ever noticed racism was a few years ago - at aged 20 - when leaving LFC?? 

I think that's what he's referring to. Either that or racist abuse from the stands at Goodison.

I was surprised by his comments at first, but on reflection I don’t find it all that difficult to believe, actually. I think as a kid you’re often somewhat insulated from it, especially in your home environment. As a 15/16 year old lad moving up to Liverpool, I have no doubts he would’ve experienced some horrible shit from a bunch of meffs. 

• Upvote 3