You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's always been bizarre that he's often been given defensive responsibility throughout most of his career. I've been saying it for a while, he's a #10 (credit to me). You gotta give him a free role in most games. Not against the best of the best, but in most games.  

Like he did for France this summer, he can do a decent job for the team recycling the ball deeper in midfield, but when you see how much of a force he can be going forward, I have a hard time understanding what some of his ex managers did with him. 

The French Matt Le Tissier. 

23 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Just seen Pogba’s goal.

At least when we signed Mig we didn’t break the world record for him.

'Unstoppable' according to Keown on co-commentary last night even though I reckon I saved one just like that playing 7 a side about an hour earlier.

We'd best win on Sunday.  I can't be doing with the media fawning over them if we don't.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's always been bizarre that he's often been given defensive responsibility throughout most of his career. I've been saying it for a while, he's a #10 (credit to me). You gotta give him a free role in most games. Not against the best of the best, but in most games.  

Like he did for France this summer, he can do a decent job for the team recycling the ball deeper in midfield, but when you see how much of a force he can be going forward, I have a hard time understanding what some of his ex managers did with him. 

Pogba is a no 8. It was Vidal who played at the top of the diamond when they were both there.

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Pogba is a no 8. It was Vidal who played at the top of the diamond when they were both there.

Yes, mate I know he was a #8. That's been my point, he shouldn't have been there. He's thriving in a free role and he's more natural doing that. Again, credit to me for figuring this out long ago. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, mate I know he was a #8. That's been my point, he shouldn't have been there. He's thriving in a free role and he's more natural doing that. Again, credit to me for figuring this out long ago. 

It was Mata who played at no 10 last night?

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Pipe down, I'm educating. 

The mis-education of TLW

Fair play, on reflection, not my place to pass comment to be honest.

False 7 is a new one on me though. Just looked like an attacking midfielder playing on the right, didn’t think it was anything position defining.

You are our expert though and I receive your summary with good grace!

• Downvote 1

Yep, it's basically just a playmaker/attacking mid that plays on the wing. Usually does the defending outwide but drops into the half-space when in possession. Basically, what Coutinho used to do for us, or Shaq nowadays. That said, I don't think there is a definite technical term for that position. False winger or wide playmaker could just as easily be used. 

However, Mata did not actually play as a false winger yesterday. He was used at the top of a diamond. So, he was predominantly in the centre in both attacking and defensive phases as he was tasked with man marking Jorginho.

26 minutes ago, CWD82 said:

The mis-education of TLW

Fair play, on reflection, not my place to pass comment to be honest.

False 7 is a new one on me though. Just looked like an attacking midfielder playing on the right, didn’t think it was anything position defining.

You are our expert though and I receive your summary with good grace!

It was a joke. aRdja is obsessed by players' "natural positions". I find it boring because players can often play in many different roles and are good in many different positions but sometimes they're stuck in one role. False 7 is a bullshit term but it's basically a right winger that cuts inside. That's mostly where Mata has played, although yeah not yesterday.