You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

RE: trophy arguement -- that's very fair in abstract, but I think there are certain players who are key to winning those trophies, and for those players its a big '+' on the CV. For example David May played next to no part in winning those league medals (and Diomede certainly didn't influence the World Cup win); whereas Gerrard for example was central to the 2005 European Cup win and his legacy reflects that.

Eto'o was pretty pivotal for Barca (although its their midfield that lives in the memory) and was extremely pivotal at Inter; not sure Aguero touches Eto'o over the 5 or so years when he was at his peak, but conversely he's had more longevity (he was banging them in for Atletico at age 18 while Eto'o didn't even get out of Mallorca until around age 24). Aguero's been in a few very good teams now ..bit of an onus on him as City's star forward to get it done in Europe. 

I still think City struggle from the same thing PSG do, they're essentially a small club. It has a huge impact when playing in the European Cup. Less vocal support from the fans, less experience generally as a club and obviously none of winning it, considerably more chance of shitting the bed, etc. I remember the PSG v Real Madrid tie from last year, PSG were big favourites. They were crushing everyone in their pub league, and Real Madrid were playing awfully in La Liga, yet the experience told. 

Thank fuck he didn't go to United.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I still think City struggle from the same thing PSG do, they're essentially a small club. It has a huge impact when playing in the European Cup. Less vocal support from the fans, less experience generally as a club and obviously none of winning it, considerably more chance of shitting the bed, etc. I remember the PSG v Real Madrid tie from last year, PSG were big favourites. They were crushing everyone in their pub league, and Real Madrid were playing awfully in La Liga, yet the experience told. 

Thank fuck he didn't go to United.

Yes agreed. Conversely what a shame we didn't get Aguero, as below article (and quotes from Sergio himself) suggested was possible at the time --> https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/2371849/aguero-eyes-reds-move

David Silva and Sergio Aguero added to what Benitez had at the time would have been .. something! Shame those Texan cowboys made us utterly broke.

Eto’o was not pivotal to their success.  He was a top forward but that’s it.  They had the greatest midfield trio ever at the peak of their powers.  Nobody could get the ball off the cunts and they played a brand of football that hadn’t really been seen before.  Any top forward of that era bar that Swedish yard dog could have played in that team and made a success of it.  This isn’t even taking into account they had Messi.

Aguero is basically a better everything than him and is probably still the most underrated player in our league.

12 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'm afraid I have to declare a general moratorium on making fun of Everton this week, seeing as City travel to Goodison next weekend and we could do with them doing us a huge favour.

We can still enjoy any slip ups against Watford on Monday. 

It was Anubis on here who turned me on to the wonderful musings of SteveO on GOT, I have to say I am well and truly hooked on the great man, apparently Salahs  first goal was the most blatant offside you will ever see and  if VAR was up and running today’s result would have been a draw or possibly a Bournemouth win. The boy is a genius.

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

We did today.

We did, I totally agree. I mean, so far this season - across the games in which we've picked up our insane amount of points - we've not been playing to our full potential. We have gears to go through, as we saw at times today. I'm... excited. 

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'm afraid I have to declare a general moratorium on making fun of Everton this week, seeing as City travel to Goodison next weekend and we could do with them doing us a huge favour.

Come on. It's Everton. You won't get a bigger away banker this season.

EDIT: er, or at least you won't when it's played next year, as next week's game is in Manchester.

10 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

What about this Chelsea beaut..... calling Sterling ‘a fucking black c**t’

Absolutely shocking, there’s a black Chelsea fan literally three seats away, vile.

https://twitter.com/leonknight_/status/1071501660952948737?s=21

Looks like yet another hilarious mishearing of "Manc".

• Upvote 1

Would a cockney use "manc"?  It is not a commonly used term.  Liverpool people are the only people I have heard use it.

Looks like "black" to me.

Either way, I hope his family see it.  There should come a point in life when you refrain from such vicious vitriol. 

(And for full disclosure, I speak as someone who sometimes does get carried away at football matches, and as someone who has been in the front row of games and shouted abuse into the face of an opposition player in my younger days.  Everton it was.  And I was sitting with the Everton fans.  In the days before social media, it was just caught on the telly and then thankfully disappeared...)

Embarrassing.

• Like 1