You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

13 minutes ago, RazorBack said:

I think they are better. That team in todays football wouldn't be nearly as good. Hard to compare anyway.

??? We're talking 2009 here, not 1969.

Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Delph, Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Sane, Sterling, Aguero

v

Valdes, Alves, Puyol, Pique, Abidal, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Henry, Eto'o

City dont have a single player that makes that Barca side. Not one.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Delph, Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Sane, Sterling, Aguero

v

Valdes, Alves, Puyol, Pique, Abidal, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Henry, Eto'o

I would have Ederson and Aguero.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

v

Aguero, maybe not once you factor Villa into the equation.

10 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

v

Yeah, Ederson might be slightly better than Valdes was but that's it. 

Have that you financially juiced, state owned cheating rats.

The cloak of invincibility has been torn and that should at least give other sides some belief that these are not unbeatable....really needs a team from outisde top 5 to give them a bloody nose next - that would really help as lets face it the mediocrity that is the rest of the league are terrified and have no belief against them.

Tough run of games for us prior to playing them but if we can stick with them as we come out of this mad period of games and after going to theirs then we might just be in a race. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jairzinho said:

I would have Ederson and Aguero.

Ederson maybe, that's fair although Valdes in his peak Barca days was a very good keeper, but Aguero? Over who - Eto'o? The latter at his best was an absolute beast ... led the attack for 3 European Cup winning sides. Aguero's great but needs a European Cup medal by the time he retires to get into those historic conversations.

Just now, Alex_K said:

Ederson maybe, that's fair although Valdes in his peak Barca days was a very good keeper, but Aguero? Over who - Eto'o? The latter at his best was an absolute beast ... led the attack for 3 European Cup winning sides. Aguero's great but needs a European Cup medal by the time he retires to get into those historic conversations.

Yes, Eto'o. 

I'm not really interested in the "needs this trophy" type arguments. David May has won the league, Gerrard hasn't. Diomede has a world cup winner's medal. Di Stefano and Cruyff didn't.

I think it depends how you want the team to play. At pace, on the break a lot, Eto'o. Slightly more tippy tappy stuff, Aguero. Also more likely to score a goal out of nothing. I think Aguero is a better all round footballer than Eto'o was.

Commentators talking about a great Chelsea performance & questioning whether this will contribute to increased consistency from them .. probably not. They don't have enough goal scorers in the squad to be consistent at the historic-levels being set by City and ourselves. A result like against Wolves is probably always around the corner for them. In terms of firepower, Arsenal are the ones probably closed to us and City .. indeed if that Emirates fixture from the first game of the season was re-played next week it wouldnt be impossible to imagine there being only a 2 point gap between the two after 16 games.

Hope we can keep Van Dijk fit through the next congested period as he's probably our most important player (given the options in reserve in other positions) .. can't ask for any more than this almost halfway into the season ..

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, Eto'o. 

I'm not really interested in the "needs this trophy" type arguments. David May has won the league, Gerrard hasn't. Diomede has a world cup winner's medal. Di Stefano and Cruyff didn't.

I think it depends how you want the team to play. At pace, on the break a lot, Eto'o. Slightly more tippy tappy stuff, Aguero. Also more likely to score a goal out of nothing. I think Aguero is a better all round footballer than Eto'o was.

RE: trophy arguement -- that's very fair in abstract, but I think there are certain players who are key to winning those trophies, and for those players its a big '+' on the CV. For example David May played next to no part in winning those league medals (and Diomede certainly didn't influence the World Cup win); whereas Gerrard for example was central to the 2005 European Cup win and his legacy reflects that.

Eto'o was pretty pivotal for Barca (although its their midfield that lives in the memory) and was extremely pivotal at Inter; not sure Aguero touches Eto'o over the 5 or so years when he was at his peak, but conversely he's had more longevity (he was banging them in for Atletico at age 18 while Eto'o didn't even get out of Mallorca until around age 24). Aguero's been in a few very good teams now ..bit of an onus on him as City's star forward to get it done in Europe.