You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

23 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Just read a story about betting companies agreeing to stop advertising on TV before, during and after matches, even the evening kick-offs which run past the watershed. Apparently, ITV had 90 minutes worth of betting companies adverts right before, during and after the World Cup matches, which just shows how much they were taking over advertising streams. People drink, smoke/vape, gamble and eat fast food all the time anyway so I'm not sure how much impact the extra advertising has. Plus, those adverts are shit.

I want them banned because they are fucking shit. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Just read a story about betting companies agreeing to stop advertising on TV before, during and after matches, even the evening kick-offs which run past the watershed. Apparently, ITV had 90 minutes worth of betting companies adverts right before, during and after the World Cup matches, which just shows how much they were taking over advertising streams. People drink, smoke/vape, gamble and eat fast food all the time anyway so I'm not sure how much impact the extra advertising has. Plus, those adverts are shit.

Good

If I never have to see Ray Winston floating Steve Bruce sized head again I'll die a happy man

23 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

He's alright. A 1-in-2 man for periods if you are very lucky; not that he's ever even approached 1-in-2 for a full season, mind. Comes up with the spectacular usually in a 3 or 4 game run (that inevitably features us!) then goes large swathes of being pretty anonymous. The fact his 2 best seasons (not that they were ever verging incredible, with 14 and 16 goals respectively) were sandwiched between a pretty disgraceful 4 goals in 31 game season probably sums him up.

Salah scored twice-as-many goals last season as Hazard has ever managed in a league season, despite Hazard being in multiple title winning sides. And even then, Hazard only got 16 (half of Mo's 32 last year) the once. That is an insane statistic -- but it didn't stop Carragher and the likes comparing Hazard to Pele earlier this season (or indeed to Ronaldo / Messi in years gone by, when those two are in a whole other stratosphere). Mo will no doubt get more this season, too. Sterling put up better numbers last year in all competitions than Hazard has in his whole career. He'll do it again this year too.

I stopped reading at 'he's alright'. He is one of the best footballers on the fucking planet.  Probably the best in the premier League, so I don't know what your bar is but if 'he's alright'....jeez.

Reminds me of that time code said he could name ten better right backs than Glen Johnson and was naming Bolton players!

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He is one of the best but the issue has always been his ability to not give a shit and not turn up for months on end. That's not a great player imo. 

Look at this season getting loads of plaudits and not scored in 2 months

He carries that Chelsea team and they are so much weaker without him.  He's in the top five players in world football and that's inclusive of probably the two greatest to have played the game. 

9 minutes ago, Naby's Nuts said:

Yeah, if only he hadn't won the PFA player of the year and league in that timeframe!

For one season and the next he was shite. Nobody saying he isn't great, people are saying if your going to pay the fee and wages he would want you expect performance each week. 

43 minutes ago, Naby's Nuts said:

I stopped reading at 'he's alright'. He is one of the best footballers on the fucking planet.  Probably the best in the premier League, so I don't know what your bar is but if 'he's alright'....jeez.

Reminds me of that time code said he could name ten better right backs than Glen Johnson and was naming Bolton players!

As this - and your other replies following - attest,

you don’t seem capable of balanced thought or logical conversation. That’s alright. I’ll offer you a bet that both Salah & Sterling put up better numbers than Hazard this year — domestically and in all comps. Want to take it?

8 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

As this - and your other replies following - attest,

you don’t seem capable of balanced thought or logical conversation. That’s alright. I’ll offer you a bet that both Salah & Sterling put up better numbers than Hazard this year — domestically and in all comps. Want to take it?

What are you talking about, logical conversation?  I'm having a perfectly civilised debate. 

You have called Hazard 'alright'!  Its absolute hogwash, mate.  He's an immense footballer and you think he's average, bizarre.

And as for the 'numbers'.  Its not a measure of contribution obut more about importance for a team.  Sterling will probably score more than Hazard, but if you think he's a better player you're fucking deluded.  He's playing in a better team who puts things a plate for him.  Put Hazard in that team and he scores double what sterling does. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Naby's Nuts said:

What are you talking about, logical conversation?  I'm having a perfectly civilised debate. 

You have called Hazard 'alright'!  Its absolute hogwash, mate.  He's an immense footballer and you think he's average, bizarre.

And as for the 'numbers'.  Its not a measure of contribution or importance for a team.  Sterling will probably score more than Hazard, but if you think he's a better player you're fucking deluded.  He's playing in a better team who puts things a plate for him.  Put Hazard in that team and he scores double what sterling does. 

Right. So you don’t want to take it.

A top 5 player in the world who has never even reached 1-in-2 for a season as an out and out winger/forward. Interesting.

He’s a player capable of the sublime, but his careee statistics don’t merit inclusion anywhere near the very best. 

The excuses trotted out that he’d change under Sarri vs Conte/Mourinho don’t seem to have born fruit. Few flashes of brilliance then same old inconsistent Hazard. Didn’t even realise he hadn’t scored in 2’months.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Right. So you don’t want to take it.

A top 5 player in the world who has never even reached 1-in-2 for a season as an out and out winger/forward. Interesting.

He’s a player capable of the sublime, but his careee statistics don’t merit inclusion anywhere near the very best. 

The excuses trotted out that he’d change under Sarri vs Conte/Mourinho don’t seem to have born fruit. Few flashes of brilliance then same old inconsistent Hazard. Didn’t even realise he hadn’t scored in 2’months.

Take what? 

You think sterling is better than Hazard?  He's an inferior player playing in one of the best teams to have played the game!  Yer ma would probably outscore sterling if you swapped them!

Hazard leaves plenty on the table. He's probably the second most technically gifted player in the world behind Messi yet in terms of performances he's barely top 10 in the world at best in any given season. The ease with which he can just fuck with defenders makes everyone overrate him though. The reality is that he doesn't actually produce like he should. 

But no shit it would be great if we had him. Talk about a no shit Sherlock statement. Doesn't really need to be said. 

9 hours ago, Naby's Nuts said:

Take what? 

You think sterling is better than Hazard?  He's an inferior player playing in one of the best teams to have played the game!  Yer ma would probably outscore sterling if you swapped them!

At their very best Hazard is better than Sterling, but Sterling is at his best more often than Hazard, so there’s a genuine case of picking Sterling before him given the choice.