You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

13 hours ago, Aventus said:

Does relegation apply to our group? With there only being 3 teams. most of the others have 4

There is no Promotion from the Top Division and no Relegation from the Bottom Division. But other wise it's a League Ladder. 

All the nations are separated into four Leagues - imaginatively named A, B, C & D. These Leagues are then split into four Groups.My understanding is that the bottom team in each group gets relegated to the next LEAGUE down. Winners of Groups get promoted to the next LEAGUE up. Note this is Leagues & not Groups.

Winners of the groups also go into play offs, which offer the opportunity to be crowned LEAGUE winner but also, controversially, qualification to Euro 2020. Note that the winner of League D's play off (the minnows of Europe) will qualify for the next European Championships! Present League D group leaders are: Georgia (already won their group actually), Belarus, Kosovo & FYR Macedonia... 

So if England finish bottom they'll end up in League B next time around, which will mean they'll be playing with the likes of (as of today) Austria, Bosnia, Denmark, Rep of Ireland (could be relegated on Monday I believe). Northern Ireland were relegated last night from League B to League C without playing a 'Nations League' Game as they were in a group of 3. Scotland could be promoted to League B & potentially face England. 

So much less glamorous for England in the group phase, but you'd expect them to come up against other big teams in the play offs. Germany could be Relegated too so England could end up playing them in a League B Play Off Final to qualify for the next tournament. See present places here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/nations-league/table 

That means next time out England, if relegated, could have a much easier pathway to qualifying for whatever tournament it's a pathway for... e.g. if they were in a group with Austria & Israel, you'd expect them to win that & go to the play offs for the automatic spot in the tournament (say Euro 2024, or maybe World Cup 2022?). Less glamorous but means that the entire qualification process could be done before the actual qualifiers happen! 

Which is the next foible... Euro 2020 Qualification starts next year... the Nations League Play Offs are next June... so you play the first couple of rounds of Qualification, qualify in the summer of 2019 and then all subsequent qualifiers for the Euros are dead rubbers if you've qualified... that's got to be about 8 qualifiers over Autumn 2019. It's bizarre. 

Sorry for the long reply, hopefully I've kept that simple to follow. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elite said:

It's a load of bollocks that no fan gives two fucks about. It disrupts the flow of the season and usually injures a few of our players.

The problem is outside the fans of the top teams lots of people like Ingurland games. 

I can remember a time when I was quite proud when Liverpool players were called up . Now its a fucking joke , every cunt in the league gets capped for playing meaningless games against dross 

I think that attitude is a bit unfair.

We are lucky enough to be able to see our world-class players in every game they play, but spare a thought for fantastic supporters trudging the length and breadth of the country following relatively poor teams every week.

I don't begrudge them a little bit of stardust every so often.

5 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

There is no Promotion from the Top Division and no Relegation from the Bottom Division. But other wise it's a League Ladder. 

All the nations are separated into four Leagues - imaginatively named A, B, C & D. These Leagues are then split into four Groups.My understanding is that the bottom team in each group gets relegated to the next LEAGUE down. Winners of Groups get promoted to the next LEAGUE up. Note this is Leagues & not Groups.

Winners of the groups also go into play offs, which offer the opportunity to be crowned LEAGUE winner but also, controversially, qualification to Euro 2020. Note that the winner of League D's play off (the minnows of Europe) will qualify for the next European Championships! Present League D group leaders are: Georgia (already won their group actually), Belarus, Kosovo & FYR Macedonia... 

So if England finish bottom they'll end up in League B next time around, which will mean they'll be playing with the likes of (as of today) Austria, Bosnia, Denmark, Rep of Ireland (could be relegated on Monday I believe). Northern Ireland were relegated last night from League B to League C without playing a 'Nations League' Game as they were in a group of 3. Scotland could be promoted to League B & potentially face England. 

So much less glamorous for England in the group phase, but you'd expect them to come up against other big teams in the play offs. Germany could be Relegated too so England could end up playing them in a League B Play Off Final to qualify for the next tournament. See present places here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/nations-league/table 

That means next time out England, if relegated, could have a much easier pathway to qualifying for whatever tournament it's a pathway for... e.g. if they were in a group with Austria & Israel, you'd expect them to win that & go to the play offs for the automatic spot in the tournament (say Euro 2024, or maybe World Cup 2022?). Less glamorous but means that the entire qualification process could be done before the actual qualifiers happen! 

Which is the next foible... Euro 2020 Qualification starts next year... the Nations League Play Offs are next June... so you play the first couple of rounds of Qualification, qualify in the summer of 2019 and then all subsequent qualifiers for the Euros are dead rubbers if you've qualified... that's got to be about 8 qualifiers over Autumn 2019. It's bizarre. 

Hang on, this nations league thing effects qualification for the Euro's? Is that right? 

On a side note I'm looking forward to Holland v France later. 

8 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

A fine effort by the way , no disgrace on your part but that's about as clear as mud 

• Upvote 1