You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To be fair to Guardiola, I’m not sure he has one single player who you would say is the best (or even approaching the best) in the world in that position. De Bruyne maybe .. David Silva maybe .. but they are individually certainly not remotely as spectacular as his Barca or Bayern players were (who were the backbones of two dominant World Cup winning sides), which does make the feat more impressive. David Silva was clearly always a good player but seems to have gone up several levels under Guardiola.

Has he been the greatest? As good as Messi or Ronaldo? As sublime as Luis Suarez? Lewandowski even? Statistically as good as Harry Kane? No, probably not. A very very good player no doubt, but not the sort of individual that independently elevates a team to sensational-status.

would be good to see City up against Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Juve or PSG this season to see where they stand.

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

You can be sure Guardiola will never put himself in a position where he is working with lesser players.

And why would he?

If I'm the CEO of Apple, should I quit and go takeover a middling electronics firm just to prove to people I can be successful there too? 

This Man City love in on here is making me feel ill. They've spent absurd amounts of money and bought some of the best players in every position and one of the better managers in football, it's no wonder they're where they are. I just wish they'd fuck off.

• Upvote 11

7 minutes ago, RedPaul said:

This Man City love in on here is making me feel ill. They've spent absurd amounts of money and bought some of the best players in every position and one of the better managers in football, it's no wonder they're where they are. I just wish they'd fuck off.

Exactly. 

54 minutes ago, RedPaul said:

You missed out the bit about how they deliberately broke all the financial rules which were supposed to stop sides doing exactly what they've done.  

• Upvote 4

City's owners effectively pressed the cheat button in that they've sewn every facet of football and everything linked to football right up on the premise that everything is for sale in one way or another and therefore if you chuck enough money at it eventually you get your way. I read in the football leaks that part of their FFP dodge was basically saying to UEFA "we can afford more high-priced lawyers than you can and we'll just keep throwing money at them on a point of principle rather than climb down and follow your rules or even comprimise" - eventually Infantino and his ilk can't be arsed standing up for pricniples any longer (or more realistically get enough scraps in their trough) and the whole thing goes away. This boot on the face of footballing history juggernaut that's emerging under Saint fucking Pep, Protector of the Spirit of the Game and Shiny Headed Lord of Football is the end game of it.

It's pretty obvious that they're trying to equate Manchester City with Brand Abu Dhabi: if there was a way they could have paid to establish a PL team called Abu Dhabi FC that could be absorbed into the PL with no sniggering in the back then they would have done; there wasn't so they've done the next best thing and appropriated a no-mark club and claimed all the subsequent success: everyone knows that City were a tinpot club until they came along so it's accepted that this is their success (if they'd have bought us or Manchester United that would be a more difficult distinction to make). They're going to make sure they're hyper successful and spare no expense in the process in a vainglorious attempt to show the world just how superior Abu Dhabi is (and stop looking at the backgrounds of the individuals involved).

It's why their fans are the most sterile set of rivalry-hunters in the country: they're desperate for some sort of relevance given that they know they've witnessed a white-collar hijacking of their football club, and no amount of uber-manc stadium announcers and glossy PR about Phil fucking Foden and his glittering future in a sky blue shirt is going to change it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don’t think Barca financially overpowered Real. There’s no doubt City do, though. It’d be interesting to see if his methods can transfer to lesser players. 

Agree with them not financially being overpowered but he couldn't have been luckier with that crop of talent the academy gave him. Not that should overshadow what he did. 

Bit like Fergus on and the crop that Utd had in the 90s. Getting the right players around them was key. Both did it and we failed

If someone had offered this at the start of the season, i would have bit their hands off. Great start, especially when our world class attack is off form.

The next few weeks will be definitive. Watford, bournemouth, burnley and city away with arsenal, manc scum and everton at home. We come through that and it's fucking game on.

This january could be crucial in the transfer window. We need to buy for the squad.

• Upvote 1