You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I didn’t think we were going to win the league this year. I still don’t. City were by far the best team in the league last season, and they strengthened even further in the summer. I think it’s actually  encouraging that we are now much closer to them than we were at any point last season.

It is encouraging but it is to me also 'depressing' that we are as good as we are and are quite likely going to have a season that in normal times would win the title and end up short because of being up against a team who are breaking all sorts of records.

But all we can do is just keep winning as many games as we can and see what that brings.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

8 changes for Bournemouth tonight.

Just why!

They aren't going down, they have no European commitments so why not play best team and you never know you might actually win a fucking trophy.

Most of the time I'd agree with this, but Bournemouth are doing alright in the league, they're potentially knocking on a Europa league spot if they keep it up, so they're playing the long game to get some "European commitments" set up for next year. 

Plus they won in spite of the 8 changes so it seems like a wise decision in hindsight. 

Fair play to them. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Aventus said:

Most of the time I'd agree with this, but Bournemouth are doing alright in the league, they're potentially knocking on a Europa league spot if they keep it up, so they're playing the long game to get some "European commitments" set up for next year. 

Plus they won in spite of the 8 changes so it seems like a wise decision in hindsight. 

Fair play to them. 

Watch them then rest players in europe ala Burnley

Real Madrid. Roberto Martinez.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6335123/Roberto-Martinez-favourite-land-Real-Madrid-job.html

Roberto Martinez is the shock leading candidate to become the new manager of Real Madrid.

The former Everton manager’s stock has never been higher after he guided Belgium to a third-place finish at the World Cup and he now has an outstanding chance to land the biggest job in club football.

It had seemed almost certain that former Chelsea manager Antonio Conte would take over from Julen Lopetegui, whose disastrous four-month reign ended after Madrid were trounced 5-1 by Barcelona at the weekend but there was a dramatic twist late on Monday night.

Sportsmail understands that key figures within Madrid’s dressing room were opposed to the appointment of the Italian which prompted the club’s hierarchy to scrap that plan.

That now means Martinez could be given the opportunity to revive the campaign of the reigning Champions League holders and he is the favourite to become the next permanent manager.

Madrid have not yet made a formal approach to Martinez’s long-term advisor Chris Farnell nor have they been in contact with the Belgian FA to speak about releasing the 45-year-old from his contract, which runs until after Euro 2020.

Martinez does not have a release clause in the terms he agreed in May and Belgium would be loathe to lose him so soon after his assistant Thierry Henry quit to take over as manager of Monaco; Madrid’s task, therefore, would not be straightforward.

The opportunity to lead Belgium was something that fascinated Martinez and he embraced the challenge, uprooting his young family from their home in Lancashire to a base outside Brussels.

He has been linked with jobs before but none have had the prestige of Real Madrid and if he is to return to club management, there could be no bigger stage than the Bernabeu. Though he was born in Catalonia, his heritage would not provide an obstacle to him being recruited.

If Martinez was to be appointed, there could potentially be a spin-off further down the line as he has a strong relationship with Eden Hazard and built his team at the World Cup to get the best out of the Chelsea forward.

That decision was significant as a large percentage of Belgians - primarily the country’s Flemish speakers - wanted Martinez to give a platform to Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne but he was adamant Hazard would scale new heights.

‘He is one of the world’s most complete footballers and you could build a project around him,’ Martinez said after Belgium returned from Russia.

For the moment, though, Santiago Solari has been placed in caretaker charge and his first game will be Wednesday night's Copa Del Rey tie against Melilla, which Madrid would be expected to win comfortably.

‘I am very excited and very satisfied,’ Solari said. ‘Coaching Madrid is a great opportunity. This is a squad full of champions and warriors.’

How the fuck has Martinez got himself in the frame for the Real Madrid job. Won the FA Cup with Wigan the season they got relegated? Under-achieved with a massively talented Belgium squad at the world cup. I hope they do get him to be fair because thats them fucked. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

How the fuck has Martinez got himself in the frame for the Real Madrid job. Won the FA Cup with Wigan the season they got relegated? Under-achieved with a massively talented Belgium squad at the world cup. I hope they do get him to be fair because thats them fucked. 

How can you question this? One Everton fan's musings from when we beat them four nil at Anfield in January 2014. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

A comparison with Mourinho struck me as I watched Roberto standing on the sideline suffering what was the worst hour of his career.

Remember the 5-0 hammering Barcelona gave Mourinho's Madrid a few years ago. Mourinho deliberately went and stood on the sideline htat night and took the flak, took the ridicule but crucially did not hide away. Bobby reminded me of that last night. Trying to find a way to get us out of the dump without being further mauled but not hiding away in the dugout. Out on the sideline in the rain taking the torrent of humiliation like a man.

Good for him. I am chuffed to bits that such a dignified elegant and articulate football man is the manager of our great great football club. One defeat means nothing. They can have their divers and biters. We have the Grand Old Club that lives in our hearts.

Forza Bobby COYB.

• Upvote 2

Dublin Fire Brigade urge people to 'do the Neymar' if they catch fire on Halloween

Neymar was accused of theatrically diving at last summer's World Cup. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)1
Neymar was accused of theatrically diving at last summer's World Cup. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

Michelle Devane

•  

•  
  •  

Dublin Fire Brigade has urged people to "do the Neymar" if they find themselves catching fire over the Halloween period.

While having a playful dig at the Brazilian footballer, the Irish capital's fire service advised people who end up in difficulty to "stop, drop and roll" to smother any flames.

It tweeted a gif of the footballer writhing on the ground in slow motion with the words: "STOP, DROP & ROLL. If you find yourself in a position where your costume, or clothes, catch fire do the #Neymar.

"Running will only fan the flames and help the fire spread. STOPPING, DROPPING & ROLLING will smother the flames."

Neymar attracted worldwide attention for his extravagant dives during matches at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The fire service has been actively campaigning about the dangers of fireworks and bonfires in the lead up to Halloween.

Fireworks in Ireland are illegal but every year the service is called out to hundreds of fire-related incidents on October 31.

It launched its 'Be Safe - Stay Safe' campaign last week with a demonstration for school children to show how easy it is to sustain injuries when using fireworks or by getting close to a bonfire.

In other tweets it urged people to be particularly careful of naked flames and appealed for them to use LED alternatives instead.

If people insist on using candles they said they should make sure they are kept away from curtains, decorations and costumes.

Homemade costumes are more likely to catch fire and spread.

The service has also been urging people to enlist the help of their "little ghouls and goblins" to help test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.