You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Given City’s resources finishing second is more of an indication of how good a team is than actually winning the thing. They might have a transitional season here and there when a manager is either new or loses interest, but for the most part they’ll win the league more often than not until their owners get bored. I hope that day isn’t too far away, because if they carry on as they have been, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re the next team to get to 20 titles.

21 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

its going to take 90 points plus to finish above city isint it

At the very least.

The league is choker with mediocrity and cowardly teams.

They'll get close on 100 again only thing that will stop them getting that many is if they are out of reach at top and going for european cup.

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

At the very least.

The league is choker with mediocrity and cowardly teams.

They'll get close on 100 again only thing that will stop them getting that many is if they are out of reach at top and going for european cup.

The bottom teams are no worse than in the past. In fact they're probably far better as they have more spending power then they've ever had. The difference is that the top 6 is now so good that it makes the other teams look bad. 

In fairness teams have dominated financially throughout the history of the premier, Blackburn, Utd, Chelsea but I’ve never seen anything like this, I’m not being pessimistic but I don’t see how we overthrow these, yes I know we can beat them on our day and regularly do, but over the course of a season, I just don’t see it.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The bottom teams are no worse than in the past. In fact they're probably far better as they have more spending power then they've ever had. The difference is that the top 6 is now so good that it makes the other teams look bad. 

I'm not so sure about that...i think we have entered a period where much like with rotation in the cups even from teams who aren't gonnna go down and who never win anything  to 'save players' we have teams going to city and barely putting in a performance as they are 'saving' themselves for 'more winnable' games ahead.

You used to see the odd surprise result, teams digging in and grabbing draws etc....city are walking games, winning by cricket scores and not even having goals against them - all versus opponents who for my money are beaten before they start/totally overawed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Given City’s resources finishing second is more of an indication of how good a team is than actually winning the thing. They might have a transitional season here and there when a manager is either new or loses interest, but for the most part they’ll win the league more often than not until their owners get bored. I hope that day isn’t too far away, because if they carry on as they have been, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re the next team to get to 20 titles.

United have spent similarly so 2nd for them would represent failure.

44 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Tell you what, it's gonna be really, really hard to take when we finish on 88 points and still finish 7 points shy of City, not even in the title race by the middle of April.

It’s going to be even harder for City to take when they’ve scored shitload more goals than us but we finish above them by three points having won every game between now and the end of the season by one goal to nil.

35 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

who have city played by the way? 

In the league:

Arsenal (A)

Huddersfield (H)

Wolves (A)

Newcastle (H)

Fulham (H)

Cardiff (A)

Brighton (H)

Liverpool (A)

Burnley (H)

Tottenham (A) is their next game

In the League Cup:

Oxford (A)

Fulham (H) is their game in the next round. Fulham are leaking like a sieve at the minute.

In the CL:

Lyon (H)

Hoffenheim (A)

They have a double header against Shakhtar Donetsk next

---

So far, the only side they've faced that could be considered one of the elite is ourselves. Top-6 wise, they've only faced Arsenal, and that was in the opening game where Emery was still finding his feet in England. They've played all 3 promoted clubs too.

By contrast, we've had away games at Tottenham and Chelsea in the league, plus the City game at home. We also faced Chelsea in the League Cup, plus PSG and Napoli in the CL. PSG have dominated in France for years because they are on a different financial field, and Napoli might have won Serie A once or twice in the last few years if Juventus weren't being Juventus. The first promoted club we face is Cardiff at home next weekend.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Trumo said:

In the league:

Arsenal (A)

Huddersfield (H)

Wolves (A)

Newcastle (H)

Fulham (H)

Cardiff (A)

Brighton (H)

Liverpool (A)

Burnley (H)

Tottenham (A) is their next game

In the League Cup:

Oxford (A)

Fulham (H) is their game in the next round. Fulham are leaking like a sieve at the minute.

In the CL:

Lyon (H)

Hoffenheim (A)

They have a double header against Shakhtar Donetsk next

---

So far, the only side they've faced that could be considered one of the elite is ourselves. Top-6 wise, they've only faced Arsenal, and that was in the opening game where Emery was still finding his feet in England. They've played all 3 promoted clubs too.

By contrast, we've had away games at Tottenham and Chelsea in the league, plus the City game at home. We also faced Chelsea in the League Cup, plus PSG and Napoli in the CL. PSG have dominated in France for years because they are on a different financial field, and Napoli might have won Serie A once or twice in the last few years if Juventus weren't being Juventus. The first promoted club we face is Cardiff at home next weekend.

Exactly, they've played nobody yet.

Im not denying the fuckers are playing some super football.

But if they smash Chelsea, Spurs and Utd, then ill start to worry, until then im happy more than happy with keeping pace with them.

• Like 1