You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

30 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

And whichever mid to lower table team he ends up playing for will be lucky to have him, I'm sure. 

Worth persisting IMO. Not many players have the audacity as well as skill to execute that free kick, let alone against the biggest team in the world. Might be something there. 

I liked the cut of his jib in interview.

Sky mong started with "well can you believe it" and Wilson very calmly and confidently said "yeah" and went on to say they know what they can do....

Totally taking the air out of the sky mongs balloon who clearly wanted him to come across as a giddy kid who has just won a game against the mighty man utd at the theatre of wet dreams and push the agenda of what a shock and amazing result it was...a totally calm and collected and almost dismissive Wilson was having none of it 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, Aye. 

Yeah, he'll never make it with us. Just like the others that went on loan and didn't make it for us. 

What happened to other players after going on loan should not be equated to what will happen to the players going on loan now. Different players, and depending on when they went on loan, possibly quite a different club.

What Wilson has that most of the young players who went on loan didn't have, is goals, and they can take you a long way. He may not make it with us, but him, and in my opinion Woodburn, have a better chance than any who have gone on loan before.

15 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

What happened to other players after going on loan should not be equated to what will happen to the players going on loan now. Different players, and depending on when they went on loan, possibly quite a different club.

I agree, it shouldn’t be equated with it. Just one of the reasons I didn’t do it. I was just saying that he’ll end up like the others. Not that the different events have any sort of correlation or equivalence.

As for Wilson, It is going to get harder and harder to break in as the team gets better and better. Especially as an attacker. Then you need to consider the market for young players like him, the money we’ve got for players like him recently, and the money teams who are desperate for attacking players have and are willing to spend. I would be very surprised if he does what others couldn’t, and drag himself out of the shop window that is the modern loan system.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

I liked the cut of his jib in interview.

Sky mong started with "well can you believe it" and Wilson very calmly and confidently said "yeah" and went on to say they know what they can do....

Totally taking the air out of the sky mongs balloon who clearly wanted him to come across as a giddy kid who has just won a game against the mighty man utd at the theatre of wet dreams and push the agenda of what a shock and amazing result it was...a totally calm and collected and almost dismissive Wilson was having none of it 

I watched the penalties after the fact for my viewing pleasure.

The utd players all celebrated their pens like it was a cup final; the Derby players all just jogged back to the centre circle.

Mason Mount looks to be some player. Its great to see 2 young players who are also on loan like him and Wilson on free kick duties, think Lampard is showing some promising early signs in his managerial career.

I know many don't care, but with the likes of Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Mason Mount, Phil Foden, Jadon Sancho, Ryan Sessgnon and others coming through, and added to the likes of Ali, Sterling and Rashford, England could have a fantastic team in a few years

I think the more important thing is whether or not playing on loan lower in the league system and doing well means going back to their club and being given a chance, or being sold as they can't break through. Say, for example, Harry Wilson and Mason Mount have brilliant seasons, Ryan Kent too, they come back to their clubs... what then? At the very best, a bit part player for the Carabao cup? Mount goes away, plays 29 games for Vitesse Arnhem, scores 1 in 3. Comes back, and straight in for... a loan to Derby. Harry Wilson, older then Joe Gomez, goes away and scores fucking 7 in 13, comes back... loan to Derby. 

We either need to start giving these players chances and rotating them in at the expense of other attackers, or we sell them so they can build their career in the Premier League, which is actually where they need to be to prove they can do it. That's going to be much easier for them if they don't have the likes of Mane, Salah, Kante, et al ahead of them. So managers need to give them a way in, but are under such pressure to perform that it's difficult and end up selling them for 10-20m. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think the more important thing is whether or not playing on loan lower in the league system and doing well means going back to their club and being given a chance, or being sold as they can't break through. Say, for example, Harry Wilson and Mason Mount have brilliant seasons, Ryan Kent too, they come back to their clubs... what then? At the very best, a bit part player for the Carabao cup? Mount goes away, plays 29 games for Vitesse Arnhem, scores 1 in 3. Comes back, and straight in for... a loan to Derby. Harry Wilson, older then Joe Gomez, goes away and scores fucking 7 in 13, comes back... loan to Derby. 

We either need to start giving these players chances and rotating them in at the expense of other attackers, or we sell them so they can build their career in the Premier League, which is actually where they need to be to prove they can do it. That's going to be much easier for them if they don't have the likes of Mane, Salah, Kante, et al ahead of them. So managers need to give them a way in, but are under such pressure to perform that it's difficult and end up selling them for 10-20m. 

Let's win something first, then the next step will be giving the young'uns a go.