You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Phil Thompson lost the plot?

Was aRdja right all along?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s better?

4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

The only reason United had to pay that money to fend off City reportedly! Pep’s a big fan.

I thought City ruled themselves out because they couldn't spend that much money on a player. They paid £80m because Leicester said pay that or no deal. Quite ironic that Leicester are now a better team since he left - although the biggest factor must be an improvement in the coaching. But to get £80m for a player and improve is the anti-United strategy.

I hope United continue to spend lots of money on players who end up stinking the place out.

Yeah, they pulled out because he wasn't worth anything like that. Even the nation state couldn't afford a player worth so little who cost so much. I prefer to judge a player on how well he plays, rather than how good he is. Otherwise our fullbacks are pretty shite and City's are way better. 

10 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I thought City ruled themselves out because they couldn't spend that much money on a player. They paid £80m because Leicester said pay that or no deal. Quite ironic that Leicester are now a better team since he left - although the biggest factor must be an improvement in the coaching. But to get £80m for a player and improve is the anti-United strategy.

I hope United continue to spend lots of money on players who end up stinking the place out.

Not really ironic, because Leicester spent the money well. Not unlike with us and Coutinho. I’m not sure what you’re arguing here Shooter... Three years ago, a poster here told us to keep an eye on a player from lowly Hull City who has since become a household name, and has had clubs invest close to £100m for his service. I think that’s pretty cool, and worth some sort of acknowledgement.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, they pulled out because he wasn't worth anything like that. Even the nation state couldn't afford a player worth so little who cost so much. I prefer to judge a player on how well he plays, rather than how good he is. Otherwise our fullbacks are pretty shite and City's are way better. 

I’d happily give credit to the first person who mentioned Robertson here. Was it @The Woolster?

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

I’d happily give credit to the first person who mentioned Robertson here. Was it @The Woolster?

Yes, because people that call out people who are both bargains and turn out to be the best in their positions for 7m quid deserve credit for a good call. Probably not so much when they bang on about the players for a number of years, then he turns out to be shite and a world record fee in his position. I wouldn't be giving too much back patting for that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, because people that call out people who are both bargains and turn out to be the best in their positions for 7m quid deserve credit for a good call. Probably not so much when they bang on about the players for a number of years, then he turns out to be shite and a world record fee in his position. I wouldn't be giving too much back patting for that. 

I don’t understand sorry NV. Hull paid £2.5m for Maguire at that time. He’s now the most expensive defender in the world. He’s good defender despite perhaps not being worth the money. He was never going to be better than Van Dijk. Even I said that earlier in this thread.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Not really ironic, because Leicester spent the money well. Not unlike with us and Coutinho. I’m not sure what you’re arguing here Shooter... Three years ago, a poster here told us to keep an eye on a player from lowly Hull City who has since become a household name, and has had clubs invest close to £100m for his service. I think that’s pretty cool, and worth some sort of acknowledgement.

The irony is that United sold lukaku for how much? Reported over £70m possibly more and spunked it on Maguire. I still feel it's ironic that united have deteriorated while leicester have improved. Maguire was good for leicester but he hasn't improved United. To say clubs have invested close to £100m for him is a little misleading as 4/5ths of that is what United paid. 

I cannot even remember who Leicester bought with them money. I'm not even convinced they did sign anyone but I just may not have noticed.

11 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

If you don’t want a discussion on this just say NV and I’ll drop it. It’s just that one minute you give the impression that you’d like a discussion and the next you refuse to engage and just post snide replies for reasons I don’t understand.

I’m not really sure what there is to discuss? You seem to want me to go back and quote things you’ve admitted to doing, and everybody knows you have done many times. You bleated I’m about Maguire relentlessly for ages, and have yourself a hearty pat on the back about him when he was sold for a ridiculous price to United, and you also bump threads to give yourself a pat on the back about other things all the time. Inpassing, I saw how poorly he is going down with United fans for all the reasons I mentioned a hundred times to you previously - he wouldn’t fit Liverpool, he’s slow, he turns like a tanker, he’s positionally poor, etc. What’s left to discuss? Are you saying we didn’t have those discussions and that you didn’t pat yourself in the back and that you don’t bump/quote your own posts? you are denying that then fine, I can’t be bothered to search the forum for them just to make you look daft. It’s really not worth the effort. 

• Upvote 5